Kick-Ass HIT GIRL Costume

I'm taking my daughter to Connecticon this weekend and we decided the long staff was too cumbersome for a crowded con, so I'm throwing together the gun harness from the finale`. I just whipped up the yellow grenade and I thought I'd share:

binkgw.jpg
Not a great shot. I used:

One of those musical plastic eggs you shake
Hardware for hanging old fashion blinds
A Screw
a Keychain ring
Avery adhesive label paper
Craft wire

Its not exact, but its pretty close. Better hardware for the top might come from an adjustable tripod or the top of a mini mag-lite.

Now on to the harness!

nice grenade professor

Instead of using the Avery adhesive label paper which will fall apart and get damaged easily. Use something like the White strapping used on boxes. Its made of nylon/plastic.

Note: if you need to put a hole in it use a hole punch. to stop end egdes from fraying pass them quickly through a small flame.

I am also planning on making a Hit Girl costume, but I'll be wearing mine! I'm probably not too much taller or older than Chloe Moretz. She's like 13-14 (I'm 16)?
Anyways, this is what I was planning (and thanks for all of the links and names of all the crap she was wearing! I would have never been able to find the items otherwise.):
For the body-piece, a metallic purple large, loose zentai (full body spandex suit)
many found on eBay for less than 35 dollars. I was gonna cut the hands, feet, and head off and stitch in the various lines on HG's jacket and pants, as well as add a center zipper. It's a little lighter than HG's but it'll suffice.
For the wig, since I couldn't find the right cut in the right color, I was gonna style a longer, correctly-colored wig.
The cape and kilt will be made from fabric from the fabric store (like JoAnn's). The cape will attach directly to the neck of the zentai. I will make my own kilt from a purple plaid dyed a little darker with coffee.
The boots are fairly easy to acquire at places like Kmart or Target.
I will construct the kneepads from cardboard and stitch them into the zentai.
The military suspenders: 2 black backpack straps attached to a black belt (martial arts) with taped on knife sheaths. Grenade made of plastic yellow egg with keyring and nail.
The pink utility belt: a plastic batman utility belt painted pink with that Krylon Satin "Ballet Slipper" #53526 mentioned earlier. and 2 chapstick tubes with electric tape wound at the ends for those belt tubes. (The front 2 extra pockets cut off and painted black to add to the suspenders). The HG logo glued on the center.
The doubled-sided spear thingy: thin black tube with cardboard cutouts wrapped with foil.
And I think that's it. I added it up and it's roughly $110 with the cheapest versions I could find. Many things my dad has (like the weapon parts and stuff). I'll add if I remember anything else.

throw up some progress pics for sure :) :)

After reading your post , I TOTALLLLLLY forgot to think about making her cape lol.

ANyone have any idea what type of material to use ? Professor ?????? :)

Great work everyone! I've taken up the cause for my baby also and here's what I've been able to fabricate so far. Finished product for build of Hit Girl Smoke Grenade & Stun Grenade(Really the yellow one is a kids Dinosaur Egg that I bought at Michael's, covered in Yellow acrylic paint and a keychain ring with a screw holding it in place. The metal top of the fake smoke grenade is a small piece of sheet metal I bent and formed into the shape of the little metal top thing of the grenade & the Stun Grenade is a styrofoam egg that I bought also at Michaels & add these two copper metal things I found in my tool box then added the keychain ring like the other one) Not bad for homemade fakes that don't really do anything & are for a costume huh? :)

Here's a few pics of the finished costume. We did a trial run tonight just to see how things looked. Still need to do some adjusting to make the wig fit better and so on. Ive got stuff for the knees and elbows for the suit , but Im not gonna worry about that. pretty happy with it all in all .

5103986030_2fbbae1f50_z.jpg

5103393511_fc976a14cb_z.jpg

This is my daughter's Hit Girl costume. It took about 3 weeks to make for her. I utilized a grape colored fabric instead of a pleather material to keep her cool while wearing the costume. The cape was attached to the upper portion of the outfit so we didn't have to mess with putting on and taking off all the time. The gauntlets are a pleather material and we also used stove pipe boots. All-in-all, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I will be upgrading the mask and wig at some point.

My Big Daddy was thrown together in about 2 hours. :lol I realized I need to go on a Big Daddy Diet after seeing the pics! :lol I have plans to upgrade the entire Big Daddy costume at some point, but for now...it gets me through this Halloween.

Hi...my granddaughter wants this costume for Halloween...did you use any patterns? If so could you tell me what brand (simplicity, mccall's, etc) and the pattern number?

For my daughter's suit we just used a pair of her PJ's we got from Costco for the pattern. My mom tore them apart and we went from there

In case it helps, the leathers were leather (as opposed to Faux leather) in pearlescent purple.

The whole costume was custom made but using bits which were available in the public domain (which is great as hopefully it means you should be able to recreate everything) as whole point was that they were supposed to look like stuff you or anyone could buy!

Any ideas where to find the skirt or fabric for it? I've been searching but no luck.
Apparently it was an off the shelf tartan and then dyed to purple (and grey) so if you can get an off the shelf purple and grey of the same style then you're laughing.

After reading your post , I TOTALLLLLLY forgot to think about making her cape lol.

ANyone have any idea what type of material to use ?
The cape seems to be a polyester outer with a purple silk lining.

tubes look like common pvc pipe with end caps available at any home depot, or lowes, and painted pink
@Jenni - Spot on

The boots are para boots

Hope that helps

I just wanted to come on here and properly thank everyone who has posted in this and the Kick Ass thread. I put together a Hit Girl costume for my fiance's 12 year old daughter, and a Kick Ass one for myself. I used these two threads almost exclusively to find info. I got the Bianchi holster, the boot knife sheath, the Kodak camera cases, the PVC for the belt and the ballet slipper paint all from what I read here. I am attaching one picture, but it doesn't to especially her costume justice. I will post more once I upload. I bought the base of her costume off ebay from China. What I got was great, aside from the utility belt and shoulder harnesses. All of the sheaths, holsters and grenades were plush, which I knew going in and understood because of customs. I re-made all of those items, used the wig mentioned here and also had to color it, using acrylic ink. I found the perfect jungle combat boots new on ebay for cheap and in her tiny size 3.5. I made her sword(s) out of PVC, basswood and clay. She had an anodized rainbow colored balisong that was a bottle opener. I will explain more details with the other pictures. Anyone with questions, after all the work I put in, I'd be glad to help.
I left her real mask at home, so I had to make this one out of a sock in 5 minutes, so excuse that part of it.
302635_189535504458584_100002064061183_408941_1578455218_n.jpg

Hi guys. Any tips on making the jacket/pants for the kick ass 2 hit girl costume? Any patterns to follow?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back