Dollar Store Iron Man Arc Reactor Contest

Montagar

Legendary Member
Community Staff
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
jason1976 has stepped up to take over the contest. Here are the "new" details for the contest.

Email your entries to: jedimasterjpb7@aol.com

1. The dead line is the 25. I'm going to make it 12:01am WST. (I gave real though about pushing it back for to something like the 31st for my sake, since I'm coming to this so late, but that isn't fair to all of you, so it will stay the 25th.) However, voting may not start on the 26th. My Moms Bday is the 26, and I will be spend my free time with her, so pics will probably be posted on the 27th or 28th. (sorry, but got to be good to Mom. :) )

You can join the contest right up to the end. (so none of this, "is it to late for me to join", or "I would have joined but it's to late" business. You have right up to the dead line to join in, so please do so.)

$20. = 20 of any other currency. (there have been like a thousand post asking about this, even though it's ben answered over, and over again.) It's about having 20 cheep items, not about conversion rates. the max for each item is $3.00 The max is limit is $20. (or 20 pounds, etc, etc, etc,) This is excluding tax, shipping, etc.

Unless Darth comes bak, the helmet is off the table as a prize, but if anyone wants to donate anything, large or small, I will take offers through the end of the voting period.

If you post pictures of your entry in this thread, or any other, before the contest is over, I am going to disqualify you. (I'm sorry, but this is an anonymous contest, and posting pics in advance, or revealing withc one is your, is unfair for a number of reasons.)

You need to send me (or Darth if he comes back) your pictures via e-mail to jedimasterjpb7@aol.com, or by PM.

Since I've only received one entry so fair, I'm going to set the limit at 3 pics of your finished reactors. Along with pics of all receipt, and either a pic of all the parts before building, or some build pics. (the
receipts, and parts pics are for proof, they will not be posted in the voting thread, but they are required.)

If you send in more then 3 pics of your reactor, that is fine, but I will pic the 3 that get used. (I am a photographer by trade, so I know what I'm doing) If you send in less the 3 of your finished item I will post what you send in, but your are doing yourself a disservice.

I will allow collages, but I will not require them. (some folks don't even no how to post pics, I'm not going to ask them to edit them) However, there can be no more then three pics of your finished reactor in the collage, and the collage will count for as many pics are in it. (i.e. if there are 2 pics in your collage, you can still enter another single pic, if you have 3 pics in your collage, then your done. except of course for your "proof" pics.)

Those are the main things I can think of right now, but feel free to ask any questions, I am here to help.

On, a side not, their have been a lot of folks saying they can't find anything at the store to work with. No offence, but that shouldn't be a problem. These aren't Prop, or even hardware stores, they are dollar stores. You can't expect to go in and buy exactly what you want. it's about MacGyver build! :) I find it helps if you don't draw up your plans in advance, just go and let the parts talk to you. The guy that won the LS contest, made an amazing saber, the blew peoples mind. Then after the contest was over we all found out that it was made of placematts, cardboard tubes, Pens, and other things, you would have never guest it was made of in the end. I kept hoping some one would do a chocolate saber, but no-one did. (maybe they will in this years contest. :) ) I know it's a little late for a pep talk, but i just thought I should put it out there.

Feel free to start sending your entries any time.

Oh, and once again, Darth, I hope you, and your Dad are Ok, and feel free to come back any time, I'm just keeping yoru seat worm. :).

Last edited:
I thought it might be fun to do an Ironman Arc Reactor Contest with only items purchased from the Dollar store. (I think there was a similar contest for custom lightsabers)

The rules are pretty simple.

1. Make an Arc Reactor that is as accurate as possible. (Whichever model you prefer, from either the 1st or 2nd movie.) OR option B) Build a Custom Arc Reactor with the design of your choice.

2. Use only parts bought at a Dollar store. (Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, etc.) or if you live somewhere without dollar stores try to buy things from a grocery store or thrift store. You will be required to post pictures of your receipts from the dollar store or where you purchased your parts.

3. You can spend a maximum of $20.00 (USD) (Just to clarify, Glue and paint can be used from what you already owned or purchased without counting towards your $20.00) No individual item you purchase from the dollar store can exceed $3.00. This is to keep the dollar store theme in check. Nowadays Dollar stores carry some rather expensive things. The entire point of this contest is to challenge people to work with limited materials that are far from ideal.

4. With your entry you must include the following, Picture of your receipts, Picture of all your materials before construction, Pictures of the finished product.

5. After all entries have been submitted, they would be posted in this thread and opened to voting for a set amount of time.

6. Voting will work as follows; Each voter gets 3 votes, 1 vote for "Most movie accurate", 1 vote for "Best Overall", and 1 vote for "Best Custom Design".

7. If you would like, you are allowed to enter 2 reactors. 1 reactor in the custom category and 1 reactor in the movie accurate category. If you win in multiple categories though, you will only receive prizes for 1 category and your other prizes will be forfeited to the runners up.

8. Contest will be opened starting now and ending July 25th. Closer to the end of the contest I will make a separate voting thread where entries will be posted.

There will be prizes for each of the 3 winners in each category.

Contestants
1.Ryu Kumon
2.Mac Mantis
3.Tadowski
4.fuelish
5.TallDarkandDisfigured
6.Prototype7
7.TheNickFox
8.PirateDude
9.Darthcalibar
10.Wildabeast
11.CMANavy
12.NakedMoleRat
13.rnbuda
14.Jodo
15.Mark 2
16.Gunnerk19
17.Propalooz
18.Knightjar
19.Drago Lordist
20.Ikariya
21.contec
22.Aaron Lee
23.LilMunki
24.TK-1085
25.Shylaah
26.Cocomando
27.Soulinertia
28.JESUSFREAKXTRM
29.UltimateGBfan
30.Kursosawa
31.Grundy
32.Alpha D Unit
33.Luke
34.Raffles
35.fotokid
36.KalashnikovKid
37.RobTFirefly
38.Reverend Scapegoat
39.jaymay023
40.JohnConstantine
41.fabrik
42.jwm96
43.TK5455
44.OneGoodScare
45.PrinceNeo
46.Tempus
47.Neon Sentry
48.Digital Nomad
49.MaxPlague
50.Steveng
51.RA24_4_Me
52.Jedifyfe
53.Copper
54.Jwhite
55.Pagliacci

If you want your name added or removed let me know!

PS:If anyone would like to donate prizes shoot me a PM.

Jedifyfe said:
I will donate an entire set of my Iron Man paper props:

Newspaper
Rollingstone cover
Forbes cover
Wired cover
Newsweek cover

MacMantis is donating 2 of his Dalek 'To Victory' Poster replicas as prizes.

Orange_Blend said:
Hey,

Not sure if you're interested as it's not Iron Man related but I'd be happy to donate 2 copies of my Raiders of the Lost Ark Bible Page as a prize for your contest, one aged and one "fresh".

Here's a pic of them:
4119370588_484549e276.jpg
Here is what I am donating as a prize, 1 raw cast of my Ironman helmet. It is far from accurate in a lot of ways, (I intend on having another go at it eventually) but I figure someone could have some fun with it.

4721_1181657624165_1309936649_496365_1839277_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a pretty cool idea. I'd be up for it depending on how long of a time frame we are given.

Ok off to gather references.

Ryu

As long as we in the UK can go pound store rather than dollar store... Sure. I like this idea and oddly I think I'd find it a lot easier than the dollar store lightsaber which I failed to get off the starting line with.

I'm in!

so, just to be clear, you're looking for movie replicas right? Not our own designs but to get as close as possible to the movie version?
I'd almost like to try this but on the custom side of things.

ya it sounds like movie replica is what he is talking about. Sounds like fun, the $ store always has a ton of stuff that can be used for props.

I'd much rather we don't have to go for movie accurate. It would be much more interesting to see how each person interprets the same device. Someone might have a clean, modern one, someone else might have a steampunkish one, someone else might come up with something no one else thought of.

If we're allowed that level of creativity, I'm down!

-Nick

Well I think everyone should vote for movie accuracy or custom design. If enough people are interested in custom and movie accurate we could even have the contest set up like this, each voter can vote 3 times.

1. Best overall.
2. Most Movie Accurate
3. Best Custom Design.

Anyone opposed to this or should it remain only one winner overall?

I'd be in for a custom designed one. Even if this contest goes with movie accurate I'll probably make a custom one just for fun. Haven't scratch built anything before!

The three-way win could be a really interesting way of doing this. It would make sure that no matter what someone's style was that they could still be involved.

I'll most likely be making my own design, but would love to have this contest be as open as possible.

-Nick

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back