X-Wing Cast from Original Parts

Dave,

If you want a nice X-Wing, you could make a deal with someone where they can study your castings in exchange for a finished replica (resulting from the access to your piece). It's a win-win for X-Wing builders, your collection, and keeps your parts intact and unaltered. I've been party to that kind of deal before, and it works very well.

That's not a bad idea. Of course, the best model maker I know is, um, me! :lol But I don't have the time to invest in such an endevour. If there's someone in the Los Angeles area interested in talking to me about it, PM me. Sorry, I'm not going to let these parts out of my possession. If I did, sure enough, castings would start surfacing.

Just an FYI, and not to hijack, but the V3 kit is already based off of a similar casting of this, in fact it may be a generation earlier than this...Moe's fuselage is within a mm here or there of this, most of which looks like it was done in the interest of cleaning up symmetry. The wings i built are approx 2mm longer than the ones i have, to account for shrinkage. I did however incorporate characteristics of both wings into my wings, mostly emulating the "thicker" wing. I did also leave off most of the random chips on the wing so people could individualize the bird they were building. The wing mounting blocks on mine, if mounted flush to the body, have the same angle as this one as well.

Again sorry to hijack
mike

DaveG, i don't want to show any disrespect to what you have here either, it is an amazing pedigree, i will be happy to remove my comments if you wish. I just wanted to share info on the V3 fusealge. Also, PM me if there is anything i can provide you with to help restore your casting.
thanks
mike

Last edited:
Of course, the best model maker I know is, um, me!

So it's also true that - Great egos think alike.
I was thinking the exact same thing. :lol

Not only is this Xwing a Great thing of beauty & importance,
...but it couldn't have happened to a Greater person than he -
You GO, Dave!!!

Just wanted to say thanks to Dave for sharing the pics. Thats a beautiful piece, and wonderful to see. I had a similar dilema with the Viper, and I decided to keep the piece with history that I owned unbuilt...to me, it's just so nice to see and know the history..thats one of my favorite things about this hobby.

If I were you I'd snag a V3 from MSLZ22, build that (perhaps referencing all the changes from your original) and then save the original as reference and proof to the authenticity of your version. Double benefits here, as you keep the rare original in-tact and untarnished...and you have a much more "fun" build without all the hassle of deciding what to clean up and fix...and what to leave as battle damage or cannon history. Just my 2 cents.

Regardless...THANK YOU!

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea. Of course, the best model maker I know is, um, me! :lol But I don't have the time to invest in such an endevour. If there's someone in the Los Angeles area interested in talking to me about it, PM me. Sorry, I'm not going to let these parts out of my possession. If I did, sure enough, castings would start surfacing.

Very very smart.. Best way to go :thumbsup

I would think some of the top notch guys we have here , like Moff, Tox and others can point you in a good direction . I also would think you wouldn't have to worry with recasts with some of the veteran and dedicated artists from here.

I think if Dave wants to make a replica for himself, the first thing that needs to happen is for someone to get a V3 into Dave's hands, so he can decide if the kit measures up and is the direction he wants to to go in for his replica. From what Mike has posted, it sounds like a slam dunk, and then Dave can have his cake and eat it too!

How cool would it be to have a shadowbox with those raw parts on display, next to a V3 build?!

That's what I would do!

Thanks for those pics! Now that's what I call ortho. Here's why I was so interested in the top view of the fuselage proportions:

One of the main differences between the V3 and the X's in my ref is that the V3 cockpit canopy is much less convergent, having a considerably wider front edge - by about 2.5 mm (extrapolated from the ratio between the Saturn V can and canopy on the Red 3 hero model), and possibly a slightly fatter (or shorter) fuselage, expanding around the cockpit area by about 2 or 3 mm or so.

When Mike first posted a while back about the pyro source for the V3 casting, I was puzzled by this discrepancy, as the pyro canopies I was looking at appeared as convergent and as narrow as heroes. However, these pyro photos all turned out to be 'part-pyro' i.e hero (side seam) fuselages with pyro wings (Ging's photos). At the time, Mike suggested that the V3 canopy perhaps gained mm here due to attempts to perfect symmetry.

But perhaps full pyros (top/ bottom seam) do have stubbier, less convergent canopies after all. Below is the one full pyro topshot I do have, alongside the Red 3 hero, your photo, and my V3 ( with faked-up canopy convergence)... To me, the best match for the ILM full pyro is easily your kit; the hero appears narrower or longer than all 3; while the V3, in addition to its canopy anomalies, appears overly 'triangular' in the plane which extends from canopy front edge to nose rear, all 3 others appearing more 'rectangular' in this plane.

(hope you enjoyed this post; it's taken me nearly all afternoon just to get it this coherent!)

what's funny is these guys might have just banged these together back in the day and now everyone is over analyzing everything about their models. I bet it makes them laugh

Thanx CD!!! I was hoping that you would get in on this.
I've been telling Dave that I think his pyro is somewhat unique & your efforts are showing some signs of this.
I hope & pray that studies & comparisons of Dave's partz continue...

Again, sorry to use Dave's thread to discuss this so if it should be split off I can start a different thread at some point.

One of the issues with the canopy is that the pyro canopy, and i think you can see it in Dave's pic above, is that the frames converge towards the front of the ship at different angles. Measuring the one I have here, and using the back of the top window as the starting point, the top frame on the port side is an approx 3- 3 1/2 degree angle and the STB side is around a 6- 6 1/2 degree angle. The V3 is somewhere between resulting in about 1mm on each side being added to the point where the frame meets the body.

Again, Colin is absolutely correct that it is slightly wider, and while I am only guessing why Moe built it this way, it is the way that I would have done it as well, or at least something similar. We ran into a similar situation when Sean C was building the BSG shuttle body for me, long story short to keep the correct angles on the body the back deck needed to be lengthened by 3mm, and that # was generated by a CAD program.

Thanks to Dave for the great pics, I always appreciate the opportunity to discuss these models.
mike

Thanks for those pics! Now that's what I call ortho. Here's why I was so interested in the top view of the fuselage proportions:

One of the main differences between the V3 and the X's in my ref is that the V3 cockpit canopy is much less convergent, having a considerably wider front edge - by about 2.5 mm (extrapolated from the ratio between the Saturn V can and canopy on the Red 3 hero model), and possibly a slightly fatter (or shorter) fuselage, expanding around the cockpit area by about 2 or 3 mm or so.

When Mike first posted a while back about the pyro source for the V3 casting, I was puzzled by this discrepancy, as the pyro canopies I was looking at appeared as convergent and as narrow as heroes. However, these pyro photos all turned out to be 'part-pyro' i.e hero (side seam) fuselages with pyro wings (Ging's photos). At the time, Mike suggested that the V3 canopy perhaps gained mm here due to attempts to perfect symmetry.

But perhaps full pyros (top/ bottom seam) do have stubbier, less convergent canopies after all. Below is the one full pyro topshot I do have, alongside the Red 3 hero, your photo, and my V3 ( with faked-up canopy convergence)... To me, the best match for the ILM full pyro is easily your kit; the hero appears narrower or longer than all 3; while the V3, in addition to its canopy anomalies, appears overly 'triangular' in the plane which extends from canopy front edge to nose rear, all 3 others appearing more 'rectangular' in this plane.

(hope you enjoyed this post; it's taken me nearly all afternoon just to get it this coherent!)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back