BLACK HOLE screening in L.A. - NEW photos on page two!

GKvfx

Sr Member
Hey guys,

The American Cinematheque here in Los Angeles is doing a screening of Disney's "The Black Hole" next weekend, June 13th, at the Aero.

We managed to track down a 70mm print and we've got a good lineup of guests and goodies as well.

attachment.php

Harrison Ellenshaw is going to talk about his work on the film, as well as his father's production design.

The curator of the Griffith Observatory is going to be there to tell us what Black Holes are really like.

George McGinnis, who designed the robots (and was heavily involved with Disney's EPCOT) is also going to come.

attachment.php

We'll also be doing our usual lobby display of artwork and photos (some good stuff that I haven't seen!). And if it gets done in time......there may be a killer Sentry robot there as well.

attachment.php

The Aero is over in Santa Monica. Here's the link - AeroOneNightEvents_JUNE_2010

Gene

Last edited:
Re: BLACK HOLE screening in L.A. - 70mm! Guests! Props!

I went to one of your Indy trilogy screenings and it was awesome. I've never seen the black hole, but it looks cool from the screen shots. I might just try to make it out there.

I would love to go but am on the wrong coast. Why don't we get cool things like this here in the east coast?

I just watched "Disney's Star Wars" a couple of months ago with my son for the first time since I was in 8th grade. It's starting to really show it's age for sure but it was a lot of fun. If I had the chance to see it in 70mm I'd jump on it.

Got some paint on the Sentry Robot, and I'm starting to mask the eyes:

attachment.php

I was able to compare it to an actual casting that was just lacking paint:
attachment.php

The mesh in the mouth is just an ordinary metal mesh. Seems to be a thicker gauge than window screen. I had already installed a different mesh, and due to the deadline, I'm not going to swap it out.

I've also been going through some of the pre-production art for the lobby display. Found a lot of stuff that hadn't been published before:
attachment.php

Hope some RPF-er's can make it. Should be a fun screening........ I'll post a build up report on the Sentry Robot separately.

Gene

I'll try to make it, but money and time is always against me. I love your sentry, looks great! I always wanted to do Maximilian robot, but that's just a dream project for some other time.

Damn! this is the same time as the Alien, Blade Runner double feature with Ridley Scott.:cry Thanks for the info Gene

Wow. How cool. Love the Black Hole. I jumped at the chance when
I saw the DVD for £3 recently!

Is Max coming?

Damn! this is the same time as the Alien, Blade Runner double feature with Ridley Scott.:cry Thanks for the info Gene

Hell, if I had known sooner, I would have gone to that myself.....

Gene

Got some paint on the Sentry Robot, and I'm starting to mask the eyes:

attachment.php

I was able to compare it to an actual casting that was just lacking paint:
attachment.php

The mesh in the mouth is just an ordinary metal mesh. Seems to be a thicker gauge than window screen. I had already installed a different mesh, and due to the deadline, I'm not going to swap it out.

I've also been going through some of the pre-production art for the lobby display. Found a lot of stuff that hadn't been published before:
attachment.php

Hope some RPF-er's can make it. Should be a fun screening........ I'll post a build up report on the Sentry Robot separately.

Gene

Wow, I must say I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing this great pre-production art! Your Sentry helmet is coming along very nice, too. Are you plan to build a complete replica costume or just the helmet?

I'm always looking for reference pics of the complete costume which aren't easy to obtain as you know.

I've also got a few questions as well: Do you know what kind of boots were used by the Sentries? And how are the arm- and leg armor were held together?

So if you're so kind to share some pics, please send me a PM or post them here, it's well appreciated!

I hear tell that they will also discuss the New BH film project.
Whoever attends this Screening, please... TELL ALL!

I hear tell that they will also discuss the New BH film project.
Whoever attends this Screening, please... TELL ALL!

RUMOR CONTROL - Well, I'm the guy organizing the screening and no one told me about that. There are no plans to discuss the remake. If it comes up, that's cool. (And where did you hear that modeleers???)

Wow, I must say I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing this great pre-production art! Your Sentry helmet is coming along very nice, too. Are you plan to build a complete replica costume or just the helmet?

I picked this up from Timeslip a couple of years ago. It's a casting off of a plaster bust that was used as a master for the movie -

sentry-robot-black-hole-bh-sentry-wip-jpg-14261d1245714495

- as you can see, it's just the upper torso/head. The head details match a head that is in the Disney Archives. You'll note in the earlier photo of the gray casting that the ears are opened up, thus eliminating the detail that is in the master. I'm not planning on doing anything more than what you see here. The Timeslip casting is an impressive one-piece rotocast, but it's impossible to convert it into a costume.

I'm always looking for reference pics of the complete costume which aren't easy to obtain as you know.

I've also got a few questions as well: Do you know what kind of boots were used by the Sentries? And how are the arm- and leg armor were held together?

So if you're so kind to share some pics, please send me a PM or post them here, it's well appreciated!

Here's the best photo I have -
sentry-robot-black-hole-blackholesentry-rpf-1-jpg-10965d1233118122

- from this I was able to get a rough idea of the mesh. Unfortunately, the gauge of mesh in mine is different, but se la vie. I need this thing done this weekend. There are silver painted panels on the back and underneath, as well as the ends of the eye tubes. The eye tubes themselves are mylar. The Paint is rather odd. It looks like a burgundy, but they achieved that look by spraying a red base color down and then overspraying with black. The lighter areas came off as burgundy, the darker areas came off as black. It's tough to replicate, so I'm aiming for the middle. A burgundy base coat that I will airbrush black lines over.

I don't have any other info regarding the costume. Disney Archives claims they don't have a complete Sentry costume, but who knows what's buried in some warehouse. (They do have Vincent, Max, a Humanoid, and I would presume they have Bob.) I can tell you that they wore a red undersuit - but you only see that around the elbows, armpits, and waist.

So, there's the update. Sorry for the rumor control. I just didn't want to get anyone's hopes up. Should be a fun night regardless.

Gene

Yeah, I thought that at first. Also tried drywall sanding mesh. Turns out it is just a plain old under/over woven metal mesh. Like you would get for a door screen, but with a thicker gauge of wire. I've got a better picture that I'll post when this is done.

Gene

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back