gremlin kit?

JackAce

hello everyone. i'm new here and i'm looking into starting some new projects but its been a long time since i've picked up an airbrush and i'd like a quick fun project to get my feet wet with.

Anywho i came across some gremlin vinyl model kits and i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this? can anyone comment on the quality of one of these kits, such as how good the fit and finish is that sort of thing?

your help in this matter is appreciated.

GremlinsV03p2.jpg

Those things have been recast by everybody. The original kits were produced by Kaiyodo and came in a tan colored vinyl. Keep in mind that vinyl kits shrink, so if a vinyl kit is recast in vinyl, you are ending up with an undersized kit.

hmmm good to know. i'll see if i can't find an original kit. if not i guess i'll pick up a recast and just use it as reference material and i'll just make my own sculpt, maybe with a better pose.
anywho thanks for the heads up

You cannot trust the images that are posted on recast auctions on eBay. They show off the best or the master and send you the worst. You cannot trust the parts really fit together well. Beware.

Also... for sculpting your own, why not just use pictures and work your way from that. Sending money to recasters just gives them incentive to continue to screw others and buy stuff to recast.

All that's been mentioned about re-cast vinyl in the thread are absolutely true. That said, if you can find an original, vinyl kits are relatively easy to put together. There are several methods for doing so, and you will definitely need to fill a large piece like this to keep it from sagging under its own weight, especially at the ankles. Some opt for plaster, but I like to use a 2 part expanding foam. Works really well, and makes the piece nice and sturdy. Once assembled, finishing a vinyl kit is as easy as working on a resin kit. Only thing you need to keep in mind is not to use enamel paints on vinyl pieces unless you have a barrier coat of acrylic paint underneath. Even so, I'd be very careful. The solvent in the enamel paint will create an issue w/ the vinyl and the paint will never fully cure. Your kit will remain sticky forever.

'Course, if you sculpt your own, all that goes out the window.... :)

Thanks for your suggestions and opinions. I never really thought of things in the light of not supporting the recast market but it makes perfect sense, and I have to agree. Now I just need to find a lot more reference material to work my sculpt I recon.

Should be heading up to the hobby shop in the next week or two to get everything I need to start the build. So stay tuned for lots of WIP pics :)

in a moment of ebay madness late one eve i bought a vinyl kit, it was the most ill fitting pile of poo ive ever bought. I second Ricks comments about filling it. Pity I didnt know this when it was put together. Detail wasnt bad but it was badly warped.
I wish I could scupt more then just a lumpy spud :-/

Anyone looking for a kaiyodo gremlin there is one on ebay. I found one and bought it 4 months ago its great. So snap it up whilst you can. Its in the US but will ship.

Search for: glow in dark mohawk on ebay international .

David

I was thinking of putting mine up for sale. Its an original Kaiyodo kit. It's built and painted but can be repainted to suit your wants.

Message me if your interested.

I don't have his back spines attached in these pictures. But I have them.

Some pic's:

IMG_0160_zps6c136011.jpg

IMG_0159_zps7919c1f3.jpg

Slight thread resurrection...

How tall are the Kaiyodo kits compared to the recasts and the Kaiyodo compared to the NECA Gremlin puppets that are out for sale?

Not looking for a recast kit just curious about the size comparison between the Kaiyodo and the NECA and what the 1:1 puppets are/were. I would really like to pick one up but I prefer the Gremlin 1 style over the Gremlins 2. I would love to get a Stripe and a regular Gremlin but I do like the flasher and the Mohawk from G2, Knightdriver, yours looks pretty good.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back