The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Hi, I'm scaling a helmet way down and finding that when I print it out the numbers are about 90% unreadable (I did try it with not scaling font and scaling font). I've poked around in Designer and can't find anything that seems to help and everything I try to search for comes up with unrelated threads/webpages. I just wanted to check if that was probably the file or if it's probably my printer, before I go off to do something possibly stupid. Thanks!

Those numbers can become unreadable when printed... especially when you're scaling down. I've run across it a few times myself, so I would think it's a normal quirk of the file being printed. If you have Pepakura designer and are using a PDO file, just keep it open while you go one piece at a time and use the designer for visual reference and verification.

I'm a major noob with pepakura or cosplaying in general. I need some serious help
So I have this pdo, femshep N7 armor from ME3 that has already been unfolded. What do I do now?
I was trying to scale individual pieces such as the chest by itself, but I don't know how to get the it by itself. Please help!
fem n7.png

I'm a major noob with pepakura or cosplaying in general. I need some serious help
So I have this pdo, femshep N7 armor from ME3 that has already been unfolded. What do I do now?
I was trying to scale individual pieces such as the chest by itself, but I don't know how to get the it by itself. Please help!
View attachment 365647

So are you saying the entire suit is in one PDO file? If so, then you can't just change the scale of one piece; any scale change will affect all of the pieces in that file. Someone could export the model into 3d software, separate the parts out individually, and then bring them back into Pepakura... That would be a lot of work though, and the original unfolds would be lost. Best bet is to find someone who has already separated out the model and done this, but I have no idea if that has happened.

There are femshep armor builds in the forum, but I think they used mostly simple paper templates on foam, not Pepakura.

What about focusing on one section of the pdo at a time? Scale the entire model to the one section you are focusing on and only print off those parts. Move on to another piece and scale it accordingly, printing out only those parts. This could be helpful for those of us that are not proportioned the same as the model (myself included).

What about focusing on one section of the pdo at a time? Scale the entire model to the one section you are focusing on and only print off those parts. Move on to another piece and scale it accordingly, printing out only those parts. This could be helpful for those of us that are not proportioned the same as the model (myself included).

You absolutely can do that, using the point-to-point measurement tool to check scale sizes between parts. It could be a tedious process depending on how the unfold was done, though, especially if it's a paper pep build.

I have been looking for a roman centurion pep for a while. I found a link for one, German maybe?, but it either doesn't work or I can't open it. Does anybody have or can point me in the direction of one?

Hi! Apologies if this has been covered.... 68+ pages is a lot!

Are there ways to adapt and scale Pepakura files to fit a child? My 6 year old wants realistic Iron Man Armor, and the Pepakura method looks really promising...... except the really good and accurate ones that I'm finding are for adults.

Hi! Apologies if this has been covered.... 68+ pages is a lot!

Are there ways to adapt and scale Pepakura files to fit a child? My 6 year old wants realistic Iron Man Armor, and the Pepakura method looks really promising...... except the really good and accurate ones that I'm finding are for adults.

The individual pieces would have to be scaled down accordingly, It's usually not as simple as just scaling down the entire suit to their height unless you're lucky. Depending on the Iron man you are looking for, you should be able to find someone who has built a child scale version and they may still have their files (and advice). Are you looking for a particular suit version? I might also have a set of files already close to scale as well.

So are you saying the entire suit is in one PDO file? If so, then you can't just change the scale of one piece; any scale change will affect all of the pieces in that file. Someone could export the model into 3d software, separate the parts out individually, and then bring them back into Pepakura... That would be a lot of work though, and the original unfolds would be lost. Best bet is to find someone who has already separated out the model and done this, but I have no idea if that has happened.

There are femshep armor builds in the forum, but I think they used mostly simple paper templates on foam, not Pepakura.

I brought the file into Maya and separate the parts out individually then I went back in pepakura to size the pieces

I brought the file into Maya and separate the parts out individually then I went back in pepakura to size the pieces

Yup, that works too, although once you modify the file in 3d software, you'll have to re-unfold it in Pepakura. Just to note, just about every suit modeled for Pepakura that can be found for download on the RPF (Mk 3,4,6,7,42,Patriot,etc...) have already been separated into individual pieces for scaling.

Yup, that works too, although once you modify the file in 3d software, you'll have to re-unfold it in Pepakura. Just to note, just about every suit modeled for Pepakura that can be found for download on the RPF (Mk 3,4,6,7,42,Patriot,etc...) have already been separated into individual pieces for scaling.

Ok! Thank you for all your help!

I'd have to double-check to see if scaling works, but you can re-import models after making changes in 3d software and not totally lose the unfold.

I made some pretty severe changes to an area on a mesh (cut some holes, welded some verts, etc), and was surprised at how well designer handled it.

I'd have to double-check to see if scaling works, but you can re-import models after making changes in 3d software and not totally lose the unfold.

I made some pretty severe changes to an area on a mesh (cut some holes, welded some verts, etc), and was surprised at how well designer handled it.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!
LOL Pepakura will tear natural unfolds to pieces; I am ENTIRELY too familiar with the algorithm it uses. What I was speaking of, is the adjustments of the unfolds in a way that can be used comfortably...

Better put, If you export a model from Pepakura that has already been unfolded (as in, made to be built for paper, foam, muppets :) ), when you bring it back, your unfold will be gone. It redefines the vectors and the pieces. As an example, when I scale pieces for people, I stretch it one direction often, to make a thigh longer. That adjustment, when kicked back to Pepakura, is gone.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!
LOL Pepakura will tear natural unfolds to pieces; I am ENTIRELY too familiar with the algorithm it uses. What I was speaking of, is the adjustments of the unfolds in a way that can be used comfortably...

Better put, If you export a model from Pepakura that has already been unfolded (as in, made to be built for paper, foam, muppets :) ), when you bring it back, your unfold will be gone. It redefines the vectors and the pieces. As an example, when I scale pieces for people, I stretch it one direction often, to make a thigh longer. That adjustment, when kicked back to Pepakura, is gone.

You sound more experienced in Pepakura than me, but are you using the reimport function? I had little issue bringing an unfolded piece back in - only the remodeled regions were affected, so it was a minor issue to stitch things back together. Honestly I'd expect that to fail and a stretched model to work.

You sound more experienced in Pepakura than me, but are you using the reimport function? I had little issue bringing an unfolded piece back in - only the remodeled regions were affected, so it was a minor issue to stitch things back together. Honestly I'd expect that to fail and a stretched model to work.

Completely forgot about that option :) The problem is, when I modify a model (for scaling at least) I usually end up changing upwards of 90% of the geometry, so the little that a reimport of the model would save me isn't worth it to keep for me. Now, if you were just stretching like the center of a thigh section, so you were only really modifying a half dozen polygons or so, then I would DEFINITELY do it your way. I just end up tinkering with models way too much, changing scales and geometry of the pieces all throughout the model, so the amount that could be saved becomes negligible. Also, I've unfolded about a trillion peps :), so reunfolding doesn't take me too long usually. I also do especially like the reimport function if I'm adding detailing to something like a chest piece; definitely saves me a lot of unfolding.
Thank you for reminding about that!

Hello everyone. Long time lurker here having a small issue. I'm wanting to make a warlock costume from WoW an I was able get the file I want using the wow model viewer. While working on it in the pep designer program it crashes. I saved the pdo and uploaded it to my onedrive. Would anyone be willing to check it out and see what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=683E6D15176E6D3A

... Would anyone be willing to check it out and see what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=683E6D15176E6D3A

Opened fine for me. It's a fairly simple model with a low polygon count, and shouldn't be causing any problems in Pepakura. Make sure you have a current version of Pepakura. Also, you can try this:

1-Open the file in Pepakura
2-select unfold (specific options don't matter)
3-File>export>3d model/ Uv info..... Save the file under whatever name
4-Now restart Pepakura, and open the .OBJ file you created in the previous step. Proceed as normal.

That will give a fresh file version and may fix any corruptions in the model that could have caused problems before. As a side note, when you open the .OBJ in Pepakura, Flip the faces when Pepakura prompts that option for you. Your current model's faces are all facing in, they should be facing out.

Thanks I'll try that when I get back home. The file opens fine. It's when I start to actually edit it. Such as I start removing some of the spikes on the top then it will crash. I'll record my screen and try to duplicate the issue.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back