FINISHED! Don Robert's N.U Bulldog & FEU Tamaraw - original (pic heavy)

izabel

Sr Member
35404_10150188892285237_865525236_12782121_3487496_n.jpg

Hi Guys. It's been a while since i started a new topic. Been kinda busy lately with work and a project Don Robert & I are doing.

I suddenly thought of sharing here w.i.p pics of the project we're working on.

This is an original concept/character for the opening of the UAAP season here in the Philippines. For a brief background, UAAP (University Athletic Association of the Philippines) is a sports association of eight universities in the Philippines. Each year, teams from these universities play in 15 sports.

Each year a university hosts the event and each year they have a theme. I guess for 2010, they are going for the "superhero" theme hence the designs they came up with for the university "mascots" are more of the superhero type.

Mr. Noel Flores, found me in FB and saw Don Robert's IM suit there. He pm'ed me and inquired if he can commission Robert to do a costume for him. I met with him adn asked that of all the people who are into cosplay and doing amazing costumes why did he pick Robert. (Well, Robert asked me to ask him that not because he doesn't think his work is that good it's just that he is curious. He's a very humble guy and thinks of cosplay as just a hobby.Nothing too serious. Just a passion for making costumes). Apparently, Noel has been searching the cosplay community and have come across various cosplayers already but he kept returning to my album & Robert's IM suit. Noel is a designer and have designed costumes for TV shows here. He teaches Fine Arts in one university and he was commissioned to do the deisgns for this year's UAAP's theme. He told me that he liked how Robert did his IM - streamlined and fit. and he has two deisgns of the same concept.

Truthfully, it's a rush project. and at first Robert doesn't want to take it because he really doesn't do commissions. he only does his costumes and recently mine. He also doesn't think he does good costumes even if people are already telling him. :lol

Anyway, so we took the project ( I FORCED HIM TO, haha!). Noel gave us 2 suits to do. One is the N.U BULLDOG and the FEU TAMARAW. See concept arts below.

NU BULLDOG
bulldognu.jpg

FEU TAMARAW
tamarawfeu.jpg

Noel just provided the measurements, some photo of the athlete that would wear it and a head cast. The cast was suppose to be whole body, as Noel's team normally does it but due to time contraints they can only provide us the head cast. We thought it was great because we can actually fit the helmet on it without the actual person being with us.

Sketches:

Bulldog Helm
bulldoghead.jpg

Bulldog Arms
bulldog1rms.jpg

Bulldog Legs
bulldoglegs.jpg

Tamaraw Helm
tamarawhead.jpg

The art did not provide back sketches so it will be up to Robert to interpret.

For additional information, the wearer would be 5'9" and 6'0" tall. So these are the things he'll be considering while making the costume.

We are targeting to finish the whole suits by tomorrow and have it fitted by Saturday then do minor adjustments as necessary.We need 3 days for paint & 1 day for drying then its all done for delivery. We target Tuesday to have this delivered to client.

Will upload finished parts then post them later. :D

Last edited:
Re: Don Robert's N.U Bulldog & FEU Tamaraw - original (w.i.p - pic heavy)

photos:

Helmets
dsc0262v.jpg

Bulldog Helm
dsc0253g.jpg

dsc0259b.jpg

dsc0260a.jpg

dsc0261y.jpg

Tamaraw Helm:
dsc0248zx.jpg

dsc0250nn.jpg

dsc0252hi.jpg

What do you guys think? :D

Bulldog Shoes

dsc0263g.jpg

Bulldog Legs
dsc0264bw.jpg

dsc0265c.jpg

dsc0266ve.jpg

Bulldog Cod Piece
dsc0267q.jpg

dsc0268ok.jpg

dsc0269k.jpg

Bulldog Arms
dsc0270q.jpg

dsc0271qt.jpg

Bulldog Abs
dsc0275i.jpg

I must say that i hate you...... I WANNA MAKE SOMETHING THAT GOOD. :p

Holy crap, that's awesome haha. My next project is going to involve rubber/foamies, everytime you post something I get inspired haha.

Holy crap, that's awesome haha. My next project is going to involve rubber/foamies, everytime you post something I get inspired haha.

:) i'm glad.

wait for our next project after this. :angel it will be...dun, dun,dun...
dsc0231ah.jpg

great work. Im glad Im home from work and can see this wip in full clarity instead of on my phone :)

:confused

:lol It's not real hate....just frustratade that you are able to make something that cool and nice.

you are very cute and pretty:love
Keep up the good work:thumbsup

I just saw this, unbelievable how quickly this guy can create shapes in 3D to fit someone and with so many complex components to them...if that isn't artistry I'd like to know what is. Even in raw form it looks pretty cool....looking forward to seeing the final result.

:lol It's not real hate....just frustratade that you are able to make something that cool and nice.

you are very cute and pretty:love
Keep up the good work:thumbsup

:lol i knwo what you meant. i hate TMP too. thanks for the compliment. :$

I just saw this, unbelievable how quickly this guy can create shapes in 3D to fit someone and with so many complex components to them...if that isn't artistry I'd like to know what is. Even in raw form it looks pretty cool....looking forward to seeing the final result.

thank you. we'll keep you posted. he's done with the suit already. just needs more detailing. however, we can't paint it yet because we still needs to fit it which is a little problematic for us. fitting sched is june 11 and then TVC shoot is june 14! wah! :cry we may have to paint the parts that will not need adjustment too much. i hope it works well. amf.

I totally agree - I though I was good a this before seeing the speed at which Don is making his suit (being those or the IM suit or anything really). I guess I still have a lot to learn - which is really not a bad thing :)

I'm really looking forward to that next project of yours - Guyver is definitely up your alley... I'm really interested in seeing how you're going to acheive a more organic look for this armor while still using rubber. I've been looking at making a guyver suit for years now - never went pass the design stage :)

Can't wait to see your new thread pop up :love

I totally agree - I though I was good a this before seeing the speed at which Don is making his suit (being those or the IM suit or anything really). I guess I still have a lot to learn - which is really not a bad thing :)

I'm really looking forward to that next project of yours - Guyver is definitely up your alley... I'm really interested in seeing how you're going to acheive a more organic look for this armor while still using rubber. I've been looking at making a guyver suit for years now - never went pass the design stage :)

Can't wait to see your new thread pop up :love

i'm looking forward for it myself. :D he's starting tonight.:angel

Don't forget to take lots and lots of pictures.

ok going to sound stupid but what brand of foam do you use

Amazing work! so do you guys cut them out first of just glue a sheet onto some sort of base and freehand it and cut the shapes?

@paladin: Its equivalent to foamies but a little thicker. Flip flip foam! :lol

ok going to sound stupid but what brand of foam do you use

Not foam....It rubber:lol....

Just messing with you, Its been a long discussing in another topic on "what the Rubber is"

Someone will post the fabric name for it so you can buy it, Its apparently not cheap in USA but in Don robert and Izabels country is cheaper than cheap.

I have found the same rubber in 8 x 8 inch computer mouse pads here in sweden. Not something i can build a big suit from :cry

Don't forget to take lots and lots of pictures.

I will don't worry. ;)

Amazing work! so do you guys cut them out first of just glue a sheet onto some sort of base and freehand it and cut the shapes?

hmmmm... a bit hard to explain really. Robert's style and techniques are somehow different. Other cosplayers make a base and then detail it. He makes a shape then details it directly. Example you have a cylindrical shape for let's say the legs. he gets the size first by wrapping the rubber on your legs, will see how it fits then glue the ends - you now have the cylinder shape. from there he slices/cuts part where a detail comes in. check out the leg picture. if you look inside that it's not rectangular or cylindrical but has the curves for the back portion of the legs. I hope you guys understand, i really don't know how to explain. hahaha!

Not foam....It rubber:lol....

Just messing with you, Its been a long discussing in another topic on "what the Rubber is"

Someone will post the fabric name for it so you can buy it, Its apparently not cheap in USA but in Don robert and Izabels country is cheaper than cheap.

I have found the same rubber in 8 x 8 inch computer mouse pads here in sweden. Not something i can build a big suit from :cry

so i heard it's expensive there. when you guys visit the philippines tell us. let's make a costume you can take home. hahaha! :lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back