Salzo V1 and v2 Landing Skids - WF building launch

Jestefarean

Sr Member
http://home.comcast.net/~jestefarean/xwing/resingear.jpg

I got a fantastic little package I have been waiting for today. MSLZ22 was nice enough to give me a chance to be the first person to review his new landing gear kit, and I couldn’t be more pleased. The 21 piece kit arrived at my door today, and the first thing that caught my attention was how heavy the box was. I guess I was picturing a small little set of landing gear, and this is anything but “small”. The kit comes with everything you need to turn your X-Wing into a detailed landing gear version. I was immediately struck with all my different options. Should I build it in a star base at Yavin, just taking off, in the hanger at Hoth or in the swamps of Degobah? I’m going to opt for the last one.
The kit itself is what we have all grown accustomed to from Mike. It’s perfectly cast, with no seam lines, minimal flash, and solid bubble free resin. The pieces are sturdy and the landing gear contains large brass rods inside it to prevent warping. The 21 pieces include 2 main, and 1 nose gear, the nose gear well, new gear bays for the main gear, new detailed engine inserts, and gear doors for everything. Mike took a lot of time adding detail to the gear, gear wells, and bay doors so they really look the part on a large scale model. The set was made for the V1, or V2 X-Wings, which is great. Now I can make my V1 into a neat scene gear down, and will make my V3 into a wings open display. (I always like to have my options! ) I believe a V3 version is coming. (perhaps a limited edition V3 kit with gear, eh Mike?!?! ) 
All in all, I think this is a fantastic kit that is a must have for X-Wing owners out there. I couldn’t be any happier, and the castings are so crisp I expect to have some pictures by the end of the weekend with the gear mounted on an Xwing in primer. Wish me luck!
If your interested in this kit make sure you send an email to Mike at salzo1@aol.com . I’m not sure how long these will be available, so I would recommend you don’t wait. I’ve seen what his Xwings go on Ebay for now that they aren’t being made and I know I would regret missing out on this.

Last edited:
To wrap up the review I found everything to be very easy to work with. I’ve grown used to Mike’s excellent casting quality and workmanship, and this kit was no exception. I found the new pieces went right in place in the kit with little effort. I was worried about mounting the nose gear well, but it didn’t take me more then 10 minutes with a dremel and a little Aves putty to make it all work. The wing gear wells were easier to deal with than the originals, and I love the look of the kit. It should be noted that my final product includes some greeblies that I wanted to add. Talking to Mike there is very little source material out there about the landing gear, so I just went to town and added some “stuff”. This was a taste thing and I know isn’t “cannon” I’m sure ILM did very little detailing considering the limited screen time the gear had.
Please feel free to post or PM me any questions, and again please email Mike at Salzo1@aol.com for questions about the kit.

I'm off on trying to get my Degobag X-Wing done in time for WF. We shall see if I can pull it off.

Cheers

That looks outstanding!!!! I got a V2 and a V3 and it would be cool to make one in landing mode. Say does it come with the wing blocks to put the wings in the closed postions.

That looks outstanding!!!! I got a V2 and a V3 and it would be cool to make one in landing mode. Say does it come with the wing blocks to put the wings in the closed postions.

Thanks so much for the kind words Daytona. It most certainly does, and they fit perfectly. The wings (as you know) are quite heavy, but the new blocks are holding them in for these pictures with no glue and almost no cleanup. I honestly couldn't be happier with this add on. I also agree...as the owner of a V1, V2, and now a V3 having one with the gear down and wings closed will be a really nice option. I was also thinking of doing a Yavin base scene..or Cloud City...but I think I like Degobah the most.

Trying to finish the ship today so I can work on the diorama this weekend and be done for WF. I've made more then my share of mistakes working through it. The casting is an old casting of "2nds" so I've also done my share fixing and detailing certain things. In the end my plan is to cover it with swamp weeds, but I still wanted to work my way through the whole process as practice for my V2 and V3 that I want to build more accuratly.

I decided since it was being lifted out of the swamp I wouldn't have R2 or a Pilot in the ship...so the R2 cavity is currently empty and needs to have some detail added. The rest of the fuse is about 75% done. It's currently got an acrylic clearcoat drying on it. When that drys I need to balance some of the heavier details and do a wash to bring out some details, and subdue others. The main gear also isn't detailed yet. I have some more wires to add, and I think it needs a wash and some dirtying up. Finally, I still have several colored panels to finish up.

Since there was not going to be a pilot the cockpit was extremly sparse, and it also had a fair share of casting problems with it. I ended up cutting away a number of chunks, but without the pilot the well looked sparse. I added a floor inside the Xwing, made a control yoke, and added the pistons for the canopy, tubes, wires, and various extra greblies. Then I added a seat, and additional instrumentation inside the cockpit tub so it wasn't bare without the pilot. It's also currently got a clear coat drying on it. Once it's set Ill weather it and also apply a wash and then I think the fuse will be close to done.

ooooh that brings back memories, you picked a tough X to paint but have done a incredible job so far. The new landing gear looks ace to, great work Mike.

ooooh that brings back memories, you picked a tough X to paint but have done a incredible job so far. The new landing gear looks ace to, great work Mike.

Thanks everyone!

Guy, I really appreciate the kind words. There are a number of things I did wrong on this, but it was practice...and I referenced a lot of your paint jobs working on it, so it means a ton hearing from you.

Thanks!

Okay...I've officially been staring at this thing to long and it's time to stop for the night. I got the X-Wing basically finished around 7pm...and then promptly broke it. (my son called for a hand...I ran upstairs thinking the epoxy had set..and it hadnt...I came back to a "Z-wing"..or something odd! :rolleyes ) So...I broke it apart...fixed it back...let it dry...finished weathering...and seal coated it. I'm sure there is more I want to do...but I'm not seeing straight anymore. I did put it on the beginings of the swamp base. It needs more swamp...but its a start. Next step will be covering it with weeds and muck. (my wife suggested we just hit a pond in Louisville...leave it as is for now, and drop a load of algae and mud on it there...hmm...maybe not! :))

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back