Air Compressor Recommendation?

darth_myeek

Sr Member
I have a basement shop, and need an air compressor to do the following.

- use an automotive spray guy to spray a guitar body. (yes I need proper ventilation.)
- use an airbrush.
- use some airtools. (blower, and detail sandblaster which shoots about 3oz of sand.)

Would this six gallon pancake work?

I see it comes with a nailer I don't think I need. I am totally open to recommendations. Trying not to go over $170.

Any tips, would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
-DM

That's the one I have. I spray automotive on my viper helmets and cylon heads all the time with it. I also use my blower and grinder as well. It's pretty loud, though, if you're thinking of it being used in your basement.

For the price range your wanting to buy one for it'll be hard to find anything other than the style/type you have listed. If you want a quiter type you really need to go with the oil type not oil-less. They turn overr about half the speed and produce more air per stroke. Really a key rule to any compressor is to match the CFM with what your wanting to use it for.
I have a 3 stage 18.5 cfm compressor and I'd like a bigger one if I could but you know how it goes. :)

Whatever you get be sure to keep it off the floor. One place I worked had a compressor and they had it of the floor so every time it rained it would puddle around the base. The base was already rusty and the paint was peeling off by the time I started working there. Used to give us the willies thinking how one day the thing could possibly rot the tank through. Resale value would be shot as well.

Just a thought.

Thanks Fin,

I am an ignoramus regarding oiled vs oilless. Oiled, doesn't present risk for oil/air contamination right, it just means I need to maintain oil?

Thanks Fin,

I am an ignoramus regarding oiled vs oilless. Oiled, doesn't present risk for oil/air contamination right, it just means I need to maintain oil?

Yes just to maintain the compressor motor.:) But you will want to buy a air filter as running any small compressor for any length of time will produce water in your line. They can be bought for $30 or so and well worth the $$. Oh an make sure to drain your tank very often on a small compressor

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

this is one im looking at, im also looking at getting a da sander, staple/nail gun and maybe a spray gun. the psi on the sander and staple gun is 90.

harbor freights as much as i can afford right now, and it looks like it might do everything i need it to.

Just for your information so you knoe. It's not the air pressure so much as the air volume the compressor can put out. Running any of those off this compressor is going to be a painflly slow process.
"Compact compressor design, but still delivers the compressed air power you need: 0.6 CFM at 90 PSI, 1.0 CFM at 40 PSI."

Just check what the required CFM for any of the equipment is, you'll find any of them will be above 4CFm at the very least.

Definately need to keep on top of that oil level. :lol

The boss at the model shop when I worked at McFarlane didn't and the motor froze up from lack of oil. Operations manager wasn't pleased to buy a new motor.

Just for your information so you knoe. It's not the air pressure so much as the air volume the compressor can put out. Running any of those off this compressor is going to be a painflly slow process.
"Compact compressor design, but still delivers the compressed air power you need: 0.6 CFM at 90 PSI, 1.0 CFM at 40 PSI."

Just check what the required CFM for any of the equipment is, you'll find any of them will be above 4CFm at the very least.

oh wow, excellent point. bare minimum i need a compressor for sanding, and the one im looking at is 8cfm.

darnit. back to digging around.

I have several air compressors. But my workhorse is my Craftsman Professional Series 25-gal unit.

00916778000-1

It's still small enough to move around easily but can still run ALL my air tools.

I'm not sure for sandblasting what size you will need but usually with tools that consume a large amount of air might cause the pressure to drop on a smaller tank. My 8 gallon tank when in use with a air grinder or sander will drop after several minutes of use and I will have to wait for it to refill. I hope this helps.

Treker, thanks for the info regarding the pressure drop.

I am thinking about buying this blaster to knock the shine off of 3 square inches of chrome.

image_2635.jpg

Man looking at that pic, makes me think I've found a found item and don't even know it. :lol

Guys thanks for the really great pointers.

Hey, Dude--
All the previous posts are good. Sanding and sandblasting take huge amounts of cfm. And sandblasting is a huge mess unless you set up an enclosed box with sand recycler. Also, if you are going to paint, you should put a filter/dryer in line about 20' away from the compressor and dedicate an air hose to only do your painting. Use quick connects and close it up to itself when you are done painting. I hate fish-eye. If you do intend to try to do all these different things with the compressor, I'm afraid your budget will not suffice unless you find a good used one somewhere. Good luck.--Wesman

Thanks Wesman :)

Based on the recommendations here, my initial budget is growing. I am glad I didn't waste money on a smaller capacity/less powerful model.

Regarding the sandblasting, it really is only for a miniscule amount. I really am just etching a selected portion of chrome to make it look more like a 50's part where the plating seemed thinner/frostier in one section. I am planning on snaking a hose through my basement window to blast outside. I've heard the respiratory horror stories about silica sand.

Thanks for the fisheye pointer. This will be my first time with a gun, vs. cans. I've already learned about orange peel :cry, and how to fix it, but any compressor/paint gun set up tips you have are greatly appreciated.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back