The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Hi, My Brother HL-2170W laser printer died while printing up card stock, was working fine for a week to two until today. What is the best or second best printer that prints Card stock with no problem?

Re: Would Pepakura run on a netbook?

Hi, anyone out there running pepakura designer on a net book?
I've got it installed on my Dell Mini 10 (Atom 450 processor) and it works just fine...

...but why not just put a bigger hard drive in your Mac? Seems more logical to me - and cheaper - than buying a whole new computer just to run one program.

I've got it installed on my Dell Mini 10 (Atom 450 processor) and it works just fine...

...but why not just put a bigger hard drive in your Mac? Seems more logical to me - and cheaper - than buying a whole new computer just to run one program.

You're probably right, but the insides of computers are strange and scary to me. What if I cut the blue wire and I was supposed to cut the red? My computer will explode! Stuff like that goes through my head when I think about messing with my computer's insides.

The way I see it, by the time I watch all the youtube videos, buy the hard drive, wait for it to be shipped to my house, fiddle around with all the screws, figure out how to transfer all my stuff to the new hard drive and then buy windows it probably cheaper in gas, time, and money to just buy a little net book and use it as my costuming computer.

You're probably right, but the insides of computers are strange and scary to me. What if I cut the blue wire and I was supposed to cut the red? My computer will explode! Stuff like that goes through my head when I think about messing with my computer's insides.

The way I see it, by the time I watch all the youtube videos, buy the hard drive, wait for it to be shipped to my house, fiddle around with all the screws, figure out how to transfer all my stuff to the new hard drive and then buy windows it probably cheaper in gas, time, and money to just buy a little net book and use it as my costuming computer.

Don't waste your time with a netbook, you can buy a nice cheap dell laptop that will do all you want and more for 400 bucks . :thumbsup You can also go the refurbished route and get more bang for your buck with the same warranty. (although I ALWAYS suggest getting an extended warranty with accidental spill coverage) I know I sound like a salesman but I am not. Just an old computer geek who does this stuff for a living.

I've glassed a large pep piece that sagged while it was curing. It still has its basic shape, but it's noticeably asymmetrical now. Is the only way to fix asymmetry at this point just to layer on the bondo thicker in those areas that sagged and just hope nobody notices once it's painted?

Don't waste your time with a netbook, you can buy a nice cheap dell laptop that will do all you want and more for 400 bucks . :thumbsup You can also go the refurbished route and get more bang for your buck with the same warranty. (although I ALWAYS suggest getting an extended warranty with accidental spill coverage) I know I sound like a salesman but I am not. Just an old computer geek who does this stuff for a living.

Thanks Madmikeee!

How do I change the size of the final pep when it is printed in Pepakura 3 Viewer ? I want to go to 280mm high and it comes up in the viewer 265mm. I have looked everywhere to do this for about two hours and cannot find it.

You'll have to stump up for Designer if you want to change the size of a pep file. Trust me, it's worth it. The only other way would be to enlarge the printout on a photocopier, which would mean printing on large sized card - probably be cheaper and easier to get Designer.

just to let you know, designer is free. you just cant save any changes. you could just write down the new dimensions and save them, but honestly, i love that i bought the full version. well except that i can only run it on one system unless i want to buy another copy.

i tried using a heat gun on glassed parts and couldn't get it to do anything. just resined paper reshapes really well with a heat gun though.

Yeah, I didn't think so. :( Perhaps when I have the time and money to spare, I'll do it over again, but this model is so huge and labor-intensive that I just can't afford the time or money to redo it, not if I want to keep hoping I may be able to get it all done by halloween.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I haven't tried a heat gun, don't really have one anyway, but I pretty much just used 1/4" wooden dowels to support it while I coated with resin. Unfortunately, it was too big even for the resin coat to fully stand the weight. Any other suggestions on methods to make this more symmetrical again would be appreciated, though. As you can see, it bowed outward a bit on the sides, which I'm not as worried about, but on the top and front, the left side kind of sagged inward more than the right. I'm going to try to layer up some extra bondo in a few spots to make it look a bit more even, but I'm kicking myself for not shoring it up better with even more wooden dowels. I figured 3 of them should be enough, but apparently not.

Alright, if this hasn't been answered yet here in this forum I think I might as well try to answer it.

Ehmm...

Alright, Pepakura 3 has two programs. 1 the designer and 2 the viewer. The viewer like it's name entails can only view the models, it's designer that can do everything else with .pdo's. If you want to change the scale of your pep model then you are going to need to download the designer... But there's a decision you have to make here if you do this. You can buy the license for it which will allow you to -save- your work on your model, or you can skip it and only download the designer program itself, which will allow you to do everything you can (I think, I bought the license) on the licensed one, EXCEPT you can't save any of your work. Which might not sound bad, but after you scale the models (converting your measurement to mm's) you have to rearrange the pieces on the paper alignment section (the 2d section) and you have to do it all without quitting or... well you get the point. So you're thinking yeah, I'll just go get the license now, well, you may want to know it's $40... So... It's something to consider.

I'm not the master of pep, but I've been using it to make a Noble 6 suit from Halo Reach. And although the 405th is down because of maintenance (long story...) it is the definitive place for pepakura use. There is always The Dented Helmet which uses pepakura as well, I just don't know much about that forum, but it's worth a try.

As far as the fiberglass and bondo and resin go. You don't HAVE to use the first. You can make a mixture called "Rondo" which is a 50/50 mixture of resin and bondo which you apply to the inside.

BE SURE TO CHECK THIS OUT: Working With Pepakura - Making Master Chief Episode 01 - YouTube

It will take care of the rondo, bondo and late productions of pepakura.

For a glossed over summary of the whole process here's another (just don't believe what they say about it being $100... Mine's already cost me roughly $250 and I'm not done, but some of that's equipment so your suit's cost is subject to change.):

Halo Armor, Master Chief DIY : BFX : Build - YouTube

I hope this helps, I wish the 405th was up then I could just link you there with all the glory of pepakura has to offer, but unfortunately... I can't.

See you around the forums! The Armorer

Yep, I know about the process of making the parts as far as printing and cutting. I am talking about something made in Maya or one of the other designing programs. I guess it could be designed in Pep Designer ? Or imported.

So if you get the Silhouette Cameo to cut the Pep files does it also print or do you print it first then move to the cutter ? I was wondering as to how it would line up with the lines if it from another print machine.

Yep, I know about the process of making the parts as far as printing and cutting. I am talking about something made in Maya or one of the other designing programs. I guess it could be designed in Pep Designer ? Or imported.

GO TO PEPAKURA DESIGNER. One of the last tabs says 2d Menu> near the bottom it says CHANGE SCALE. Clicking it will bring up a box where you can input your measurement (in mm's) and bam! Pepakura changes the model to the measurement.

-The Armorer

Which method is better, a foam armor or papercraft? I know that papercraft requires bondo and fiberglass plus sanding and that Foam is easier. I like how the Fiberglass is sharper looking but the foam is decent also. In the forums opinion which is better?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back