Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread.

I've been thinking of making the S6 shirt pattern available at spoonflower as well. If I do, should I give it a faux herringbone weave, or just leave the background plain white?

plain white. i think the faux herringbone weave would come out to faux looking

picking up from another thread, are you saying now that the original Paul Smith pattern and re-issue pattern aren't the same? because i would agree with that.

They aren't identical. In my opinion, they were drawn by the same person or method, but they are not the same exact art. The wave shapes are identical, but the order of the waves is not. I've based my wave pattern on a reissue shirt, but everything after that point (the line thicknesses, colors, interference, etc) was based on the originals. Unless you've spent as much time staring at it as I have you won't be able to see a difference.

The patterns are ALMOST ready, spoonflower is just giving me trouble right now, some technical issue with a revision I uploaded to the cuff patterns. Hopefully it'll be straightened out in the next day or so.

They aren't identical. In my opinion, they were drawn by the same person or method, but they are not the same exact art. The wave shapes are identical, but the order of the waves is not. I've based my wave pattern on a reissue shirt, but everything after that point (the line thicknesses, colors, interference, etc) was based on the originals. Unless you've spent as much time staring at it as I have you won't be able to see a difference.

The patterns are ALMOST ready, spoonflower is just giving me trouble right now, some technical issue with a revision I uploaded to the cuff patterns. Hopefully it'll be straightened out in the next day or so.

You did an awesome job. The shirt pattern and cuff patterns you did look fantastic. They still haven't fixed it yet. For the close up preview it's right but the far away preview still isn't corrected. It shows up correct but then switches to the none correct preview real quick. Hopefully it's sorted soon. I really can't wait to order this fabric.

OK, the people at Spoonflower are looking into the problem, but I've been told it may just be a problem with my cache storing the old image, so it won't let me see the update. It would most likely be the same problem for you as well WM since you saw it before the last adjustment. So without further ado:

risu's fabric designs

Because of the possible problem, the preview images you see of the cuff patterns may or may not be accurate. Regardless of how it displays in the preview window though, the actual fabric should be the correct pattern. The shirting fabric is the quilting weight cotton. To make a shirt, you'll need 3 yards of the regular stuff and a fat quarter of the cuffs, and make sure the repeat is set to basic repeat. Feedback is always welcome, especially in regards to the display issue with the site. Please let me know if the correct pattern is displaying. (the correct pattern will have wider outside stripes, so from left to right: wide, skinny, skinny, skinny, wide, gap, wide, skinny, etc. The incorrect pattern does not have these wide stripes.)

Last edited:
Blue cuffs are fixed. Red will be a while. You can still try to order them, but I don't know if they'll be right. The problem is on Spoonflower's end, it's not a cache issue. I've asked them to look into it.

I had a feeling it was a problem on their end. I cleared all of my cache and cookies numerous times. Either way, glad it's working now. Hopefully they won't take too long to sort the burgundy cuff out.

Actually, I just got fed up and turned a different design into the blue cuffs. Unfortunately, I only had one other design I had ordered in my design library, and if you haven't ordered a design, you can't put it up in the shop. So for that one I just uploaded a revised design that looked like the cuffs over the old one, then renamed it. For the red I actually have to order a swatch before I can post it in the store. Instead of doing that, I've decided to replace that new red cuff design with a swatch of all 4 fabrics, order that, and when it comes in I'll revise that multiswatch into the red cuffs and post it for sale. It'll take a week or two.

Take your time! No rush! It looks great, from what I can tell.

I'm probably going to order some of the red stuff once I start getting paychecks .... I'm going to be buying a lot once I start getting pay checks. :lol

Well, I wanted to see the fabric anyways, so I ordered the swatch. It's too bad their turnaround time is so long, it won't get here until the new year probably. As soon as I get the "shipped" email for the swatch I can convert it into the new red cuffs and they'll be ready to order.

Fun side note, I'm dying my black and white houndstooth trouser material right now. Yay!

Well, I wanted to see the fabric anyways, so I ordered the swatch. It's too bad their turnaround time is so long, it won't get here until the new year probably. As soon as I get the "shipped" email for the swatch I can convert it into the new red cuffs and they'll be ready to order.

What happens if the colors need changing ever so slightly after they arrive? Would you still be able to change them after you correct the upload the first time? Either way I'm looking forward to this. Be sure to upload shots of the swatches.

I should be able to. I successfully changed the colors of the regular patterns already, I think something just went wrong or might have been messed up with their system when I changed the cuffs, because they got stuck. The regular patterns and the new cuffs shouldn't have that problem, and if they do I'll be more proactive in getting them to fix the problem themselves.

DSC01402-1.jpg

Not enough black dye. Looks like I'll have to finish off the bottle tomorrow. The stuff soaks in a heck of a lot better when the water is boiling hot. When I dyed the swatch on the stove it only took one cap in one gallon of water to make it the right shade. I think I'm going to need 10-12 more caps to get it right, if I have that much left.

Really looking forward to seeing some of this fabric up close. As far as the colors go, this isn't a first guess as its based off both the original scans and what I already had printed from spoonflower. Risu used information from both sources to arrive at this pattern, and I'm convinced that it will be the best repro we've seen yet. His attention to detail is crazy.

Also, for those interested in purchasing a shirt and not just the fabric, I may be taking on a few as commissions. I've already developed a good pattern for the shirt and with Risu's input, will be improving it to screen accuracy. I may ask that you order fabric and have it shipped to me and just charge labor, but the total cost should be competitive with the competition. As far as quality goes. I'm tops. I've been sewing for 28+ years.
Just throwing that out there.
Risu and I have been discussing this project back and forth for awhile now and both agree that we've been tackling this for the Who community and not for personal glory or profit (though we do need to make something for our time). The number one goal has always been to make this as financially feasible and accessible as possible for a variety of skill levels.

Risu: What's the houndstooth for? Are you using Rit dye? That stuff always takes twice as much as you think it should. Unless you're trying to give a slight tint, then it takes half. Weird that way.

The houndstooth is for the standard trousers. There isn't a single shot in the series where you can see it, but they're made of a small houndstooth checked fabric in sort of a black and very dark purplish grey color. I found this fabric at a place in Anaheim (I think) called M&L fabrics for $5 a yard. The only problem is that it's 100% polyester and a real pain to dye.

That's not too bad, looks like a pretty good color. The checks are pretty big though, that would be the one thing that would stop me from getting it. The ones on the M&L polyester are identical to the dogstooth trousers, which is somewhere under 3/32" tall I think.

Really looking forward to seeing some of this fabric up close. As far as the colors go, this isn't a first guess as its based off both the original scans and what I already had printed from spoonflower. Risu used information from both sources to arrive at this pattern, and I'm convinced that it will be the best repro we've seen yet. His attention to detail is crazy.

Also, for those interested in purchasing a shirt and not just the fabric, I may be taking on a few as commissions. I've already developed a good pattern for the shirt and with Risu's input, will be improving it to screen accuracy. I may ask that you order fabric and have it shipped to me and just charge labor, but the total cost should be competitive with the competition. As far as quality goes. I'm tops. I've been sewing for 28+ years.
Just throwing that out there.
Risu and I have been discussing this project back and forth for awhile now and both agree that we've been tackling this for the Who community and not for personal glory or profit (though we do need to make something for our time). The number one goal has always been to make this as financially feasible and accessible as possible for a variety of skill levels.

Risu: What's the houndstooth for? Are you using Rit dye? That stuff always takes twice as much as you think it should. Unless you're trying to give a slight tint, then it takes half. Weird that way.

I would definitely be interested in a shirt from you.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back