The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST!

White glue melts at a fairly low temperature, although I don't know specifically what that temp is.

I build model rockets out of paper as well, and one of techniques to rolling a perfect body tube is to coat one edge of the paper with white glue, let it dry, roll it to the desired diameter, and then go over the seam with a clothes iron. The heat from the iron melts the glue and fuses the paper.

You could always do a test - just glue some paper scraps together and bake them for a little while. Preferably at a very low temperature and with a fire extinguisher handy just in case. :D

Yeah, that's exactly the test I was gonna try, minus the fire extinguisher! What the heck, I rent...

Yeah, that's exactly the test I was gonna try, minus the fire extinguisher! What the heck, I rent...
:lol

Well, I'm only a few hours north of you, so I can bring an extinguisher down if you run into trouble. Not that it'll be of any help by then, but at least you'll have something to bash your head against. :D

Iron Man Pepakura Helmet - Second Go. Finished. Any resin tips??

is it possible to add colour to the parts in pepakura designer?

Last edited:

resoning is pretty easy, even I can do it! Fiberglassing is a tad more involved but not mind boggling just take your time and you can even do it in stages. Now bondoing on the other hand I have no advice at all since i suck so terribly bad at it. But to answer your question at bondo stage yes you can sand re-bondo (or w/e you use to harden it ie. joint compound, bondo, etc) then sand, and repeat if needed.

I wish I could just pep a helmet, strengthen and then apply a thin coat of clay to shape it......

cheers

Edit : yeh I think I took care of the problem.

Last edited:

What is Bondo?
Halfway serious answer: It's 5 letters to type into Google.

Actual serious answer: It's a polyester-based filler compound that's typically used in automotive body work. Bondo is actually a specific brand name, but you can find the same type of product under many names in any auto parts store, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.

It's a thick pasty substance that hardens very quickly via a chemical reaction. You mix a certain amount of hardener with the filler material, apply it to your project, and then wait for it to set up. There is a period of time where it's sort of rubbery, almost, before it fully hardens and can be roughly shaped with a variety of tools. Once it's fully hardened you're pretty much limited to grinding or sanding it to shape.

Hope that helps a little, and don't be shy about plugging unfamiliar terms into a search engine. :)

For those of you wanting to try out wood glue on your pep. Just a heads up it will most likely warp your cardstock.

Just wanted to throw this in here as its a useful tip for anyone who is fiberglassing their pep parts, instead of using fiberglass cloth I used regular kitchen paper towel and brushed the resin on to that, it cured solid just as cloth would normally, just a small tip there to hopefully help anyone save a few coins.
I did a test piece in this fashion today with the absolute cheapest paper towels I could put my hands on, and it really does work remarkably well. Definitely a little more flexible after curing than regular glass, but that's most likely due to the ultra-thin budget brand I picked up.

I'm lucky in that I frequently get to collect good sized scraps of glass cloth from the composite shop at work, but I've got to say...paper towels certainly do a commendable job, they're a hell of a lot easier to work with than glass, and you get a whole lot o'square footage for a rather meager investment. I'm going to try another piece with some higher grade shop towels and see if that improves the rigidity a bit.

Thanks for the tip, probably would have never tried it if you hadn't suggested it. :)

very interesting idea w/ the shop towels, I'm going to try this as well.

i know you can fiberglass resin some fleece with great results. i worked with a friend that was making custom speaker enclosures using it to make the different shapes. wet sand smooth as normal.

Very Sad.... I do not see a version for iMac :cry
or did I miss it on their web site :confused

Hey all,

I was wondering...has anyone tried to make an pepakura Iron Man statuette? I know the full-scale body armor pieces are being created constantly, but I'd love to have a 10-12" statue of Iron Man to build, paint and put up on my desk. Doesn't that sound cool?

I know it would be too difficult to make a really detailed replica of the Iron Man suit at such a small scale, but I think the angular nature of pep would make for a really cool interpretation of the suit at that size.

Anybody interested in taking on a project like that? Maybe the body parts could be in sections, so the figure would be posable? I've never worked in the Pep program myself and I work on macs, but i'd be really interested to see this come to life and would do anything i could to help!

Hey all,

I was wondering...has anyone tried to make an pepakura Iron Man statuette? I know the full-scale body armor pieces are being created constantly, but I'd love to have a 10-12" statue of Iron Man to build,...

Why not get the full size and shrink them?

The pieces need to be simplified to construct them at such a small scale. the helmet for example, all the tiny crevices and angles would need to be removed to create a smoother surface that's more reasonable to put together. At this size, the head would only be about 1.5" tall, so all the fine surface features couldnt be shrunk to that size.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back