Uncharted 2 belt buckle

Oh, one more thing, while looking online I've found the same buckle with smaller frames...seems to me the frames come in different sizes, smooth or with spheres.

Hi, I already have one of this buckles. The ring is fixed by two screws and can be removed. A "sunrise coin" with 39 mm diameter could be inserted easily. It seem there is a buckle with a ring without dots on the border. Leatherworker posted it. The sunrise coin could be created by him or (me) shapeways.com. The only thing I do not like... the coin wouldn't be the same material like the buckle but maybe it's not so bad.
Michael
dollar_buckle_01.jpg

So far I only found one source for this marine corp one, which in my eyes is the reference one. Really hope I am able to get one from germany!

I ordered one of the other ("ring with spheres") ones too. Hope that the spheres can be removed! One of us has to try:behave

When I have them, I am curious about the used material. Many buckles are done from zinc alloy pressure casting. This would be great for my plans, because I will use something pretty similar for the rising sun coin. It would then be easy to apply a brass layer electrochemically to mimic the proper in-game look. If its tin, I have one problem more...

Also looking forward seeing the final shapeways version! Looks pretty cool!

Do those buckles have a protective clear cover that goes over the coin when it's inserted into the frame or does the coin just lay in the buckle exposed with the circular frame holding it in?

The reason I'm asking this is because if it has a clear cover that protects the coin then a "cheap" alternative to making a coin would be to make a high res "Rising Sun" image in Photoshop and then print it out on photo paper. You could then glue it to a thicker stock of paper to reinforce the thickness of it and just place it in the buckle. No one would be any wiser that it wasn't a real coin in there.

Do those buckles have a protective clear cover that goes over the coin when it's inserted into the frame or does the coin just lay in the buckle exposed with the circular frame holding it in?

The reason I'm asking this is because if it has a clear cover that protects the coin then a "cheap" alternative to making a coin would be to make a high res "Rising Sun" image in Photoshop and then print it out on photo paper. You could then glue it to a thicker stock of paper to reinforce the thickness of it and just place it in the buckle. No one would be any wiser that it wasn't a real coin in there.

There are so many of these ones that I am really puzzled no one found them before!!! Many thanks again to Dynamike!

Has anyone found these with th correct number of spheres along the edges, in brass, and with a frame that has no spheres?

I suppose one could purchase another coin buckle that has the sphereless frame and simply take it off that buckle and put it on this one.

I haven't seen any in brass at all. Honestly, if you're going to end up buying multiple buckles just to have one correct buckle then the cheaper alternative would be to go with the one "Dynamike" made using Shapeways and just have him cast it in brass or something.

The more I think about the pictures the more I am convinced that the in-game buckle is silver with a gold bezel.

I was puzzled from the beginning why sometimes it appeared silver and sometimes gold. I found someone offering this one. You can see how the gold bezel reflects at the silver parts - making them slightly golden too.

Now I only have to get rid of these stupid spheres!

I don't think it's a two toned belt buckle. I think the buckle is all silver and that the lighting makes it look gold thanks to the sun's reflection off of it.

I guess the coloring and finishing question will be tough!!!!

I prepared the base for the modelling of the rising sun coin. Since everything has to fit precisely into the buckle I machined some parts as a fundament. I took the original screen shot as a base, so that the dimensions, proportions are exactly like in-game.

Can't wait to receive that buckle to proceed....

Looks like we're gonna have a few great options for this buckle! Michael, is your buckle up for sale on shapeways yet, or are you still tweaking the design?

I guess the coloring and finishing question will be tough!!!!

I prepared the base for the modelling of the rising sun coin. Since everything has to fit precisely into the buckle I machined some parts as a fundament. I took the original screen shot as a base, so that the dimensions, proportions are exactly like in-game.

Can't wait to receive that buckle to proceed....

(y)thumbsup

Nice job on the "Rising Sun" coin template. If this fits perfectly into the buckle can this or the design then be used on Shapeways to make actual metal coins or do you have to send in a digital 3D render in order for them to make your stuff?

Honestly, as far as the color goes you could go either way.....I'd offer Silver or Gold colors and then let people decide which way they wanted to go color wise.

I also wouldn't lose sleep over those little spheres on some of these buckles. If the coins are going to cost a certain amount and then you add the buckle cost on top of that you could end up paying $100 all of it and even IF I did have a ton of money I still wouldn't spent money like that for a buckle.

If the sphere's bug you enough then I'd say contact the site where you found the marine buckle and see if they ship overseas? :)

By the way I've found gold buckles like this without the coin for $6 on Ebay. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back