X-Wing Cast from Original Parts

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is a kit of X-Wing parts that I've had in storage for at least 15 years. The story behind them (at least the story I was told) was that so many X-Wing models were blown up while shooting Star Wars that years later enough parts were found embedded in the insulation on the stage (then part of John Dykstra's Apogee) to put together a complete model. Molds were pulled and additional castings made, of which this is a set. It may not be a true story, but it's kind of cool. Anyway, I traded a set of Flatbed parts from the Abyss for these. I figured it's probably about time I put it together! The castings are only so-so. A lot of bubbles and crap to clean off or rebuild. But considering how much weathering and battle damage these ships need, it should build up as a pretty nice model.

Many of you know far more about the X-Wing than I ever could hope to so I'm hoping I can get some insight into some things I may need to rebuild from scratch, or scrounge from plastic kits. The first question I have would be the best source of reference photos of the original model. Thanks.

CRW_3004.jpg

CRW_3005.jpg

CRW_3006.jpg

CRW_3007.jpg

CRW_3008.jpg

CRW_3009.jpg

CRW_3010.jpg

CRW_3011.jpg

CRW_3012.jpg

That R2 is different, it has a smooth dome. They must've painted the details on instead of molding them in place.

Dave,
if it's a casting from production, might be historically significant enough to make molds before locking this one up.

Thanks for sharing pics!

Mike

I'm with Darth myeek, i'm not sure i would build with those parts. You should mold them and build up one from the casts.

Any chance we could get a few shots of the other (left) side of the fuselage and the bottom?
I want to see all those patches.

TIA

Dave,
if it's a casting from production, might be historically significant enough to make molds before locking this one up.

Thanks for sharing pics!

Mike

Well, the first step would be cleaning up the castings anyway, at least trimming off the gunk and filling bubbles. I guess it would be kind of cool to model the whole fleet!

I will take some better pictures of the fuselage and wings and post when I can.

Last edited:
Very interesting! The wings are definatly pyro wings, which you can see by certain styrene chips. I reckon all of the model is a pyro, im no expert.
Now wouldnt it be cool to have a built pyro that wasnt blown to bits?
Hmm, a red six comes to mind.

Well, the first step would be cleaning up the castings anyway, at least trimming off the gunk and filling bubbles. I guess it would be kind of cool to model the whole fleet!

I will take some better pictures of the fuselage and wings and post when I can.

I've read in previous threads that you are in the industry, and I don't mean to overstep any bounds, I just wanted to run a story by you. It's a parable in vague form, so bear with me. I spoke with a guy who had a casting from a screen used something who regretted cleaning up a casting prior to molding. The warts removed would have easily linked future castings to the originals.

Ok, I swear I am done :lol

There are so many excellent threads here on the rpf. Julien's thread here is amazing.

I'll let the x-wing pros chime in here. I am sure they'll be interested.

Very interesting! The wings are definatly pyro wings, which you can see by certain styrene chips. I reckon all of the model is a pyro, im no expert.

just because I'm curious, but can you explain that a little bit more?
How can you recognize it as a pyro model?

just because I'm curious, but can you explain that a little bit more?
How can you recognize it as a pyro model?

Well, the top of the wing has those three little bits on it that are side by side, ive seen those on several pics of pyros sporting the same, none of the hero versions had that and there arent any undercuts on the insides of the wings, the hero versions were hollow in that area where the acylic and styrene were mated.
im sure the real experts will chime in soon and correct me if im wrong or add to the details.
what im curious is the fuselage doesnt have a seam down the middle, i dont see one.

No doubt, wings, engines and fuselage are 100% from an original pyro model. That's a kind of recast here, the guy assembled the 2 fuselage halves and copped the canopy before molding it. But all details and shape match the original pyro castings.
I would kill to get a casting of this baby !

Well, the top of the wing has those three little bits on it that are side by side, ive seen those on several pics of pyros sporting the same, none of the hero versions had that and there arent any undercuts on the insides of the wings, the hero versions were hollow in that area where the acylic and styrene were mated.
im sure the real experts will chime in soon and correct me if im wrong or add to the details.
what im curious is the fuselage doesnt have a seam down the middle, i dont see one.

Thank you for the explanation.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back