Captain America Shield - Could use advice

I'm not a fiberglass guru either, but my understanding is that if you decide to go with bondo, you can put the release agent (wax) straight onto it.

I'm not sure bondo is the best thing to use though. It's definitely working, but if I was to do it again, I probably would have gotten the drywall filler as smooth as possible and then sprayed on polyurethane.

I'm not a fiberglass guru either, but my understanding is that if you decide to go with bondo, you can put the release agent (wax) straight onto it.

I'm not sure bondo is the best thing to use though. It's definitely working, but if I was to do it again, I probably would have gotten the drywall filler as smooth as possible and then sprayed on polyurethane.

so drywall mud as smooth as possible and then (I'm assuming) multiple coats of poly with sanding in between until I get it perfect. Then release wax to make the mold.

I can do that.

pictures as I get to work.

That's how I would do it, but you might want to get some advice from someone who actually knows what they are doing.

30 inches wide.

Based on measurements I took from cross section in the 1985 (i think) Handbook to The Marvel Universe, it is between 3 and 3.5 inches thick. When you scale something from a few inches wide to thirty inches wide you lose some accuracy though, so I can't make any promises on the thickness.

Given how many artists have drawn Captain America, there is no definitive stripe spacing, but I personally like three inch stripes and an inner circle with a 1ft diameter.

That's all for the comics. For the movies, I don't know.

i did it as a pep that i got from bimmer. it was my first pep and time was a factor for me (also it was too big) but fun to do and his file didn't seem to be in as many pieces as yours. overall loving the work with the foam circles, looks great!

This is from the Marvel Universe Issue showing the Shield:
9891476104420193.jpg

They list it as a Concave disc, 30" in diameter but the Movie Shield is more like 25-26" in Diameter from what many who have seen it up-close at Comic-Con.
06.jpg

30 inches wide.

Based on measurements I took from cross section in the 1985 (i think) Handbook to The Marvel Universe, it is between 3 and 3.5 inches thick. When you scale something from a few inches wide to thirty inches wide you lose some accuracy though, so I can't make any promises on the thickness.

Given how many artists have drawn Captain America, there is no definitive stripe spacing, but I personally like three inch stripes and an inner circle with a 1ft diameter.

That's all for the comics. For the movies, I don't know.

wow, that's a different way to make a shield! Very creative! Props to you, it's looking good so far. looking forward to see how it turns out.

I did a test with that paper mache stuff, and several days (and 20 minutes in the oven) later it still isn't completely dry.

I'm going to experiment later today with the quick-drying drywall mud, but in the meantime, does anyone have any advice of a good material to build the foam up into a curve?
Perhaps try expandable caulking foam-you can just shoot it out of the aerosol can and sand it off when it is dry. I lucked out by living in a big city-my shield was from a movie prop shop for $35-I covered over the raised designs with Bondo, but boy did it take a long time. For the painting, I used low-tack painter's tape and a fresh xacto blade.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back