Iron Man Mark IV (In progress) Update 6/22/10, Post #12

Shade

EDIT: SEE POST #10 FOR UPDATES. IGNORE ANYTHING PRIOR

Hey everyone. I'm new to rpf and I just thought I'd show you guys my progress with my first REAL attempt at buliding armor. Every attempt prior to this either ended in failure or I gave up on because it was just too boring. This time I'm happy to say I plan on finishing the suit in its entireity. I'm currently working on the Mark III Ironman Armor:)

And a thanks to sharkhead7854(designer) and dubean(unfolded the pep file and whose account is on the 405th union) for the pep file for the helm. Please mind this helmet is a work in progress and constructive criticism will be taken into account.

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man Mark III (In progress)

How original! lol j/k its cool to see everyone making ironman armor. cant wait to see it completed. I dont think Ive seen a finished pep ironman yet.

Looks like a good start, nice folds. :thumbsup
Just a work of experience, make sure and stay focused and you'll get it done. :) Mines all peped, not finished though to busy with everyone elses stuff. :confused:lol

How original! lol j/k its cool to see everyone making ironman armor. cant wait to see it completed. I dont think Ive seen a finished pep ironman yet.

Just wait mine will be soon enough. ;)

Hehe Allot of Ironman building going on latly. We are a bunch of people over 120 members in one week on the Ironman Buildersboard. Getting allot of intresting content all in one place. Great resource sight.

www.siwdat.com

Can you send me the template for the helm as well man I am new to this site also and to making these armors so I was wondering if you could help me out.

EDIT: Sorry to bumb my post but it would be ridiculous to start a new thread everytime I need to make an update. Sorry I haven't put up any new pics. I only got the top of the helmet done over the weekend and I've been busy all week with schoolwork not to mention I was sick Wednesday. I hope to have new pics up by Sunday at the latest so check my profile and find my thread for updates if you miss them. Pepin like crazy right now to get this helmet finished. Helps if you guys PM me and pester me about it cuz if you keep pestering me I'll work faster so pester me as much as possible. Thanks Guys!

Slacker
13attitude.jpg

:lol

Alright guys, it's a day later than I said and a week later than I expected but the helmet is fully pepped. Keep in mind that this is sharkhead7854's most recent file, as unfolded by DuBean33, so the faceplate is a totally seperate piece from the rest of the helmet which is why it doesn't look perfect. I'm gonna add some support pieces to pull the faceplate closer together in one spot, the helmet clser together in one spot, and the piece at the top of the helmet lower so it fits together snuggly. The next update will be after I resin it which won't be for a few weeks cuz' I'm broke:cry. Once I get the money, and I only need 15 or 20 bucks, I'll pick up some fiberglass resin and get crackin. I'm putting a warning in here now for those who have never resined before and are intending to. RESIN IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS ONCE THE HARDENER IS ADDED. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN HANDLING AND DO NOT DIRECTLY INHALE FUMES! Okay now that the disclamer is out of the way, enjoy my pepped picks!

Front
DSCI0605.jpg

Right Front
DSCI0604.jpg

Left Front
DSCI0608-1.jpg

Back
DSCI0607-1.jpg

Side
DSCI0606.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Re: Iron Man Mark III (In progress) Update 5/30/10, Post #10

Alright guys, I haven't done much since my last post. It's just not easy pepping and I'm low on ink and I need more Cardstock before I start cuz I think doing the upper body is gonna take a ton. I'm using Dancin_Fools pep for most of the suit. Just the front part of the chest is 20 some odd pages:eek & I haven't started yet.. Hopefully I can get some cardstock and ink for the printer and how convenient its summer:), I'll be able to pep without interruption so I'm gonna try my hardest to do what I can these next 12 weeks (Summer doesn't start for another 2 weeks:angry) and I'm gonna finish this suit. Until then, enjoy a couple of pics of my helmet with the faceplate attached, still unresined.

Front
DSCI0615.jpg

Angle
DSCI0616.jpg

Wish me luck guys.
Oh BTW I did use tape before you ask. Its really visible in these cuz I used the flash.

Re: Iron Man Mark III (In progress) Update 6/22/10, Post #12

Phew, okay, update time. Been 23 days since but now I'm out school things are gonna be moving much faster. My friend Kenny is plannin on gettin some cash so we can do both his Arbiter suit and My Ironman suit. We're splitting the cost of everything so neither of us has to spend too much of our own cash on something we won't use all of. Anyhow, this past Saturday, I had my friend Kenny resin my helmet for me since it was my first time resining something and when I smelled that **** I was like, "Okay, waaay worse than gasoline" I'll get over it and do myself next time, but that was just overwhelming. As soon as we get some cash, we gonna pick up some more hardener, since we used what was left in the 1/2 cup of resin that covered the helmet, and give it a second coat before we use casting resin because its a little flimsy still. Let me know how it came out, It was a first real pep and I used tape to boot so it's not perfect but it's a helmet none the less.
Enjoy the pics! And I apologize for some of the pics being sideways. They weren't supposed to be but Photobucket screwed up.

Face
DSCI0115.jpg

Side
DSCI0116.jpg

Back
DSCI0118.jpg

Helmet & Face (seperate)
DSCI0117.jpg

Mask (On my face)
DSCI0119.jpg

Oh and on some fairly good news, I recently learned the helmet, small as it is, will actually fit me. Hopefully, it'll have enough room for at least a little padding. Oh well, enjoy! Oh and I know I'm wearing it wrong, it was just a test, since it looked small, to see if it would fit cuz its Sharkhead's model and the back has to be cut and hinged to be worn. LOL:lol

Test Fit
DSCI0120.jpg

Please comment! Constructive criticism is welcome!

Phew, okay, update time. Been 23 days since but now I'm out school things are gonna be moving much faster. My friend Kenny is plannin on gettin some cash so we can do both his Arbiter suit and My Ironman suit. We're splitting the cost of everything so neither of us has to spend too much of our own cash on something we won't use all of. Anyhow, this past Saturday, I had my friend Kenny resin my helmet for me since it was my first time resining something and when I smelled that **** I was like, "Okay, waaay worse than gasoline" I'll get over it and do myself next time, but that was just overwhelming. As soon as we get some cash, we gonna pick up some more hardener, since we used what was left in the 1/2 cup of resin that covered the helmet, and give it a second coat before we use casting resin because its a little flimsy still. Let me know how it came out, It was a first real pep and I used tape to boot so it's not perfect but it's a helmet none the less.
Enjoy the pics! And I apologize for some of the pics being sideways. They weren't supposed to be but Photobucket screwed up.

Oh and on some fairly good news, I recently learned the helmet, small as it is, will actually fit me. Hopefully, it'll have enough room for at least a little padding. Oh well, enjoy! Oh and I know I'm wearing it wrong, it was just a test, since it looked small, to see if it would fit cuz its Sharkhead's model and the back has to be cut and hinged to be worn. LOL:lol

Test Fit

Please comment! Constructive criticism is welcome!

it looks like its coming along great so far.:thumbsup the resin most likely wont stick very well to the tape on the inside. i would suggest getting that second coat on the outside then carefully trying to remove the tape on the inside before resining and fiberglassing that part. that way the resin soaks into the paper better around those tabs and parts that are joined together. also yes the smell of the resin is pretty bad i would suggest using some sorta respirator when using it cause it will tear up your lungs, pretty toxic stuff it is.:)

looks great so far! cant wait to see more!:)

Strong start! Think your hair will be problem down the line?

Yeah, I plan on getting it cut and I'm trying to shave more often so I can grow my facial hair to look like Tony Stark's. What I wouldn't give to borrow Zendragon's.

it looks like its coming along great so far.:thumbsup the resin most likely wont stick very well to the tape on the inside. i would suggest getting that second coat on the outside then carefully trying to remove the tape on the inside before resining and fiberglassing that part. that way the resin soaks into the paper better around those tabs and parts that are joined together. also yes the smell of the resin is pretty bad i would suggest using some sorta respirator when using it cause it will tear up your lungs, pretty toxic stuff it is.:)

looks great so far! cant wait to see more!:)

I would I just don't have one. And there was plenty of tape on the outside and it worked for what it needed to. Though I agree with putting it on the outside for the faceplate. I swear theres not an inch of exposed paper on the inside of the faceplate. And not wearing or even owning a respirator is what I get for being friends with lunatics who don't use them and claim "Its harmless in the small amounts like when your doing armor pieces." Anyway, Thanks for the help. Hopin to get more hardener soon. And you guys should have seen what we did to my friends arbiter helmet. It was completely resined and partially fiberglassed, but he left it outside in the South Florida heat! It warped where there was no fiberglass so we decided to take a hammer to it and find out just how tough fiberglass really is. Turns out pretty tough, didn't stop us from demolishing it though:lol!
I wish I'd taken pictures damn it.

Yeah, I plan on getting it cut and I'm trying to shave more often so I can grow my facial hair to look like Tony Stark's.

What I wouldn't give to borrow Zendragon's.

"Borrow"? WoW! Can't wait for that update!:cool

"Borrow"? WoW! Can't wait for that update!:cool
Yeah neither can I. So far the only thing that seems to grow is my mustache and soul patch but my chin is getting there and as for my cheeks... Lets just say it'll be awhile.:lol

Im doing that same pep file and im at about the same stage. i realized halfway through the project that theres another trapezoid shaped indent on the back of the real helmet thats missing on this one, but who cares, it still looks good.

the way i see it there are several versions of Iron Man suits. so why not go nuts and put your own spin on it ^_^

its looking great shade! keep it up

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back