Back to the Future 2015 glasses you can actually see through

Too_Many_Cars

I'm still working out a few of the bugs in laminating to the curved surface, but the owner of the BTTF Delorean who I built them for loved them:

31676_1478953090887_1145561339_3055229_6341893_n.jpg

3pairs.jpg

Unlike the originals, you can see through these and actually drive a Delorean in a parade with them.

Many thanks to Pete's metal build for getting this project going.

--Brian

Re: BTTF 2015 glasses you can actually see through

Good job Brian, if you ever move this thread to the JY I am in for one ;)

Cya

Gus

That's pretty damn neat! Any way to get them more "brushed aluminum" looking?

I'm stuck with whatever I can get in a 50% transparent film, or (for the next try) a two way mirror acrylic sheet with the mirror vacuum deposited on to get rid of those awful wrinkles.

If anyone can find something that looks like aluminum share the wealth, I haven't found anything except for mirror sheets for window tinting and such.

--Brian

(PS Kevin Pike the special effects coordinator for Back to the Future recommended I just use aluminum and mill some tiny slots in it to see through...)

Showed off the glasses (and BTTF car) at the Huntington Beach Concours today:

CIMG1474.jpg

CIMG1497.jpg

Also managed to grab a pic of my Quantum of Solace jacket next to a couple of brand new Aston Martins:

CIMG1478.jpg

Aston Martin uses frames from the car chase in that film on the rear screens of the sales brochure for the 4-door Rapide. Fun stuff.

Car buffs may enjoy seeing the whole set of pictures.

--Brian

Have you tried running a scotch brite pad horizontaly across the front? It would give the aluminum look if done properly.......but I don't know what that would do to the vision aspect of it

The problem with brushing the surface is that it would ruin the ability to see through them. One of the caveats about filmmaking.. Christopher Lloyd couldn't see a damn thing when they were shooting those scenes.

The problem with brushing the surface is that it would ruin the ability to see through them. One of the caveats about filmmaking.. Christopher Lloyd couldn't see a damn thing when they were shooting those scenes.
wat about some kind of scratch decal like those fake cracks in glass for car windows

That is so cool, I hope to see a junkyard thread sometime in the future. Until then I'll just admire the fine work.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back