X-Wing Cast from Original Parts

Just to explain how the canopy is like it is. It's pretty simple actually. As far I could tell from the ref of Red 3, the canopy sits in a straight line bottom and up from the hull and again straight length vise. This makes the canopy. BUT if the angle of the hull is flipped either to left or right by 1 degree, it makes the canopy either wider or slimmer at the roof. Hope this makes sense.

The canopy Frank provided me was for surely too wide and didn't even fit the pyro fuselage we had. As for the fuselage, it's made symmetric yes mostly for my own eyes at the time I build it. It was also pretty crooked (hope thats the right word), so taken measures was not easy, cuz where to measure. One things for sure, I didn't expect Mike would buy it from me at that point.

On the picture you can see my scratch next to the pyro cast, same cast MR got, but that another story.

Many of us have a pyro fuselage... I went ahead and started modifying mine to suit my wants.

1000923p.jpg

Dave,

That casting has been floating around for sometime in one generation or another.

This version is from the pyro molds and all of the others I have seen have been remolded a few times.
Judging from the color or resin, that is a really old casting.
Also, I dont think I have ever seen it as complete, or in as good of shape.

Sadly, that particular resin, doesnt hold up well over time like the newer stuff, and some of the shrinkage that you can see, is probably more from the resin deterioration rather than from generational degradation.
That old smelly yellow resin is also prone to Bubbles, just as the real pyro castings were (same or similar type of resin no doubt).

When you sand it, where a mask, its nasty stuff.

Anyhow, several versions of that have been posted here, Im not surprised many of the newer members are so taken by it.

They probably dont remember the previous versions of it like us old farts.

The "Put together from exploding parts" story from the Dysktra shop probably has some roots in reality.

Here is what I know. Is it the source of your story? Maybe? No idea.
But take a listen.

It was actually, grant McCune's shop, they did the pyro shots. When Grant was moving his shop (1980ish), a box was found by John Eaves (Google him) was working at Grants shop at the time. John found a box of "Parts" stored high up on a shelf. John said he opened the box, and nearly soiled himself.

Understandably. I know I would have.

When JE asked about the parts, Grant said they had been been left over parts from the PYRO Xwings, to include the actual wing and engine master (Probably the butt plate is also THE master, as its the same resin as the wings.) an unused built gun, and a fuselage that had been damaged and not used, all from 1977.

(One more thing, I {and John even} thought the engine was a casting. When I demolded it, the turkey feather fell off.

My Heart stopped, the "heat sink" was a casting, flat that fell out.
The engine was actually real kits parts, packed with 30 year old clay)

Grant gave the parts to John with his blessing. John, who worked throughout the industry, and knew many of the actual ANH model builders, collected some of the parts that were missing that would complete the kit.

He got the parts, from left over production castings that the original model builders who had kept or recovered from the ones that were destroyed.

Eventually, John had a complete copy of an XWING, mostly from real production parts, some small details from real kits parts, like replacing the phantom turkey feathers that were damaged, canon "ring"s...etc.

Now, John had to repair the fuselage, as it was in pretty poor shape having been crushed on one side. The Canopy, originally part of the hull, he removed completely, and figured he would just find another.

The nose, he didnt like and opted for replacing it with a casting from one of of the other versions. He did keep the original nose though incase he wanted to change it back.

John had his castings for years. He had planned to mold em, and make a few kits for friends, but never got around to it. They sat in mold boxes, ready for RTV for years.

Eventually, they were loaned to a little Company called ICONS who sold was was essentially a PYRO RED 5.

When John got the parts back from ICONS, they were in poor shape. ICONS had not treated the parts well. Once again he restored them, got them ready for molding, and again as before they sat. He promised himself, they would not be loaned out again.

Years later, after being approached by another company called MASTER REPLICAS, John agreed to loan his parts out once more, but insisted they NOT be sent to CHINA.

So MR agreed to have HMS, who John new, mold the XWING PARTS and send a set of 1630 (Non shrinking resin) to Hong Kong.

The parts would not leave Los Angeles. Unfortunately, HMS was in the middle of moving the shop, and said it would be 8 months before they could touch the project.

Moe and I were already involved with the project, as we part mapped the Xwing and supplied a set of parts to MR. Many members here, unsung hero’s each, provided info or parts that Moe and I didn’t know, or knew but didn’t have. It was truly a team effort.

Anyways, Master Replicas asked me, if I could mold the part sooner than HMS. I told them two weeks, and two weeks later they had a several sets of castings. Some were used as paint masters, one set was sent to HK, were it was scanned, and altered to match the HERO RED 5 reference that MR had, and also adjustments were made to account for the generational and time Shrinkage.

In the transition between MR to EFX COLLECTIBLES, the XWING project was cancelled, reborn, and engineering prototype created, and then completely discarded.
The entire project was started over, referencing more of the hero XWINGS, and photos that had only recently surfaced.
The result was the EFX RED 5. Now some folks say its all wrong and the whole thing is WAY to big. Only the body was supposed to be adjusted, I think the language barrier, company changes, and usual challenge of producing something overseas, actual kits parts were made larger, when they should not have, the turkey feathers, Saturn engines….etc.

Well, truth be told, while the turkey feathers are the worst offenders, the Saturn Engines are just slightly bigger, same with phantom engine, the R2 Strip is exactly the same size as John’s casting. The cockpit looks a bit wide to me and probably is, but, I like the EFX XWING. If you had a HERO XWING from ILM in from of you, and you built an EXACT DUPLICATE, its still just an interpretation. TWO THINGS cant be the SAME thing.

The EFX XWING is unique and highly collectible in its own right as it should be regardless of the slight liberties taken with its design.

Back to your casting, That’s the story has I was told, but John Eaves himself. Im sure there are details John might add if he was telling you all this himself, and I hope he forgives me if I have added more or left out something, but Im going from memory.

Hope that provides you some insight. Enjoy your casting, its as special as any.

See pics here:

http://www.hobbymatrix.com/models/xwing/xwing.html

Frank Cerney

Last edited:
Thanx Frank, I had contacted Nathan the minute this surfaced & I was hoping that he would eventually contact you for your input on the subject.
And Thanx Again - for posting your experiences with these type of castings!
When you & Dave get a chance to compare notes, perhaps the missing parts of This story can be filled in.

"Turkey Feathers"?:confused
An expandable Exhaust assembly - located at the rear of most modern Jet Engines.
X-wing Studio scale miniatures feature Turkey Feathers from the Revell 1/32nd scale Phantom Jet fighter.
(2 sizes of TFs cames with these models - long & short - but long are most commonly used on X-wing filming miniatures)

Last edited:
Frank,

Thanks for filling in some of the history of these castings. I traded John Eaves for this this set at least 15 years ago, maybe 20. I am looking forward to finally putting together this unique piece of history.

Thanks Dave for the ortho pics, those are great ! Good luck with your buildup.

Thanks Franck for the clarification, I think you've already posted that somewhere but that's always good to hear again.

Yes Rob, a few castings of this X-Wing were on Ebay.

Frank,

Thanks for filling in some of the history of these castings. I traded John Eaves for this this set at least 15 years ago, maybe 20. I am looking forward to finally putting together this unique piece of history.

No worries!

I ran into a nice chap named Jason, who worked in Grant's mold shop. He recognized my casting ( I have one also, just the body ) and said, the molds were in the shop for years, and were "run till they fried".

Dave,
Im in Los Angeles area, let me know when you are back in town.
Ill round up some of the local yahoos, we will have a geekfest/poolparty/BSsession with beer and pizza.

Frank

Just to add my 2 cents worth and confirm Franks story, I too have one of these early pyro castings that I got from a buddy who knew both John and Grant. I got mine about 15 years ago as well and I never built it thinking that one day I might mold up the parts for myself. I still have all the parts for a complete ship, including a casting of the original pilot figure that ILM used.

Very nice!

I have castings of the Artoo used on the ILM birds, but haven't seen the pilot outside of the models. Any chance you would be able to take a photo or two for us to see?

Would that be a casting or a re-casting?? :angel

RE: Trade
I have an original tile from the Death Star trench shoot.
Is that worth anything?
P6090065.jpg

Last edited:
Very funny Modeleers!

Like you wont be buried someday clutching that to your chest.

;-)

Its a casting...but..its MY casting.
The arms are ones we made for the EWING PILOTS.

I supposed you could use the real HARRIER Pilot's arms..but..where is the fun in that?
The R2 is actually the NO SHRINK casting. Couldnt find a tan one.

pilotq.jpg

Nice stuff Franck !

Actually the arms of the X-Wings/TIE Fighter and X1 pilots were not the arms of the Harrier pilot but from the BF109 pilot.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back