Foam Pipboy 3000 (from Fallout) Tutorial

194304ss_sm2.jpg

I wanted to be different :).

I should just be buying sheets of foam that are 9x12 to use for the base, right?

Thanks !
I love to see your progress - come and post it here if you want to, or post a link to a new thread you'd start to show off your pip-boy.

@ Faeelin: Yeah, 9"x12" is OK... whatever is cheaper for you (if you can find larger cheaper sheets in your area).

Thanks. I wasn't sure how much foam I should buy, but it doesn't seem that expensive so I guess it's better to buy too much than not enough.

Love it! This is a great piece, love the tutorial, and this gives me some inspiration for building gauntlets for a costume I'm working on.

Hey, what can I use besides flexbond? I can't seem to find it at craft stores near me.

Yeah - Flexbond is usually hard to find. Have a look at the website of the company that's making Flexbond - the company is Rosco - maybe they have a distributor near you that you didn't think to check.

As a cheap alternative you can use watered-down white glue. I've never used it before, but I've seen a couple of craft foam armor tutorial proposing this as a sealer. In my opinion the raio should not be greater than 1:1 - I 'd start with just white glue and add water a little bit at a time until you get a texture that will still be "thick" but that you'll have an easier time applying to your foam.

Another thing I've seen suggested is Mod Podge - again I've never tried it because there is some mixed information on if mod podge is flexible enough on foam (some people are saying that it cracks when the foam flexes).

Regardless of what you end up using - report back on your result. It might interest others that are working on foam projects.

@MiraxH: Thanks ! I'm glad this can help you a bit on your project.

Last edited:
Okay, I have tried a glue mix and i think it will work well. It's a bit sticky (which makes it difficult when trying; it has a tendency to get stuck to things), but after 4 coats I think it is good to go.

I'm going to try Krylon's metallic spray paint. I don't know if it's acryllic or not, but it says it's usable on plastic, paper mache, and wicker, so hopefully it will work.

It looks really nice for a first try Faeelin - my only suggestion: make the arrows a bit smaller.

For the glue mix... make sure it's not too "thick" - because you don't want to lose too many details. For the paint, Krylon is a very good choice, that's exactly what I use as well.

It looks really nice for a first try Faeelin - my only suggestion: make the arrows a bit smaller.

For the glue mix... make sure it's not too "thick" - because you don't want to lose too many details. For the paint, Krylon is a very good choice, that's exactly what I use as well.

Thanks for the kind words. I think I might have gone about it all wrong; I decided to try to make the pimp boy from fallout new vegas, and I came across a latex spray paint that Kryllon makes that works on foam.

After spraying it, something occurred to me. That would work fine as a sealant, so why did I use the glue? It didn't occur to me before hand, so ah well.

And secondly, it's a bit too yellow. Ah well. I will try their gold paint on top of these two layers; hopefully it will work without eating the foam, but this was actually pretty easy to put together if I want to try again.

181907_649500004869_24800227_36643430_6621125_n.jpg

I began working on my foam pipboy yesterday, I've got the the whole thing craved out but now I'm toying with all the ideas of details to put into it. Does anyone have any idea where some people get the meters for the top left area? Sam, when would you recommend installing the wires for the LEDs, prior to sealing or afterward (I figured this would make the sealant crack). Thanks so much for the templates they were awesome!!

A lot of crafts stores will sell jewelry like things that are worth perusing; you can get a watch thing for about $10.

Here's what mine looks like with the vault costume I made. Not too shabby, and I want to thank you, Fullmetal, for uploading this.

201103021026382231.jpg

Edit: One thing to add. Kryllon makes a metallic spray paint that actually seems to work pretty well on craft foam without bonding. I tried it for the bracer and it works pretty well.

Last edited:
A lot of crafts stores will sell jewelry like things that are worth perusing; you can get a watch thing for about $10.

Here's what mine looks like with the vault costume I made. Not too shabby, and I want to thank you, Fullmetal, for uploading this.

One thing to add. Kryllon makes a metallic spray paint that actually seems to work pretty well on craft foam without bonding. I tried it for the bracer and it works pretty well.

Thanks Faeelin! I'll have to check around my local craft store and see what I can find. I dig the pimpboy haha I was actually going to try to prime with mod podge, so I'll be sure to report how it turns out. Do you plan to add LEDs (for the plate buttons) to yours, Faeelin?

I began working on my foam pipboy yesterday, I've got the the whole thing craved out but now I'm toying with all the ideas of details to put into it. Does anyone have any idea where some people get the meters for the top left area? Sam, when would you recommend installing the wires for the LEDs, prior to sealing or afterward (I figured this would make the sealant crack). Thanks so much for the templates they were awesome!!

It's nice to see people taking this project on :)
As for when to install the wires/LED/electronics - I'd say before sealing and then painting. On every project I've worked, those 2 steps were always the last one. In some case, it's better to remove the electronics while you're painting the parts - but at least you know where they are going.

However, I wouldn't worry too much on the sealant even if you want to do it after sealing or painting. Depending on what you're using, the sealing should be able to take it - but then, I find it "safer" to do it before.

Faeelin - can't wait to see how yours turned out, I'll have to wait when I get home tonight (office websense blocks images)

It's nice to see people taking this project on :)
As for when to install the wires/LED/electronics - I'd say before sealing and then painting. On every project I've worked, those 2 steps were always the last one. In some case, it's better to remove the electronics while you're painting the parts - but at least you know where they are going.

However, I wouldn't worry too much on the sealant even if you want to do it after sealing or painting. Depending on what you're using, the sealing should be able to take it - but then, I find it "safer" to do it before.

Faeelin - can't wait to see how yours turned out, I'll have to wait when I get home tonight (office websense blocks images)

Just got back from Radio Shack, didn't know how much LED stuff they actually carry, I think I've got everything I need, but I would like to get a 9V Battery Holder with a switch attached (possibly a web purchase). The guy at the store asked what I needed the LEDs for and I told him I was making a prop Pipboy, and the he was like "Right on, I love Fallout". I'll be sure to take some photos of the work so far. Thanks guy for the assistance!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back