The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Re: iron man pep question

Just start...the more piece you put together the fewer you'll have to look through when looking for your next piece. I usually try to start at a distinctive part (Iron Man's "face" for example) rather than going by the order of the numbers.

I've never once kept the pepakura program open while working. Just keep at it. It seems daunting, but you can only move forward by just doing it.

On another note, people have requested a pepakura sub-forum, but I think we need a complete Iron Man Pep subforum. :p

There seems to be a million of these threads anymore.

-Nick

Just start...the more piece you put together the fewer you'll have to look through when looking for your next piece. I usually try to start at a distinctive part (Iron Man's "face" for example) rather than going by the order of the numbers.

I've never once kept the pepakura program open while working. Just keep at it. It seems daunting, but you can only move forward by just doing it.

On another note, people have requested a pepakura sub-forum, but I think we need a complete Iron Man Pep subforum. :p

-Nick

Thanks for the pep talk! hah get it?? (terrible) And YES there should be an entire pep section and hopefully everyone will get a little less iron man crazy soon, including me.

Thanks for the pep talk! hah get it?? (terrible) And YES there should be an entire pep section and hopefully everyone will get a little less iron man crazy soon, including me.

What I like to do is seperate each piece out by page. I build by keeping the pepakura program open and matching up piece by piece and line things up that way. I actually use my cricut as a plotter and cutter so I don't even have numbers when I put pieces together but I find as long as I keep things seperated by page and use the pepakura software as a guide it's easy to get pieces together.

I think you should be more concerned about what type fold that you have to do for the sections. You just have to make sure you know about the mountain folds and valley folds.

And now that the Cricut is brought up, I actually thought about that 'cause my sister has 3 different sizes. Dancing Fool if you don't mind can you post up more about how to cut the Pep program it with Cricut?

Sounds like the army, when we folded our clothing the right and the wrong way :D

I think you should be more concerned about what type fold that you have to do for the sections. You just have to make sure you know about the mountain folds and valley folds.

And now that the Cricut is brought up, I actually thought about that 'cause my sister has 3 different sizes. Dancing Fool if you don't mind can you post up more about how to cut the Pep program it with Cricut?

Sure, what you need to do is export as a vector format, and choose emf.

Then you load up the emf in adobe illustrator or another vector editing package.

Unfortunately since Pepakura exports it as one big file you have to manually seperate it into the seperate pages.

Export each of these seperate pages as an SVG file.

Then you can load up the SVG's in either Make The Cut or Sure Cuts a Lot, they're both software packages for cutting out custom shapes on the Cricut.

I then do one pass with the pen attachment so I can plot all the lines, and then do a second pass with the cutting blade attached.

Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST!

If I were to set up a domain name and put up some sort of free file hosting, much like my image host but specifically for PDO/PDF/ZIP files, could I talk everyone into NOT using 4shared anymore?

If I were to set up a domain name and put up some sort of free file hosting, much like my image host but specifically for PDO/PDF/ZIP files, could I talk everyone into NOT using 4shared anymore?

I doubt you would get EVERYONE to switch, but perhaps someplace where you could view a preview "on site" of the file you were about to download might be something I would go to instead. I personally have been d/l and/all pep files I can to make an archive as well for sharing with my friends, family and co-workers. If you do create such a place please send me a PM so I can check it out.

A preview function would be fantastic, but I don't think there's a way I could do that on the fly with PDO files...it'd really still have to be up to the creator or uploader to supply an appropriate image. Either that, or I'd have a second full-time job tracking uploads and making thumbnails. :)

I'll poke around and see what I can find by way of hosting scripts. The one I'm using for the image hosting is OK, but it doesn't preserve the original file name, which I think would be important to keep with something like this. I actually already have an appropriate domain name (because I was going to work on this anyway, even if nobody uses it :lol ) so it's just a question of getting some software in place.

I'll drop you a note if and when I get something together, Klwl, if you'd like to help me test it out :)

Sure thing, drop me a line here or over at SIWDAT when things get rolling

http://www.zealot.com/forum/

They already have an upload library.
[edit]
You have to have a minimum of 10 posts on their forums in order to access the upload area.

Last edited:

-Nick

+100 on that! My head is spinning trying to find/follow all the great builds happening!

Question: is there a way to do pep without using fiberglass or Bondo? I know the initial paper model needs to be strengthened, then smoothed - but isn't there something a little less toxic to use? :confused

If no one has tried anything, I may experiment around and see if I find something. I guess it's all a matter of durability...

Well if all safety precautions are taken and the chemicals are used properly, they can quite SAFELY be used, over and over again.

With that being said, yes you can use alternative fillers and hardeners on your pieces.

Without disparaging those other chemicals, the fiberglass/bondo/resin/glaze techniques offer quick turnaround in the curing of the chemical among the benefits.

This quick turnaround saves time but also has an added bonus in that, since we are working with paper, the less time the hardening chemicals stay liquid, the better.
Paper tends to soak up whatever you put on it and can often become weak.

So while white glue, plaster, latex, and regular "tape" might be the way go if you really arent going to use the chemical stuff.

i third a pep forum so it can move all the ironman pep builds there, so i can skip over them and read the other cool pep projects that are going on.

im still not entirely sure its something i want to try yet, but i would like to watch a few people's projects move along.

Question: is there a way to do pep without using fiberglass or Bondo? I know the initial paper model needs to be strengthened, then smoothed - but isn't there something a little less toxic to use? :confused

Aquaresin and Aquaglass are the main nontoxic solutions I hear, but some people have had great results using the simplest solution of all: Paper Maché.

Good luck.

-Nick

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back