I finally know why The Doctor is so popular

neoprime

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I can't believe what I've been missing. I decided to see what the fuss was and watch an episode, now I'm hooked.

I haven't seen any of the older stuff but the 2005 series is fun. Now I just have to catch up on all the previous seasons, but man I'm enjoying this show. Karen Gillan isn't so bad either.

So where do I get myself a sonic screwdriver and a tardis?

Congrats, Matt Smith is your Doctor. :)

There's a saying that the first doctor you're exposed to will be your favorite. I was first exposed to Eccleston but I haven't decided if he is still my fave or of Tennant usurped that throne. Gotta say, of all the companions, Amy Pond has completely stolen my heart.

Some of the best writing when it comes to sci-fi televison. Moffet is a wizard when it comes to stuff like Silence in the Library, Blink, Girl in the Fireplace and Empty Child. I'm personally glad to see RTD take his leave, he was good at set up but his 3rd acts were terrible. I just watched the latest episode last night and can't wait for next week. I never thought I'd be a fan but now I actually find myself wondering what day it is - waiting for the next episode.

I had no idea there was more than one doctor. I just started season one and was like umm, who's this guy? Hopefully it won't be so bad since I do like Matt Smith. I hope I get to see what these daleks are, I've seen props of them but never understood what the big deal was. I get the screwdriver now, want! but those daleks still baffle me.

I just love how reboot proof this franchise is. I got into it with the 9th Doctor and I was quite happy to learn that this was in fact a continuation of every Doctor Who that came before it. I love getting into shows that have a long history behind them.

I've been a fan since the late 70's, whenever the local PBS station by me started running the show. I caught it by accident since it was on after 3,2,1 Contact. I started watching with Robot and have been a fan ever since. Though "my" Doctor has changed over time. I was, of course a big Baker fan, but then I loved Davison. I think Tennent has now become my favorite. There are many, many years of Who for you to watch. Though I wonder if the people brand new to Who will like the old series, as the new show has a more adult slant than the past.

Yep - this man
tom-baker-thinking.jpg
will always be the one true doctor to me and countless others, that said, i really like Tennent, Eccelstone and now Matt Smith - I'm here to stay.

Technically I saw 3 minutes of Tennant first before I started watching Eccleston's season, so I don't know which one counts as my first Doctor. Tennant is definitely my favorite, though. Followed by Tom Baker, Eccleston, and Smith. I haven't seen enough of the other guys to fairly rank them yet. Baker gets bonus points because he was so awesome despite the comparatively poor quality of the show back in the day.

I've been a fan since the late 70's, whenever the local PBS station by me started running the show. I caught it by accident since it was on after 3,2,1 Contact. I started watching with Robot and have been a fan ever since. Though "my" Doctor has changed over time. I was, of course a big Baker fan, but then I loved Davison. I think Tennent has now become my favorite. There are many, many years of Who for you to watch. Though I wonder if the people brand new to Who will like the old series, as the new show has a more adult slant than the past.

That is exactly when I saw it, right after 3,2,1 contact :lol. The first episode I caught was the sun makers.

Doctor Who is awesome... My favourite Doctors in order are:

Tennant, Eccleston, Troughton, T. Baker, Davison, McCoy, C. Baker, Hartnell, McGann, Pertwee

I don't have a hate on for Jon Pertwee, I think we just got off on the wrong foot with all that "trapped on Earth" crap. :lol

Technically my first Doctor was Davison but I never really got into the series until Eccleston in 2005 so I generally consider him to be my first.

You're in the running behind our very own Manofsteel25 (Bob) who ownes every epsiode, audio book and most of the specials - he also just flew from California to England just to meet Tom Baker

8992794_c2e6b60a06_b.jpg

Jelly Baby
8992806_8ba17e70d1_b.jpg

That's McGann next to Baker and some of the companions by Bobby
8992799_b29ba5f074_b.jpg

Tom Baker was the best Dr.. My dad owns every episode whether it's DVD or one's that you can't get on DVD, which he has taped on video from 20 years + ago..

I've seen almost all the episodes that have been released stateside on DVD (they just came out with a few more -- the Twin Dilemma, and some from the Pertwee era).

Personally, although Eccelston was my first Doctor, I wouldn't say he's my favorite. I actually appreciate ALL of the Doctors for different reasons, and enjoy all of the eras of the show (although not every episode). I will say that I think the lowest points in the series were with Colin Baker and Paul McGann, although that's more down to what could have been and ineffective writing.

With Colin Baker, they never really progressed his Doctor effectively, although I gather there was, at one point, a sense that they were going to do so. He'd start off as irascible and obnoxious, and gradually soften into something more heroic. Instead, what we got was he and Peri endlessly bickering. That said, there are still some good episodes and interesting concepts during that era.

With Paul McGann...well...what can you say? He never had a chance. I wish they'd reveal more about the Time War, though, and show the 8th Doctor's participation in it.

Anyway, I still haven't watched any of Smith's stuff yet, but I'm looking forward to it. As soon as I get through Seasons 2-4 of Tennant and watch the specials...

Anyway, I still haven't watched any of Smith's stuff yet, but I'm looking forward to it. As soon as I get through Seasons 2-4 of Tennant and watch the specials...

For me the jury is still out on Smith for now. He's not bad but he hasn't wowed me yet, I look forward to the episode where he does. :D

McGann has done a lot of audio shows as the 8th Doctor. I wonder if some of those cover the war?

With Paul McGann...well...what can you say? He never had a chance. I wish they'd reveal more about the Time War, though, and show the 8th Doctor's participation in it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back