apollo space mission replicas

Architect

I know this is not a movie based prop or replica but I am wondering if anyone has made replicas of real space used items like the lunar sample containers. such as this one.

artifacts_pad_lrlcan-lg.jpg

any other real world items from space missions that have been replicated I am interested in as well.

An interesting idea... certainly a lot of "training equipment" was made for NASA at the time, and some of that has come up at auction I think.

Also in the 1990s the move "Apollo 13" and HBO series "From the Earth to the Moon" utilized a lot of replica space hardware.

Interesting topic. I was a camera guy on "From the Earth to the Moon". We did use a lot of replica stuff but the best original thing we used was the lunar lander that was scheduled to be used for Apollo 18. The Smithsonian let us borrow it for shooting on the moon set. It was an honor to work on the show and get to climb up into the "LEM" as it's known.

I took some pics on the set and inside the LEM, if you guys are interested, I'll post some here. I was given a few prop pieces from the show after we wrapped but nothing like serious hardware.

Interesting topic. I was a camera guy on "From the Earth to the Moon". We did use a lot of replica stuff but the best original thing we used was the lunar lander that was scheduled to be used for Apollo 18. The Smithsonian let us borrow it for shooting on the moon set. It was an honor to work on the show and get to climb up into the "LEM" as it's known.

I took some pics on the set and inside the LEM, if you guys are interested, I'll post some here. I was given a few prop pieces from the show after we wrapped but nothing like serious hardware.

I would love to see the pics you have.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

I'd like to ask Architect's permission to post any pics on his thread. I don't want to hijack...I could post some of the replicas too to keep it relevant.
B.

I too would love to see anything you got! :D

Anyway, even if the frame was built by Grumman, the LM wasn't actually used and would have been fitted out for filming purposes, so it counts as a "replica" in my book. Just a really accurate one. ;)

k

The LM (NASA stopped using LEM early on) used in FTETTM was actually from the Cradle of Aviation museum in Long Island NY. It was a nearly complete LM (only missing some smaller bits) and as Panaflex pointed out, was intended to fly on the Apollo 18 mission. It was not "fitted out" for filming as they could not modify the LM per the deal with the museum, So it was not a replica, it was the real deal. As I understand, the production company rented it for enough money in order for the museum team to be able to completely restore it. The interior shots where done mostly with a seperate interior mock up. A real training unit if I am not mistaken.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back