Looking for Peter Ellenshaw's USS CYGNUS

Deacon

I have been searching for the Peter Ellenshaw's oil painting of the USS CYGNUS, it was featured on the cover of American Cinema magazine and this photo down below, the painting in question is behind his left shoulder. I know this painting was also in the TBH movie in the captain's dining room and you can see part of it in the specials section of the dvd, but the details are covered by a border, so its only a peekaboo type shot. Its an amazing painting packed with detail, I was able to obtain a photo shot of the painting but its in black and white, not color. If anyone has a hi res or just a decent picture of this oil painting, any help would be appreciated. My goal is to one day reproduce this incredible piece of art.

http://www.bbhgallery.com/images/Peter_Ellenshaw_3.jpg

Just a side note, the picture behind his right shoulder is used as background art for the X-2 toy at Disney's MISSION SPACE toy, I knew I recognized it and my wife didnt understand why I wouldnt throw it away. Its amazing how Mr Ellenshaw's work is still permeating Disney.

I tried contacting the Ellenshaw family, but the website curator denies knowing anything about the painting, even after I sent him the link.

By the way, this is my first post and this site is pretty amazing, no, not amazing, just incredible.

Thanks for your time

Member star-art is the expert. He is quite busy, so a reply might take time. But if you want to know about the Cygnus, he is the WORLD expert. No one living knows more about the ship than he.

I was obsessed with this model for a while, and I don't remember ever seeing a painting of the ship. It seems weird being that there were HIGHLY detailed and expensive models. So this is the first I have ever heard of the actual SHIP being painted instead of the backgrounds???

But good luck, click on COMMUNITY, then members, then find star-art member, but remember to wait a bit. Not everyone checks the forum 9 times a day. :lol:lol

Member star-art is the expert. He is quite busy, so a reply might take time. But if you want to know about the Cygnus, he is the WORLD expert. No one living knows more about the ship than he.

I was obsessed with this model for a while, and I don't remember ever seeing a painting of the ship. It seems weird being that there were HIGHLY detailed and expensive models. So this is the first I have ever heard of the actual SHIP being painted instead of the backgrounds???

But good luck, click on COMMUNITY, then members, then find star-art member, but remember to wait a bit. Not everyone checks the forum 9 times a day. :lol:lol

Thanks IndyFanChuck, the painting looks to be something more like what the artist envisioned the CYGNUS would look like, like the ENT D painting in Picard's captain's study area. The details look pretty incredible, almost a giant flying framework but done all or mostly in white and some coloring here and there. Ill give star-art a pm and see what happens. Thanks again.

If anybody is in the LA area there's a "Black Hole" event on June 13th at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica:

http://www.americancinematheque.com...NightEvents_JUNE_Aero_2010.htm#THE BLACK HOLE

"Sunday, June 13 – 5:00 PM

Co-sponsored by the Visual Effects Society: 70mm Print! THE BLACK HOLE, 1979, Disney, 98 min. Dir. Gary Nelson. It is the year 2130, and the spaceship Palomino and its crew come across a lost vessel at the edge of an immense black hole. The vessel is manned by robots and one human, Dr. Hans Reinhardt (Maximilian Schell), a prestigious scientist who plans to enter the foreboding void. This terrifically haunting sci-fi gem was nominated for Best Cinematography and Special Effects Oscars in 1980. Dr. Laura Danly, curator at the Griffith Observatory, will introduce the screening and talk about the scientific basis of the film. Discussion following with Harrison Ellenshaw, Matte Painting Supervisor and son of Production Designer Peter Ellenshaw. Special lobby display of photos, artwork and killer robots. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUJJKDa558"

It's because of stuff like this that I occasionally wish I lived in Southern CA.

1236-ellenshaw-finished-oil-painting-behind-him-left-shoulder.jpg

Still looking for this particular picture. If anyone has access to a color copy, please lmk, I have been looking for this particular painting for the last two years, I dont mind a copy, I just want to take my time to appreciate P.Elleshaw's work. I have contacted Harrison Ellenshaw, the son and he does not recall the painting. I know its in the Captain's dining room scene hanging on the wall. There are also bits of it in Disney merchandize that had they panned to the right, the ship would be there. If you bought and X-2 rocketship from MISSION SPACE, you can still see Ellenshaw's work on the back. Its timeless. That whole background on the back packaging is his work.

Im still looking undeterred. I will drop a line again to STAR-ART and hope for the best.

I also hope you find this. I'd LOVE to see a beautiful painting or print of it. Such a wonderful design. Love this movie. LOVE Vincent!

I too would be interested if you do a print! I just got finished with a full size V.I.N.CENT.! The Cygnus has always been my favorite ship of all time, I will look through my old magazines and see if I can find a decent copy of the painting you are looking for! It was a production painting that was done when they were developing the look of the Cygnus, which was originally to be called the Centaurus. I loved the fact that it was actually used in the film.

Bill

I have a friend that owns a print shop, if I can get a hi resolution pic, I will do a print-with permission from whomever gives me the hi res picture to do prints. I will not do this if it causes any ruckus or hard feelings. I just want a really big print done like what is done in the film so I can see all the details. If anyone can help and doesnt mind me doing this, I will do it with no cost to myself, only the price of the picture and shipping. Again, Im not doing this to make money or what not, I just want a really cool picture. This production painting has been lost to time, no one knows anything yet, but on the bonus section of the DVD you can still see it. Should a blu ray version come out with the remake, Im sure it will be in it. Someone must have it. My only goal is to have it hanging in my house. If the person or persons doesnt mind me reproducing it then and only then will I do that and at no profit to myself or anyone else. Im a big BLACK HOLE fan and I know there are plenty more out there, the RPF is a great community, I only wish to add to it in some small way.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back