Uncharted 2 belt buckle

That should be no problem. Such small pieces are not as difficult as a massive buckle. I ordered some buckles and think that they are made for 3,9 cm coins. That one have to check carefully to guaranty they fit. They can be finished to gold, brass, silver - as one prefers...

Very cool! Looking forward to it. Wow, finally the mystery was cracked!!! Too bad you did all that work for nothing though, I still think your design looks great!

Whoa! That buckle mystery was tougher to crack than any puzzle in the games. Thanks, Michael! You did it!

Leatherworker, I agree with Kredepops. It's a shame to see all your hard work for nothing.
Having said that, will you make these available as complete sets or just the rising sun coins?

I wouldn't say the work was for nothing. Was a lot of fun trying to be as close as possible - and apart from the engravings, I was pretty close. Had such experiences before with many props I did - every time when a better close-up picture or screen shot appeared.

I will do some research on these buckles. One have to be careful. There are many similar ones with more pins at the border. Will also check wether they are available in gold...

Can anyone explain to me what a "coin buckle" is?

So, all you really have to do is buy a buckle like this and insert the "Rising Sun" design into it?

Wow, great find! And great custom work by leatherworker!
I suppose a 39mm shapeways rising sun coin should be pretty affordable and easy.
Count me in whenever you get the coin online!

Can anyone explain to me what a "coin buckle" is?

So, all you really have to do is buy a buckle like this and insert the "Rising Sun" design into it?

Basically it's a buckle that you can insert a 39mm coin into and switch it out for any coin you want.
I Saw several online with Marine Corp coins, old Aztec coins etc.

AMAZING! Michael, you are THE MAN!!! First post, and you crack this case!? NICE WORK!!!

As soon as the coins go on sale (w/ or w/out buckle), count me IN!!

Hmmm...

I think a little question is still open. In the picture from Michael there is a ring of spheres around the bezel. I attached a picture of a very similar buckle with an even gold plated bezel. I tried hard to see wether in game there are some indications what would be closer. Whats your opinion?

Hmmm again....

when I compared the two images closer, I would say that naughty dog has used ecactly this image as a reference. The shadows and highlights etc. are all the same. Seems unlikely to happen by accident...

Wether they ask for permission?:lol

Great that I could help. :) Changing the coin will be a good way to create this belt.
I made my own buckle via Shapeways but it will be more expensive. Anyway, I guess it will be cool too, because every part of the buckle will have the same material. I'll get mine in "antique bronze glossy" in two weeks. :) I can post a picture if I have my hands on it.
Michael
uncharted_buckle_02.jpg

Last edited:
I have a question- surrounding the coin slot there's a series of little spheres...these are the only versions ive seen online.
however, the one in the game doesn't have those spheres surrounding the rising sun.

Are these spheres removable or is it a different buckle altogether?

I actually think they are there. The pictures are just so low-res that it's impossible to see. If you look closely at the buckle Leatherworker poster above, you can almost make out small irregularities around the coin slot. I think those are the bumps. It could of course also be .jpg compression artifacts haha.

Great that I could help. :) Changing the coin will be a good way to create this belt.
I made my own buckle via Shapeways but it will be more expensive. Anyway, I guess it will be cool too, because every part of the buckle will have the same material. I'll get mine in "antique bronze glossy" in two weeks. :) I can post a picture if I have my hands on it.
Michael
uncharted_buckle_02.jpg

One solid brass piece is cool too. It'd make more sense to me because the other two buckles are just one solid piece.

I mean either way you go it'd still look cool. 9 chances out of 10 nobody is going to know who you are anyway unless they're a gamer so it really doesn't matter.

Honestly, that makes it a lot nicer because you can wear this stuff around daily and it doesn't feel like you're wearing a costume. :)

I don't believe that the spheres are on the uncharted buckle. If tHe spheres around the outer edge of the buckle are visible so the spheres around the coin should be visible as well ( if they are there)
Look at the sample buckle above (with the Marine Corp coin) it also has no spheres. The marine buckle is the only one I've seen without the spheres, but if you'll look closely you'll see the the there's a gap in th area where the spheres are supposed to be.
There's about a 1cm space between the edge of the coin and the two knobs that hold the coin in place.
The ones that have the spheres around the coin have the spheres right up against the knobs. Its likely that the spheres are a secondary framing option that can be removed...but I can't confirm until I have one in hand to examine.

http://static.zoovy.com/img/rcm1/-/T/western_antique_coin_picture_holder_belt_buckle.jpg

Yeah, I see the space you're talking about in one like this. So, do the coins load from the front of these buckle's or the back? For some reason I kept picturing these working like a picture frame. I've never owned one before.

I guess it's possible that ring of sphere's could be decoration that could be removed but when I look at this one up close it looks like it's a part of the mold.

I think th coins load from the front, then the frame is put on top of it. The frame probably has two screws which insert into the buckle and pop out the back of the buckle. Once the screws are stickig out of the back you screw on a couple of nuts or something.
Maybe it does load from the back..??

I haven't been able to find a source for the buckles yet. I found a few on eBay, but they have too many spheres around the edges.
The correct ones I've find on google image searches seem to be silver.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back