Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread.

That's not too bad, looks like a pretty good color. The checks are pretty big though, that would be the one thing that would stop me from getting it. The ones on the M&L polyester are identical to the dogstooth trousers, which is somewhere under 3/32" tall I think.

Not to mention, you could make a pair of jeans from this, but they would be dry clean only. Not that its nothing we aren't used to with other costume pieces, but part of the look of these trousers comes from the laundering. The dogstooth are cotton I assume? The poly would be a better idea, but will pill over time. I would look at Dharma trading to see what they have available in polyester dyes if you aren't doing that already.

I think I may have a good color already. I'm waiting on a response from a guy who owns a pair of the dogtooth trousers to see if I might be able to send him a swatch for comparison.

Btw DM, do you know where I might be able to find a good pattern for a pair of jeans? Preferably one that has waist sizes and not just S, M, L, and XL?

I think I may have a good color already. I'm waiting on a response from a guy who owns a pair of the dogtooth trousers to see if I might be able to send him a swatch for comparison.

Btw DM, do you know where I might be able to find a good pattern for a pair of jeans? Preferably one that has waist sizes and not just S, M, L, and XL?

i'm also in CA and have the original trousers. if the other guy doesn't work out you can send it to me for comparison.

Awesome, thanks. I'll keep you in mind. (Are you going to be at Gallifrey this year?)

Went to the garment district in LA today (raining like crazy, wish I didn't have to leave the house again today) and found some fabric that looks identical to my polyester in wool for $10 a yard. So that's also an option.

EDIT: Just got word the Spoonflower swatch shipped, way ahead of schedule. It could even be waiting for me when I get home after Xmas.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, no. The only real jeans pattern I know of is from Kwik-Sew and they also come in S,M,L,XL. Its simply enough to change though. Find the one closest to your waist, and either add or subtract to the side seam as needed. For instance. Lets say you have a 30" waist and the finished waist measure on the Small is 31". You want to lose an inch. First think about your side seams on your jeans. You will only be subtracting from the sides and not the center front and back, so how many sides are there? Each side seam is composed of a front and a back. So there are 2 components per side, which makes 4 places to subtract that inch from. Does this make sense so far? So 1" divided by 4= 1/4". Just subtract 1/4" inch all the way down from the pattern on those sides.

In regard to the jeans pattern, it's nearly impossible for me to even find jeans that fit in stores, so I'll end up altering every single seam on that pattern.

Best of luck finding a hotel, I've always just driven the 30 miles up there every day. I'd like to stay at the hotel, but can't justify the cost.

The sample swatch came in today, I have to make some tweaks to the colors, line thicknesses, and interference. The blue cuffs are perfect, though, no changes need to be made to those. And as of this moment the red fabric is pretty much an exact copy of the reissue shirt fabric, totally by accident due to spoonflower color shift. Go figure. I'll finish up all the revisions tonight and have all 4 finalized fabrics available by tomorrow morning.

Been following this thread with interest and thanks for all of your hard work, Risu. I know how big of a headache things like this can be.

Also Darth Mule, if you do do a few shirts, color me interested.

I finally finished all of the patterns, now with correct colors and line thicknesses and interference taken directly from an original issue PS shirt. Unfortunately, Spoonflower is still making me slam my face into my desk over and over because of their dysfunctional web site. All of the ones up now are correct except the red cuffs, which are accurate, but in the wrong scale because I accidentally uploaded the file in 300 DPI, and when I went to replace it with the correct 150 DPI file the image stayed the same. At that point I was pretty angry because they completely blew me off the last time this happened, so I'm hoping my slightly more caustic email to their help desk will generate a quick response. But for all you guys who wanted a blue shirt, order away, it's good to go. Red shirt guys, hopefully not much longer.

And for those curious how they look IRL, here are some photos.

The swatch:
DSC01453.jpg

With some paper prints of the corrected patterns:
DSC01454.jpg

And the old blue paper print on the left with the new on the right (not a good measure of color or anything, just for comparison):
DSC01455.jpg

Hey, looks awesome! This is a godsend now that my hand drawn burgundy shirt has bled out of existence. Only concern is that the red looks very orange in your photos, is it just the lighting conditions you took the photos in?

A little bit. Also, the red on the fabric is before I adjusted the colors. Here's the same picture tweaked to give you a better idea of how the red actually looks. This is still pre-adjustment, this is just what the first try looks like without the yellow lighting.

Redadjusted.jpg

I am incredibly happy to say that the red cuffs have finally been fixed and the root of the problem has been explained to me so I can avoid any future complications. All fabrics are now ready to order. If you order some fabric, please post a pic or two, especially if you make a shirt or whatever else out of it.

Sure thing.

Cuffs should end with 1 whole blue stripe on hand end, 2/3 stripe on arm

end.

Scalloped cuff split (vent? not sure what it's called).

Red button holes on small wrist buttons.

Blue button holes on large wrist buttons (white on the red shirt).

2 buttons on cuffs, no adjustment buttons.

Red ribbon strip on outside of collar stand (1/4" wide, 2" long, should be folded over and sewn down with red zig zag stitch. They sell this stuff at Jo-Ann's. Get the 1/4" ribbon with the sort of bound looking edges and smooth center, it's the exact ribbon.

3 wave wide button stand.

White button holes (on both colors).

7 buttons exposed above trouser waist, possibly 8 total.

Coat hook loop at top of center back pleat.

Center back pleat should be sewn up the middle.

2 darts on either side of the back, approximately 18 inches long and

starting 4 inches below yoke.

No breast pocket.

Just dropped in to link Risu's fabric print for someone and realized I didn't see it here. Could be a few pages back so if I did miss it, call this a repost. I have few yards of it already that I hope to crank a shirt out in the next couple of days for Risu as a thank you for doing this. Great product.

risu's fabric designs

Posted a whole thread about this, but thought I'd share here as well. Had a little fun with the doctor a couple weekends ago at Chattacon in TN.

163645_491014346126_734461126_5984491_6802672_n.jpg

165174_491015836126_734461126_5984507_4119768_n.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back