Uncharted 2 belt buckle

Found this online -

9id01.jpg

Seems to have the right amount of spheres around the edge of the buckle, along with the flat plain rim around the coin. Hard to tell if its brass or silver though.
The other bad news is that the site is not a belt buckle site....They sell coins. THis one coin happens to come with the coin buckle.

Im going to contact them and see if they can tell me their buckle supplier.

I guess the coloring and finishing question will be tough!!!!

I prepared the base for the modelling of the rising sun coin. Since everything has to fit precisely into the buckle I machined some parts as a fundament. I took the original screen shot as a base, so that the dimensions, proportions are exactly like in-game.

Can't wait to receive that buckle to proceed....

Hey Leatherworker, great job on the mockup of the rising sun coin.
I just noticed something which you might want to take into consideration.
On the original Uncharted buckle, in the negative area between the sun rays, it looks as though the texture of the metal is not smooth...It looks like it has a rough orange peal type texture. Not sure if you can do this with Shapeway, but I thought I would point it out.

DS

Hey Leatherworker, great job on the mockup of the rising sun coin.
I just noticed something which you might want to take into consideration.
On the original Uncharted buckle, in the negative area between the sun rays, it looks as though the texture of the metal is not smooth...It looks like it has a rough orange peal type texture. Not sure if you can do this with Shapeway, but I thought I would point it out.

DS

Hi,

I totally agree with the rough surface between the rays. In my prototype I realized this feature also. After metal casting, the metal has a rough texture. During grinding and polishing this is removed. Since the "deeper" areas are less accessible, they will stay more rough - at least if you do not treat them similar afterwards. Its one of the reasons why I do my metal stuff not with shapeways - one have more options with the finishing.

But I have not much experience with shapeways - maybe Dynamike will come up with a cool shapeway version, so we can compare both and see whats the better way to go.

Found this online -

9id01.jpg

Seems to have the right amount of spheres around the edge of the buckle, along with the flat plain rim around the coin. Hard to tell if its brass or silver though.
The other bad news is that the site is not a belt buckle site....They sell coins. THis one coin happens to come with the coin buckle.

Im going to contact them and see if they can tell me their buckle supplier.

Is that buckle actually "gold" or is it just the lighting? I've been looking at that pic and I'm thinking with the lighting and service it's laying on it could really be silver. :confused

I've been looking over some of the screencaps from the game. Even though the newly discovered belt buckle seems to be the correct base for Drakes buckle, I noticed that every image shows the rising sun being oval, rather than perfectly round.
This might suggest that the buckle may not be a "coin buckle" but a "stone buckle". Stone buckles are basically the same as the coin buckles but they are intended to house gem stones....many of which are oval shaped.

Last edited:
You are right, some of the pictures show an oval symbol. Artworks are often overpainted screenshots. The artist might changed some details during the retoush. I think it should be round but maybe this is just because I like it better that way. ;)
1769_0001.jpg

you need to look at screen shots that show the buckle on a full frontal view.
If the buckle is at an angle then foreshortening will distort the buckle and make it look round....like in your image.
The full frontal images ive seen the buckle is oval.

I'll recheck he scenes in the actual game.

Last edited:
The very first post of this thread does display the Rising Sun as an oval. However, playing the game, you'll notice that the buckle will distort and expand when you move, run, jump, etc. Because the buckle is attached at the hip, distortion is almost impossible to avoid. It's most obvious with the Doughnut Drake skin. You can see clearly the buckle expands considerably, stretching it into an exaggerated oval shape.

IMHO, I think it's a circle.

The very first post of this thread does display the Rising Sun as an oval. However, playing the game, you'll notice that the buckle will distort and expand when you move, run, jump, etc. Because the buckle is attached at the hip, distortion is almost impossible to avoid.

Yes, I know...The buckle would have a forshortened view when looked at from a high, low, or side angle... But from a straight front angle there should be very little distortion -

340x_custom_1255520241205_drake-03.jpg

So basically you have to ask yourself - If you're standing the same way that Drake is standing in this photo, will the buckle look round or oval?

BTW, if anyone's interested heres a vendor selling th Uncharted1 pirate skull buckle -
http://www.resourcerags.com/astro/bb_pirate.shtml

DS

Last edited:
Hm, I think you're right DS. It does look oval. That's what I drew too when I first started this thread.

It does look good as a circle too.

Dynamike - Would it be difficult to elongate the coin abit?

Last edited:
Hm, I think you're right DS. It does look oval. That's what I drew too when I first started this thread.

It does look good as a circle too.

Dynamike - Would it be difficult to elongate the coin abit?

Hi,

I might be wrong, but I am pretty convinced that the coin is round. Reasons:

1) It seems more than evident that the "marine corp buckle" picture was 1:1 used for the character design. If you overlay them (see picture - black lines are marine corps) nearly all highlights and prominent points are matching!

2) If the coin is oval it would only be possible by reducing its hight (this can be seen in the "stone bucke" picture from darth saber - otherwise a lot of the engravings to the left/right would be covered. Thus the distance between bezel and top/bottom outer border would be greater with an oval coin, which I could not observe.

3) Nathan is bend over in most of the images, so that the buckle is tilted - face to ground. In this angle I would expect a circle to appear oval.

I really love this discussion! I am pretty curious what will be the outcome...

Hey Kredepops, It's not a big deal for me whether it's a circle or an oval. Just tossing that out there for consideration. I'd be happy with either one.

Btw, I was looking around the net last night for the circle frame hat goes around the coin...it's very difficult to find one without those little spheres.

How difficult or costly would it be to just have the coin and frame made from a single priece of metal on Shapeways?

Hi, the frame has built-in bolt nuts, so I guess making the frame with shapeways might be a problem. This would require another way to fix it.
I already have one of this coin buckles. It's very shiny and glossy. This makes it look kind of cheap. More "made in china" than "made in usa". I don't think this will look great when it's stick together with shapeways-made parts. This is why I don't expect to make only coin and frame via shapeways. A whole buckle made with shapeways will be expensive but simply the best quality and style. Of course this is just my opinion.

I think Leatherworker is right. I don't believe the "Rising Sun" is oval at all. It appears oval at times because it's a graphic render on a wire frame. The buckle is not a separate piece on the model so it's going to bend and twist with it's waste like the rest of the clothing.

I think creating the coin with the frame as one piece and just attaching it to one of these buckles is a good idea. However, you'd want to make sure the finish matched the buckle or it's just not going to look right.

Hi, the frame has built-in bolt nuts, so I guess making the frame with shapeways might be a problem. This would require another way to fix it.
I already have one of this coin buckles. It's very shiny and glossy. This makes it look kind of cheap. More "made in china" than "made in usa". I don't think this will look great when it's stick together with shapeways-made parts. This is why I don't expect to make only coin and frame via shapeways. A whole buckle made with shapeways will be expensive but simply the best quality and style. Of course this is just my opinion.

You must have posted this while I was writing my post. LOL

Well, I guess the thing to do is make a prototype and see how "expensive" this would be? For me personally I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a belt buckle. I've seen buckles on the web that run $100 and above and that's just ridiculous.

You really don't need to add bolt nuts to the frame. All you needed to do is add a threaded hole for the screws....or you can just add holes and let the buyer add the threading.
Threading a hole takes no time at all.

I've already ordered one. Shapeways production cost is approximately $70 and I will add 10 bucks when I put it in the shop. I'll post some pictures so you can see if it's worth or not.

I was thinking something like this (I did this quick so please excuse the accuracy)
photo-1.jpg

This is a 3/4 view and and the cutaway with red lines indicate the holes for the screws.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back