River Tam Objects in Space Costume- WIP

Wow - that is awesome. I am being commissioned to do a run of 50 pieces or so of this character, but in a different dress - think you can sew - or any one - can sew something on a mini-level??

I keep on seeing things that amaze me in terms of how dedicated and skilled fellow fans are. Not only do your outfits look great, you get the right attitude to capture River's various poses.

That's a great collection of River costumes! The Heist Dress and Battle Dress are excellent. Can't wait to see your current project, the hand painted material is going to blow people away when they see it.

Lol thanks! The heist dress is one I am mos proud of I just wish more people knew it. That one I originally didn't intend on making so accurate then infound the fabric for the underdress and kinda went nuts trying to get it right. I have an actual swatch of river's dress though and my fabric is totally different from it but it has the same look and was on sale. Overall that dress cost me something like $40 including the goggles which I'm pretty sure are the exact ones she wears. So needless to say I am quite proud of it. I canny wait to get my knew overlay finished for it though.

I agree that the heist dress is fantastic.
I always found River's clothes to be a mixed bag, fashion-wise.
The hand painted dress you are doing now is one of my favorites and I always thought the heist dress was neat.
The big finale Reaver-fight-dress is one of my least favorite designs, but your work in replicating it is super job.
(I'd never notice the different nail-head sizes; doubt anyone else will, either.)

If you ever get the desire to move into Inara's wardrobe, I'm sure you could pull that off, as well.

Lovely work all around, and I hope its a rewarding hobby for you, because you definitely have a talent for it!

Mike

I think you ate a bug :lol
great collection! well, considering that you put those nail heads on by hand, this flower print will be nothing :)
Keep up the great work!

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments! I've already run out of ink in my red fabric pens so I have to go get more before I can continue. I'm hoping to know alot of it out on an upcoming trip.

Not looking at making myself a River Tam costume, but definitely interested in the origins of the goggles....any hints/suggestions?

Not looking at making myself a River Tam costume, but definitely interested in the origins of the goggles....any hints/suggestions?

I got them a coue of years ago online at a German supply store. I'll have to check if I saved the link. They came in packs on 3 and were $30.

Nice work, I love when someone does multiple costumes of the same person.

This might defeat the handcraftedness, but there are a number of places that can take a image and print it on fabric, you could take a square of the design and repeat it for the full yardage, I know it's expensive but might be easier and less time consuming. Spoonflower.com is the one I have heard good things about (mainly price) but I have never used them yet.

Tommy

OK, I'm sifting through a bunch of Browncoat stuff online, including folks I know only from saying "hi" at events and such,
and I see a girl who looks like JJ9437 in a River "objects In Space" dress.
And lo-and-behold, it IS her and she finished the thing and never got back to this thread
to report on the completion of such an intricate and awesome project.

39234_855894014497_12634911_46244338_57416_n.jpg

She posted a number of images at her costume journal site

Jennifer's Costume Journal - Completed Costume: River Tam, Objects in Space

and I just can't express enough admiration for such diligence in creating something so unique.
(A hand painted dress...simply...WOW!)

Mike

Last edited:
If someone has not asked this already, would you mind telling me the brand on the label on the vest? I'm just curious. Thanks! You work is amazing!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back