Joker Bomb Prop

DerGrundel

Hey all! So here I've made a NON-EXPLODING prop Joker Bomb. It's made from a plastic DIY ornament ball and a mache container. All of which was paper mached over, sanded and painted...then sanded and painted again another 50 times over. I cleaned up an image of the Joker's face from the classic "The Laughing Fish" comic in Photoshop, then printed out my own waterslide decal and hit it with a lot of coats of sealer and glosscote.

And to top it off, I put a smoker inside, which theoretically puts out green smoke (I haven't tried it yet).

Hopefully sometime over this summer I'll make a short video showing this little baby off in its full glory. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the finished product:

with my hand for size reference, flash on
JokerBombFin005.jpg

flash off
JokerBombFin002.jpg

Enjoy!

I've put five coats of polyurethane varnish on the inside, but am not confident that it's enough. Any thoughts on that matter? There's about 1/8" wiggle room on sides of the smoker, so I can add other materials if the polyurethane varnish won't protect it

I would think that you might need more but I'm no expert on that

I'd be really careful where you light it up at though lol

Last edited:
There's about 1/8" wiggle room on sides of the smoker, so I can add other materials if the polyurethane varnish won't protect it
Line it with lead maybe...smoke bombs can shoot a nasty little flame for several seconds before the smoke starts. I'll be surprised if that thing doesn't melt if its plastic.

Still, its cool. :D

I'll try lighting one of the smokers without the bomb just to see what kind of fire hazard I'm looking at. With any measure of good luck there won't be too much.

Haha, I certainly hope I don't end up on the news for this. I'm sure there are pleny of folk with authority who wouldn't be too pleased with my creation

I was just thinking, what about silicon? Maybe if I find some silicon sheet I can line the chamber with that? The problem would be finding a suitable sheet

Last edited:
they spout a decent amount of flame out the top where the fuse is, and little particles that are hot as all get out in the smoke it produces, made the mistake of crouching down in the smoke once, it felt like hundreds of little fireflies biting me. my worry is less about the actual fire aspect and just the fact that the smoke ball itself gets so hot on the outside. essentially the middle burns out of it. The heat that radiates out is definitely hot enough to melt some plastics and might ignite/ruin your bomb. Again this comes from experience, don't light one and hold it without gloves on.

Oh I plan on this thing being on the ground when I light it. Thanks for sharing your experience! I will take that all into thought when prepping the bomb for the first lighting

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back