Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread.

That's amazing! I have personally decided to go with Blue Doctor rather than Red Doctor, so I'm glad the test came out so well.

Like you said, the red looks brown and thick, but the blue is spot on!

When do I get to place my order? :D

Yeah the red could definitely go more of a deeper red/burgundy than the brownish red that it is right now. Doesn't look too far off though to be honest so I wouldn't tweak it too much. Also, I agree on the thickness of the squiggles on the red. Besides that, they both look awesome. The blue is perfect.

I agree that the blue stripes could go darker, though it's so close I'm not sure you need to go to the trouble. The rest of the blue looks spot on in my opinion. Very impressed!

Looks great.

To have a shirt ready in time for comic con I decided I'd draw the stripes and waves onto an existing shirt with a fabric pen, but I don't really know the correct spacing of the stripes. Did you find that out in order to make these swatches the correct scale? If so, can you tell me the spacing? Even with 2 weeks left until I wear the costume, it's going to be a mad rush getting the shirt finished, I expect it to take well over 20 hours to draw the whole pattern.

Looks great.

To have a shirt ready in time for comic con I decided I'd draw the stripes and waves onto an existing shirt with a fabric pen, but I don't really know the correct spacing of the stripes. Did you find that out in order to make these swatches the correct scale? If so, can you tell me the spacing? Even with 2 weeks left until I wear the costume, it's going to be a mad rush getting the shirt finished, I expect it to take well over 20 hours to draw the whole pattern.

Dang, wish I could go to comic con. By the time I had checked, it was already sold out. Maybe next year ... although I've been saying that for the last 3 years lol. Went to Anaheim comic con but I'd love to go to the big one in SD some time.

I was wondering about the size between the striping too. That info would be useful.

What color you going for? You going to sew some fabric stripes onto the sleeves too? Definitely interested in seeing what it looks like with the fabric marker technique.

I'm doing the blue one, although I have thought about the red as well. The base shirt cost me $32 and would work perfectly for either color, if I could find a burgundy fabric marker. I'm a little concerned my blue one isn't dark enough, but it's the best I could find. Right now my plan is to just draw the cuff stripes on, but if that doesn't look good I'll cover them up with sewn on fabric.

To have one done in time for comic con, I wen the fabric pen route. Blue turned out pretty good, but for the burguny I need to find a finer tipped pen. Those waves are now burned into my eyes!

No kidding, huh? I went ahead and assumed the stripe spacing based on my faint memory of the real shirt I saw in person and the width of my base shirt's box pleat, and I think it worked out pretty well. So far I've finished both cuffs, the collar, and collar stand (just in the front where it might show) and the box pleat. When my eyes and hands stop hurting and I feel up to it again I'll do the front of the shirt, then depending on how I feel I might do the back, and then MAYBE the sleeves. Those would be really difficult I think. As I expected, once the pen dried all the way it ended up a lighter royal blue than I would have liked, but there's not much I can do about that.

Took a work in progress pic in my first hand-drawn burgundy shirt ... the waves are way too big. I definitely need to find a finer-tipped burgundy marker.

Any suggestions?

38064_408488055058_516225058_5034589_4451454_n.jpg

To get my waves thinner I pressed more lightly. Also, you can use an xacto to trim the chisel shaped marker tip to a fine point.

Where did you get your jacket? It looks fantastic. I dyed a jacket as a test and it ended up looking very much like that, except completely destroyed on account of it being all wool. The jacket I'll be wearing almost perfect except that it's grey instead of brown. I'm trying to find somebody in the LB/LA area with an airbrush that would be kind enough to let me load it up with dye and spray away for a few minutes.

3/8, huh? That's EXACTLY the width of mine! It seems the pattern of this shirt is closer to the PS shirt than I thought.

I figured the spacing based on the center front placket and the width of the buttons (which shirt buttons are basically all the same size). The center front placket looks to be 1 1/8- 1 1/4" wide, making 3/8" a safe bet.

As far as PS re-releasing the shirt. You could wait on that, which may take forever, and then pay the $200, do all the work to convert it and still come up with a more expensive alternative to using the printed fabric and the only person who would really know that it was a real PS shirt is you... Unless you plan on walking around announcing that "hey, yeah. This is a REAL PS shirt," you might as well go whatever route is easiest, cheapest and gets you your end result when you need it. Just my 2 cents.

Well the PS shirt will most likely be more in the range of $150 shipped overseas. The prices won't be as inflated as they are right now. After buying 3 or 4 yards of the shirting fabric (it's only 44 inches wide, I haven't made a shirt myself, but I was advised to get at least 4 to be safe by the people at JoAnn's) and a shirt pattern, you're going to be out up to $100 for the materials, then still have to actually make the shirt. I also have it on good authority that the PS shirts are made with a thinner, smoother fabric than the standard spoonflower cotton, which is much nicer than the old cotton and still a good shirting, but probably not as great for a shirt. If you have the skills to make a shirt and want to save some money it's a perfectly valid option, but for those who aren't as good with a sewing machine it might not be worth it.

I'd still be interested in finding out the exact spacing of an original shirt. I've seen plackets on shirts everywhere from an inch to an inch and a half, so scaling based on that may not be 100% accurate.

I think he might have been talking about the other version that most people bought, I still believe though that the screen used shirt (at least at the end of Eleventh Hour) had the back darts that brought in the waist.

vlcsnap-61502.jpg

As you can pretty clearly see thanks to the stripes, some strange things are happening back there.

Well, I was very luckily able to locate a super-fine-tipped burgundy marker. This'll do just fine for SDCC:

IMG_6880.jpg

I'll keep saving my pennies for the PS reissue.

Where did you get the marker/what kind is it? I plan on buying a reissued blue shirt to replace the one I'm making now, but I won't spend that kind of money on the red. I will however spend a couple weeks drawing the red one no problem.

Where did you get the marker/what kind is it? I plan on buying a reissued blue shirt to replace the one I'm making now, but I won't spend that kind of money on the red. I will however spend a couple weeks drawing the red one no problem.

It was a Pigma Micron 05 Burgundy. Bought it at a local art supply store.

I'd still be interested in finding out the exact spacing of an original shirt. I've seen plackets on shirts everywhere from an inch to an inch and a half, so scaling based on that may not be 100% accurate.

Ah. But shirt buttons tend to all be the same size :)

I just checked out all the shirts in my closet and most of the buttons were all the same, but there were some exceptions that were smaller than the norm.

Nicky: So it wasn't actually a fabric pen? Have you had any issues with the color running? I was afraid using a normal pen or marker would cause the ink to smudge, for example if one were to sweat while wearing it, or run it in the wash.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back