X-Wing Cast from Original Parts

Id love a set of that. You shud get them cleaned up and casted up for those interested. lol. That would be so sweet!

For me the fuselage is the really critical piece. As heroic as efforts have been to scratch-sculpt one for us geeks, we're still lacking perfection. If this is from an original pyro, then I beg you, please, please cast this thing! This may be the Grail we seek. From these photos I can't really check all the proportion stuff I'd need to check to verify accuracy. For that I'd need to see ortho profile and top shots with the canopy in place. But if Monsieur Tox is already calling it genuine, then I'm very excited indeed. Cheers for posting and sharing!

Oh, you asked for some photos. Here are a few to start with. Bear in mind though that the first image and the b/w images probably show hero fuselages ( no seam line down the bottom and top) with pyro wings. Which means that there are very few good photos of pure pyro bodies. The fourth image (of Red 6) is one such, though.

Not wishing to start yet another recast flame-war, but how would it be acceptable to recast this kit rather than any other?

In all honesty, it isnt IMO......so all those who do (including me) bag on about recaster's......, still need to stop and think what they spout now and then, as it all gets a bit hypocritical...dont you think?

lee

Not wishing to start yet another recast flame-war, but how would it be acceptable to recast this kit rather than any other?

Because it's not "a kit" which is sold on the market, it never was either. I think we all agree that's acceptable to get recast from production items (one comes to mind is the storm trooper helmet but there are many original spaceships and props from various movies that have been recast).

That's not like recasting a model of a garagekit maker who is still producing it and sell it a cheaper price (and quality most of the time, but that not always the case).

After there is always the problem that it is the property of LucasFilm blablabla but so are all the Star Wars garage kits.

Also, it's not a kit.

If it's legit, it's a holy relic as far as I'm concerned.

If it's not cast, it could at least be hopefully documented/measured (taking shrinkage into account using the kit parts as a baseline) to see if we can finally nail the body correctly on a new replica... that's pretty presumptive though.

Whatever happens, cool casting and thanks for sharing!

Because it's not "a kit" which is sold on the market, it never was either. I think we all agree that's acceptable to get recast from production items (one comes to mind is the storm trooper helmet but there are many original spaceships and props from various movies that have been recast).

That's not like recasting a model of a garagekit maker who is still producing it and sell it a cheaper price (and quality most of the time, but that not always the case).

After there is always the problem that it is the property of LucasFilm blablabla but so are all the Star Wars garage kits.

Sorry, dont agree with that at all, its still copyright theft, which gets all very grey ill admit, but it is still recasting, kit or not, see what i mean, hypocritical.

lee

Wanna also add, just because a "kit" is retired, still doesnt make it fodder to be recast, from an existing casting...its still the pattern makers property who may have chosen to retire the molds.

lee

Oh, god, here we go again...... I don't suppose any "re-casting" wars could be taken to any of the hundreds of threads already existing on the subject so this thread can stay on on topic.

Also, it's not a kit.

If it's legit, it's a holy relic as far as I'm concerned.

If it's not cast, it could at least be hopefully documented/measured

I echoed these exact same sentiments in my conversations with Dave.
I would like to add that this type of resin (dark tan parts) is known for a very-slight expansive property (as opposed to shrinkage).

Oh, god, here we go again...... I don't suppose any "re-casting" wars could be taken to any of the hundreds of threads already existing on the subject so this thread can stay on on topic.

Yes, please! I started this thread to share this piece of history with a group of people I was sure would appreciate it. If it is going to degenerate into another "Ethics of Recasting" thread. then I'll just refrain from posting any more pictures. pack up my ball and bat and go home!

:)

"Molds were pulled and additional castings made, of which this is a set."

And ..... despite having no contact with the original mold maker or any knowledge of his intentions - the usual suspects who condemn recasting as if it were on a par with child murdering will **** themselves with excitement as they beg you to drop this in a bucket of silicone.

Nice score Dave G and thanks for sharing - it's like looking at a little bit of history.

Dave,

If you want a nice X-Wing, you could make a deal with someone where they can study your castings in exchange for a finished replica (resulting from the access to your piece). It's a win-win for X-Wing builders, your collection, and keeps your parts intact and unaltered. I've been party to that kind of deal before, and it works very well.

Dave,

If you want a nice X-Wing, you could make a deal with someone where they can study your castings in exchange for a finished replica (resulting from the access to your piece). It's a win-win for X-Wing builders, your collection, and keeps your parts intact and unaltered. I've been party to that kind of deal before, and it works very well.

I think that would be an excellent way to go

Hell yeah. I'll volunteer myself for it, but I'm in Baltimore MD... he might want to keep things local (and shouldn't have trouble in CA)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back