Tron Costume **Working on Shoulder Pad**

MrSinistar

Hey all, I'm working on making my own Tron costume. I got a Cooper SK 2000 for the helmet and I'm currently trying to figure out what the "good guy shoulder pads" are. Here's a bunch of pictures and info I found out about the pads (both variations):

Tron_shoulder_pad_prop.jpg

I contacted one of the guys at Moviepropking.com and he couldn't help me out with IDing the armor, but he says his was yellow before the prop people at Disney painted it white. As you can see in the picture, this pad was originally orange.

More pictures:

Crom_cesta.jpg

Ram_crom.jpg

As you can tell, there's no back pad, unlike the enemy shoulder pads. Note the strap on the back of Ram (left figure).

Lieutenant_back.jpg

TRON_SUPPLEMENTAL-0.jpg

ttttback.jpg

As you can tell, the enemy pads are completely different from the good guy ones. Note the neck, general body shape and shoulder pads.

It's possible that the two-piece shoulder pads can be removed from the chest pad, as see on Tron here:

Tron_with_disk.jpg

3757537140_d4851a70e6.jpg

3937822427_14d94518d0.jpg

If anyone can help me out with who made the pads, I would really appreciate it.

I'll post some pictures of my WIP helmet soon.

Last edited:
Re: Tron Costume

always wanted to replicate the pads etc. they really look like baseball pads of the period but unsure

Yeah, baseball gear makes more sense. All the hockey stuff I found on ebay was covered in fabric, whereas the shoulder pads on Tron are uncovered plastic/metal.

I just talked with a friend who knows the director of the movie. He says they're motorcross pads. He told me to contact someone who owns a set; I believe he's the same guy that own the chest armor in the first image.

I'm really glad I narrowed down the search :D

You're welcome. :angel

Yea, thanks a lot dude. I really appreciate it. :)

I'll post pics of my helmet tomorrow. I'm going for a movie look and not a replica prop look, so instead of white, the color is gray and instead of black tape, I'm going to be using blue reflective tape for the circuitry so that it'll glow when light hits it, similar to this Sark costume:
Tron_Sark_Costume.jpg

I've been looking for these for a while with no luck. Would love to finally find out what the correct good guy "Tron" pads are.

Nick

Thanks for the comments, guys! I really appreciate it :D

Just for future reference:

The bad guy chest pads are late 1970 - early 80s JT Racing Chest Protectors:

Tron_jt_chest.jpg

TRON_SUPPLEMENTAL-0.jpg

ttttback.jpg

The good guy chest protectors are 70s-80s Jofa Motocross Chest Protectors. There maybe some variations with these guys so I'm going to have to pay extra attention with them. Each one I've found on eBay have had different symbols and different colors. One set was missing the upper shoulder "cups" too.

Comparison shot:
Tron_jofa_motocross_chest.png

3757537140_d4851a70e6.jpg

3937822427_14d94518d0.jpg

Thanks goes out to Funky Jedi for IDing the Jofa pad. :D

EDIT: Here's the "one pad" variation of the Jofa pad. Crom and Ram wear theses.

Tron_jofa_pad_vari.png

Tron_shoulder_pad_prop.jpg

Last edited:

I gotta say that I respectfully disagree on all three counts.

The Bad Guy armor is of a type that many companies did there own version but I have yet to find the exact pattern and shoulders.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Ram / Good Guy pads-

First off I think that the Tron/Flynn Shoulders pads are cut from the same model Chest Protector as the Ram Pads.

The Jofa pads are very close but no cigar.

Here you can see how the shoulder bell is very different in texture and shape. The arm section has small differences too.

attachment.php

Again that arm strap is very encouraging! I've not seen one that has come that close yet!

It's nice to see other people interested in this obscure Tron stuff!

Nick

I gotta say that I respectfully disagree on all three counts.

The Bad Guy armor is of a type that many companies did there own version but I have yet to find the exact pattern and shoulders.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Ram / Good Guy pads-

First off I think that the Tron/Flynn Shoulders pads are cut from the same model Chest Protector as the Ram Pads.

The Jofa pads are very close but no cigar.

Here you can see how the shoulder bell is very different in texture and shape. The arm section has small differences too.

attachment.php

Again that arm strap is very encouraging! I've not seen one that has come that close yet!

It's nice to see other people interested in this obscure Tron stuff!

Nick

Thanks for the profile view of the shoulder pad!! :D I was looking for that.

It's my job to be interested in obscure Tron stuff...I'm one of the admins of Tron-Sector, the biggest Tron fan site. LOL

Yeah, that stupid shoulder bell doesn't match with the pad. When I first saw the Jofa chest pad, I was disappointed that the bell didn't match but was happy that the lower shoulder half did. Also the chest pad itself doesn't match Ram's chest pad at all. The blue Jofa protector I posted previously does however.

It's more than likely that the costume people mixed and matched costume pieces. Yay, more work...:wacko

And speaking of obscure Tron stuff...here's Sam Schatz (frisbee champion), from the lost pre-production Tron test. These are the clearest images I've ever found:

300px-Sam_schatz.png

Sam_schatz2.png

Cool! I love Tron-Sector!

I've been wanting to make a super accurate Tron suit for a while but gor hung up on the found objects. I search ebay every so often trying to find the correct parts with no luck.

What size helmet did you get?

From what I've read the cooper helmet come in smal, medium, and large. If I rememeber correctly, the small and the medium use the same hard shell with different padding thickness inside. The large is a larger shell.

I've wondered if they used the original padding or replaced it with thinner material since they wouldn't need it to be protective and fit on the actors head in a more streamlined style.

AKA did they use the small shell or the large?

Nick

Cool! I love Tron-Sector!

I've been wanting to make a super accurate Tron suit for a while but gor hung up on the found objects. I search ebay every so often trying to find the correct parts with no luck.

What size helmet did you get?

From what I've read the cooper helmet come in smal, medium, and large. If I rememeber correctly, the small and the medium use the same hard shell with different padding thickness inside. The large is a larger shell.

I've wondered if they used the original padding or replaced it with thinner material since they wouldn't need it to be protective and fit on the actors head in a more streamlined style.

AKA did they use the small shell or the large?

Nick

My helmet is the small size. Yeah, the large size has 5 holes on each side in the rear shell, whereas all the Tron helmets that I've seen are 4 holes per side (small/medium). I didn't know this when I bought my helmet, so I'm very lucky I got the small one and not the large one!

As for the padding, my helmet padding was unbelievably thick and it was very painful to wear on my head LOL. It's much more thicker than what can be seen in the film. Medium size must have thinner padding and I think that's what everyone's wearing in the movie. However, I have another theory. I also think that pads that can be seen on the sides of the face are actually part of the rear pad that covers the hair and the back of the neck.

The padding is removable by sections and I can tell you they definitely removed the foam in the front of the helmet.

Ram:
Ram_closeup.png

Tron:
Overused_tron_shot.PNG

3938597552_56d77c8af4_b.jpg

Flynn_helmet.png

With front padding:
5530d1171397351-cooper-sk2000-facts-sk2000-3-color.jpg

I'm going to ask one of the admins from Tron-Sector about the padding. He has a Flynn helmet (Jeff Bridges has the other one).

TronDude.jpg

yeah the shoulder pad is wrong but the other pad is right it looks like. I would think they would have mixed and matched. this is a great project for sure.

Well, if you look up "jofa chest" on ebay, you can see that blue pad is up for sale now (that's where I got the pictures). I have a very limited budget (jobless student here) so I don't wanna spend $20 for a chest pad. Maybe someone here can buy and give us dimensions and patterns so we can make our own.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back