Uncharted 2 belt buckle

Hi there!

In principle it would be possible. I tried to find a company to take the casting, but I did not succeed. They are only interested in larger quantities and other materials. That means I have to do them by hand. With my new melting equipment and some modifications in the mold composition, I think that I can increase the number of possible castings per mold and thus reduce the costs significantly. The most time consuming - and expensive part - stays the application of a real brass layer and the finishing process.

At the moment I am absorbed finishing my uncharted watch project. But an improved buckle will be the next thing on my list. Will be back with more information soon...

Best

So...after finishing my ultimate uncharted watch project I will revisit the UC 2 buckle project.

After wearing the first prototype for a while I encountered several flaws:

1) The intension was "robust". However, this thing weights 200 g. Its more "break in a car windshield". For outdoor use, climbing etc. a lower profile and less weight would be favorable. So I will now reduce the thickness by approx. 1-2 mm - its then still thicker than e.g. the buckle from part 1 and still rock solid.

2) Since the leather of my belts is nearly 5 mm thick, I thought a "podest" under the pin would result in an more even positioning. Problem: The higher pressure results in ugly marks on the leather and the strap is bend. So I will remove this feature.

3) The details and shape - in particular the engravings - did not came out 100% after casting. I will have to use new molds with a higher volume which can take more heat and allow to increase the flux pressure.

4) I still have no high res images of the engravings. So this point is my personal interpretation and may be different in-game. If someone stumbles over some pictures or info about this point please let me know.

5) After replaying the game, the finishing is also a difficult task. Sometimes it looks like shiny gold, sometimes weathered brass with silver coming through etc. This will be in the end a very subjective decision. Possible is everything - even 24 ct gold plating...

Comments, suggestions, ideas etc. are extremely welcome!

Keep you updated...

I rarely see your level of attention to real functionality in a prop. Nice work!

For Uncharted 2, do you know of any scenes where the belt is shown prominently? I'll try to pull some screen caps.

Leatherworker, I'm sorry you haven't come across any solid HD shots of the buckle. I'll try to get some for you later today, if I can. I love all of your Uncharted items (holsters, buckle, watch, etc.), and can't wait to see them all 100% finished! I think you do amazing work, and I hope you keep it up!

Thanks for the kindness:$

I played the game over and over and did not find a good scene. Checked all the art books as well. I posted this link already (Metal Man Jake: custom buckle for Drake costume) and it is still the best I could find - given that it is authentic. I fear that without some "connections" to NDI or sony it will be difficult. Since I tried to contact them in the past concerning one of the holsters, without any response, I think its not worth a try. They may have good reasons. Anyone out there having some good connections?

The question now: Proceed or wait for more input?

Would be a bit frustrating that after coming up with a finished version a better picture becomes available...

Leatherworker, I think the buckle you've described as the most recent incarnation (thinner, etc.) is probably going to be the best bet. Out of all the ones I've seen, your last one pictured looks AMAZING. So if this newer one is even thinner and better, you might have the perfect UC2 buckle!

Since the game has been out for years, I think it would be extremely unlikely that any new info, pics, behind the scenes, or anything new pertaining to the game would come to light.

All in all, with your attention to detail and perfection, I'm sure everyone is going to be over the moon when you've completed this new buckle. I know I'm waiting with bated breath!

Metal Man Jake: custom buckle for Drake costume

I like the look of this one.

I doubt Nate would be wearing a solid gold belt buckle. If the guy could afford that he wouldn't be out treasure hunting to begin with.

You really don't want to have a heavy belt buckle either, thinner is better. I have both the Uncharted 1 buckle and Uncharted 3 and both seem to be the perfect weight and thickness.

I've been playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss and he's got a different buckle in this game too but I can't make out what it looks like.

Leatherworker, after hours of trying, I just can't get a high-res screenshot of the belt buckle. The ones posted in this thread already look as good as what I could do. Sorry.

Pitfall, I was really trying to research the GA buckle, and it looks to me like it could be a stainless steel/silver buckle that features a hand with fingers outstretched. Here's a BIG pic of the buckle.

http://seriousless.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Uncharted_Golden_Abyss_2.jpg

Leatherworker, after hours of trying, I just can't get a high-res screenshot of the belt buckle. The ones posted in this thread already look as good as what I could do. Sorry.

Pitfall, I was really trying to research the GA buckle, and it looks to me like it could be a stainless steel/silver buckle that features a hand with fingers outstretched. Here's a BIG pic of the buckle.

http://seriousless.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Uncharted_Golden_Abyss_2.jpg

Boy, the more I look at that buckle the more I think it looks like the Uncharted 2 buckle. That "hand and fingers" might very well be the "Rising Sun" symbol on the Uncharted 2 buckle.

I was playing the game last night and I couldn't get a good look at it.

Boy, the more I look at that buckle the more I think it looks like the Uncharted 2 buckle. That "hand and fingers" might very well be the "Rising Sun" symbol on the Uncharted 2 buckle.

I was playing the game last night and I couldn't get a good look at it.

Could very well be the one from 2. If so, wonder why Bend Studios went with it instead of the one from UDF.

Great pictures and research! I now bought a ps vita to be able to play Golden Abyss too - the holster is for sure on my list...

Without access to the original character design, it seems we will have to live with some uncertainess with the engravings. I started with the modelling: I thinned the buckle significantly and removed my stupid "podest". I took the opportunity to rework the front in terms of symmetry and detailing. As suggested by synasp for the uncharted watch I will add an NDI Logo at the back side - it will be a lot of extra work but I think its worth the effort...

Don't be scared: Everything is still pretty rough. The buckle will hold belts up to 4 cm...

Hi, a few days ago I did some research because I was modelling an "Uncharted" buckle for Shapeways with a 3D software. I'm pretty sure the original buckle is based on this design...

b0768f5538.jpg

... Even the number of the dots on the border is the same. :)

I hope this is useful.

Michael

Hi, a few days ago I did some research because I was modelling an "Uncharted" buckle for Shapeways with a 3D software. I'm pretty sure the original buckle is based on this design...

b0768f5538.jpg

... Even the number of the dots on the border is the same. :)

I hope this is useful.

Michael

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

You found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I compared it with the best picture and the engravings are clearly the same!!!!!!!!!!! No doubts possible!!!!

This information is worth gold!!!:thumbsup

Will change my engraving design instantly. Also the shape of the buckle will be adopted...

THANKS A LOT for this info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best

The buckle is available at different places! Its a "coin" buckle and can be opened with two screws.

I think it makes no sense to remodel this buckle!! I will model only the "coin" with sun which can be then inserted...

Another piece of work to the bin. Well at least one can not be closer than the original...:rolleyes

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back