Building the Hoth Wampa door set ... in a nutshell

Man - that is cool.

You have to be able to market your talent. Something like this in an entertainment room or kids room.

In the old days before this economic meltdown, i would want to hire you. Love it.

I think the interior of the Falcon should be your next challenge!

So unbelievable cool...
with the ESB anniversary, there's gonna be a lot of "empire" props out there, can't wait for it to happen

I gonna love meeting you guys at Celebration V...

the belgian garisson are bringing their props overseas to Celabration V
and I hope we could exchange a lot of propworking ideas and such...
please, hop over to our props and introduce yourselves, I cannot wait to meet you guys

wouldn't it be great if CV organisation would make some sort of groups of props that resembles an part of the movie

the Belgians are coming with:
the snowspeeder, The Endor Bunker, The outrider chess corner
and a all new huge (and I mean Huge) prop (I can not name it, It's gonna be a hell of a suprise for you guys) and a lots more....

Sorry if I kinda hijacked your topic, but when I saw your "hoth base corridor" I went nuts...
once again , I cannot wait to meet you , guys

cheers, Clint

So unbelievable cool...
with the ESB anniversary, there's gonna be a lot of "empire" props out there, can't wait for it to happen

I gonna love meeting you guys at Celebration V...

the belgian garisson are bringing their props overseas to Celabration V
and I hope we could exchange a lot of propworking ideas and such...
please, hop over to our props and introduce yourselves, I cannot wait to meet you guys

wouldn't it be great if CV organisation would make some sort of groups of props that resembles an part of the movie

the Belgians are coming with:
the snowspeeder, The Endor Bunker, The outrider chess corner
and a all new huge (and I mean Huge) prop (I can not name it, It's gonna be a hell of a suprise for you guys) and a lots more....

Sorry if I kinda hijacked your topic, but when I saw your "hoth base corridor" I went nuts...
once again , I cannot wait to meet you , guys

cheers, Clint

Is LFL helping you guys get your stuff over here?

I was very impressed to see this in person. Absolutely perfect detail even with close inspection. The aspect that thrills me is how the lighting makes a properly-framed photo look exactly like it was shot in an ice cave! Great job!

This was at Starfest?

Cool to see Awesome stuff is being built in Colorado.

This is exactly what I was looking for, a picture tutorial on how to build a cave like setting (trying to convince the wife to let me turn the office into a reproduction of the comic batcave). If you don't mind me asking, what was the material cost?

Thanks everyone for the compliments!!! I appreciate it as do the folks who helped me. Now spread our name around so we can get some work and buy some food ;) hehe.. www.farawaycreations.com I hope to have a facebook page up just for our little F/X company soon.

fantastic set guys! Ton of work but the final result is just superb. Some of your pics look like they were taken on the set of ESB! (well, not the ones with the Marshmallow Man, LOL)

Awesome work :)

best,
Tom

Thanks Tom!!! I actually tried contacting Richard prior to starting the project but my email probably went to his spam folder ;) We bought some of the supplies from the same place he has bought some stuff and I saw his mug on their site.

What was going on in the construction pictures with the torch above the door? What was needed to heat up that much?

The torch just smoothed out the surface and got rid of some of the "human" carving idiosyncrasies. It also gave it a little bit of a hard shell to start with. A heat gun does the same thing. It makes it shrink a lot so be careful.

That's fantastic! What is the blue sealing material you used on the foam if you don't mind me asking? How thoroughly does it close the pours of the foam?

See previous question :) The foam just turned darker blue with the torch.

Now, what the heck are you gonna do with it, when you're done showing it around? Striking that set would be like stabbing yourself in the heart...

Not sure. The Air and Space Museum in Denver was going to store it. It's where LFL's X-wing is but now they say they don't want it. Maybe we'll end up selling it if the right buyer comes along ;)

Man - that is cool.

You have to be able to market your talent. Something like this in an entertainment room or kids room.

Ah man... tell me about it. We are wondering how we're going to keep the lights on and what we're going to eat most of the time. It's been a huge leap of faith trying to do this stuff. I hope I don't burn out before I make that "right" connection.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the material cost?

It was quite a lot actually!! With every passing day I felt like I needed yet another $500 .... another $500 ... and on and on. If I could collect for the labor involved that adds a bunch.

WOW this is awesome!!!!! what foam did you use and where is it sold? If you don't mind me asking.

Blue EPS foam. You can get it at Lowes or most lumber yards.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!!! I appreciate it as do the folks who helped me. Now spread our name around so we can get some work and buy some food ;) hehe.. www.farawaycreations.com I hope to have a facebook page up just for our little F/X company soon.

not sure how much it will help but I can post a link on my site in the links page. you have a banner? if you want to see my site just PM me. I know some people want to know where such representation would be going so as not to be associated with something dire.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back