What is Pepakura?

Clay is easier than pep! There I said it. When it comes to getting something beautiful and smooth, with intricate line-work, give me a soft medium like clay (Rakes and lighter fluid are my best friends) over body filler any day. In fact, I've used scaled-down pep files as sculpting armatures before just because it saves me clay, not because it makes it any easier, it just prevents me from having to deal with 25 lb of clay or more.

I'm going to have to quote you this time around, Nick. I can't help but agree; I started making something out of Pep but it's so complex and time consuming that I am thinking about abandoning it and going back to clay as the medium. I want to at least have tried both.

This summer I'll be making a fiberglass body shell using the duct tape dummy method to create my armature.

I think it also may have a lot to do with how comfortable someone is making a mold; pepakura is good for making a one-off wearable out of bondo and fiberglass without having to mold/cast it. Silicone is expensive as well.

And finhead, your work just continues to be a huge inspiration to us all. Nice job! :)

yea I think thats what people in the clay medium are forgetting - it's a base-technique -nothing more... You still have to work on it to a degree;

Again, there is no difference in me using a block of foam for a base than there is me using a pep file for symmetry.

I agree it's not that simple if you have actually built any and did it well. :)
My simple attempt so far. ;)

40.jpg

Dont be modest. That is not simple atempt. That is skills and HARD dedication. ;)

And again I see apples and pears being compared :lol

If someone makes a sculpt from scratch, just with clay, he masters the difficult task to make the translation of forms and volumes from one medium into another medium into threedimensional space. He uses his eyes and hands to get all the proportions and textures right.
The result is a sculpt.
Then that makes him IMO a full blown artist.

If someone makes a 3D model from scratch, then that makes him IMO a full blown artist. He masters the difficult task to make the translation of forms and volumes from one medium into a digital medium into threedimensional space. He uses his eyes and hands to get all the proportions right. The result is a 3D-Model. Then that makes him IMO a full blown artist.

NOW...

If someone uses the artists (!) 3D-file to unfold it, print it out, cover it in resin, bondo the heck out of it, paint it, he probably will get a great statue/costume/item.

The result does IMO not make an artist out of him, but a craftsman. There are excellent ones or rather poor ones, but the result depends more on the skills and patience that goes into finishing a piece rather than depending on real artistic skills.

So, all in all the artistry-level of sculpting and pepakura can only be compared up to the creation of the sculpt, whether it´s clay or 3D.

What I really wonder about is that the discussion is unheard of in the area of e.g. studio scale modelers. The original modelers are the artists, but also the builders are admired when they show a completed model that looks fantastic.

So, PEP to me is in the end not different from a model kit. It takes patience and skills to complete it. But completing it does not make the builders a sculptural (!) artist, but primarily very, very talented craftsmen who mastered (!) various techniques. So, if they can make a simple (or not so simple) paper cut out pattern model shine and look like it´s from a movie (Finhead, I am floored by what you did to that pep!), they are master finishers, their techniques are perfect. But artists? IMO not really in a classical sense such as any sculptor.

I think what you wrote was well tought of and well written. Its the words i can not express in written form or in english. I can express my self great i belive by talking but writing makes it dificult. I think your descriptions is well defined and well expressed.:thumbsup

yea I think thats what people in the clay medium are forgetting - it's a base-technique -nothing more... You still have to work on it to a degree;

Again, there is no difference in me using a block of foam for a base than there is me using a pep file for symmetry.

Again i belive that depends of the persons skills in sculpting and symetry in the first play.

We also use some parts to get it identical. like parts that shal be equally big on both sides. If your not carefull with the pepakura in can also deform when adding clay. In regards of that i belvie it comes down to how good paper you got, hod good and detailed the files are, sammer flat surface areas and closer foldings makes better ressult. Finhead have not rushed any corners on his pepakura and have shaped the details incredible well.
As said previously he is an ispiration to this medium of work.

I'm not really a fan of Iron Man, but this looks awesome! I think it's the simple color look of it. Not a big fan of the red and yellow. Great job!
40.jpg

It seems like every thread I read is pepakura this and pepakura that. So what is it?? Is it just paper craft? If so, why the sudden name change?

The literal meaning of 'pepakura' is that it is a portmanteau of the japanese romaji version of Papercraft, i.e. 'pe-pa-' and 'kurafuto'.

Otherwise, it's just like these other folks are saying.

Ryu

The only difference between an Artist and a Craftsman is the Craftsman gets paid for their work.

Pepakura is just another tool, use it or don't, but demeaning others that do use it, is just petty and arrogant.

I love Art, but the worst part about it...are the Artists.

And again I see apples and pears being compared :lol

If someone makes a sculpt from scratch, just with clay, he masters the difficult task to make the translation of forms and volumes from one medium into another medium into threedimensional space. He uses his eyes and hands to get all the proportions and textures right.
The result is a sculpt.

If someone makes a 3D model from scratch, then that makes him IMO a full blown artist. He masters the difficult task to make the translation of forms and volumes from one medium into a digital medium into threedimensional space. He uses his eyes and hands to get all the proportions right.
The result is a 3D-Model.

NOW...

If someone uses the artists (!) 3D-file to unfold it, print it out, cover it in resin, bondo the heck out of it, paint it, he probably will get a great statue/costume/item.

The result does IMO not make an artist out of him, but a craftsman. There are excellent ones or rather poor ones, but the result depends more on the skills and patience that goes into finishing a piece rather than depending on real artistic skills.

So, all in all the artistry-level of sculpting and pepakura can only be compared up to the creation of the sculpt, whether it´s clay or 3D.

What I really wonder about is that the discussion is unheard of in the area of e.g. studio scale modelers. The original modelers are the artists, but also the builders are admired when they show a completed model that looks fantastic.

So, PEP to me is in the end not different from a model kit. It takes patience and skills to complete it. But completing it does not make the builders a sculptural (!) artist, but primarily very, very talented craftsmen who mastered (!) various techniques. So, if they can make a simple (or not so simple) paper cut out pattern model shine and look like it´s from a movie (Finhead, I am floored by what you did to that pep!), they are master finishers, their techniques are perfect. But artists? IMO not really in a classical sense such as any sculptor.

I guess that sums it up very well. :thumbsup

I would not be able to sculpt the Iron Man armor out of clay, but being an autobody guy, I think I can make paper into iron :love

The only difference between an Artist and a Craftsman is the Craftsman gets paid for their work.

Pepakura is just another tool, use it or don't, but demeaning others that do use it, is just petty and arrogant.

I love Art, but the worst part about it...are the Artists.

Nothing in this thread has been more true than this. I'm still laughing, Thanks for that one ! Cheers,

Joe

I just dont understand why there are many who hate the idea of pepakura. Its like old people when Rock n roll first came out, lol. I dont see it as cheating, it's just a different way to achieve great results. I can sculpt pretty much anything but also enjoy pepakura :lol I see nothing wrong with it.

I personally use pepakura for a lot of what I do and I never thought about whether or not it was art. I kind of just figured it was a good way for me to get props made. Especially since I don't have a steady hand so making a 3D model is easier for me to do in blender rather than in real-life with clay. I can always hit undo during that stage.

WOW. This thread is like an old record that my Mom used to listen to... Just three years ago, pepakura was a big controversy, and now, as predicted, it's all over therpf! :) And 3-D printing IS taking a strong foot-hold... I am happy to stumble across this thread. What an archive! It is rare to be able to catch such a glimpse of history; emotions can be historical, too. I wonder if any of the original contributors would be willing to chime in and let us know if and how their feelings have changed since 2010. Since I am here, I will give my two cents: I believe pepakura IS an art-form, and I will tell you why- I have seen art from all over the world, from all thrue-out history... and the one constant is that "art" is always evolving and changing. It is always taking on new forms of expression thrue new media. But it remains constant that "art" is a physical expression of ones own interest, no matter the medium.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back