BTTF2 Doc Brown Metal Sunglasses Finished

Pete SSS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share a little project I've put together today.

Yesterday evening I was asked to make a set of Back to the Future Doc Brown Sunglasses for a shoot this coming Monday, they're being collected tomorrow, so I've had to motor through these pretty quick!

They're made from 1mm sheet steel, and backed with a very thin, self adhesive foam, to make them more comfortable for the actor to wear during filming. This foam is designed to be "carpet" in dolls houses, but it's perfect for this!

I saw a set of these that someone else had made on yourprops.com (prob one of you guys?) , they had a nice "holographic" plastic film stuck on the back of them which is what I'd do if I were to make these for display and not for a shoot.

See what you think

Cheers!

Pete

DocBrownSpecs03.jpg

DocBrownSpecs01.jpg

DocBrownSpecs05.jpg

Fantastic. I was just watching BTTF 2 last night and thought... wonder how to make those for my collection. Any pointers or a tutorial? Thanks

I've been asked to make a set of these out of acrylic with some mirrored mylar or a vacuum deposit mirror on the front surface so you can actually see out for a friend with a BTTF car who wants to wear them while driving... I still think the mill finish metal like yours is a much cooler look!

--Brian

Thanks guys!

Looks great! Are you willing to make any more for sale?

I'll put an interest thread up in the Junkyard soon if people are interested, maybe with different options of backing material? "Holographic" or black vinyl, and maybe this foam too for the costumers.

Moviefreak, Too_Many_Cars and anyone else who wants to make your own, I'll try to get a 1:1 scan of my pattern done soon and post it here.

Cheers

I went out and bought some Lexan, Acrylic, and some 50% mirror tint opaque film last night so we'll see how this goes. If it doesn't turn out I'll probably just buy one of the very nice finished ones!

What about a transparency over holographic film for your run? I was thinking of trying to print a "rear display" that looks like the overlay of Doc's credit card glasses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Gs-tEqDqQ @ 1:30 and 5:15) and laminate it to the inside of the glasses using a 3M optically clear adhesive to frame the whole thing. If anything I make in photoshop looks reasonable I'll post a version up here to share.

--Brian

What about a transparency over holographic film for your run? I was thinking of trying to print a "rear display" that looks like the overlay of Doc's credit card glasses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Gs-tEqDqQ @ 1:30 and 5:15) and laminate it to the inside of the glasses using a 3M optically clear adhesive to frame the whole thing. If anything I make in photoshop looks reasonable I'll post a version up here to share.

--Brian

This is a really nice idea, I've not seen that little video before as I have the original DVD release of the trilogy and have never been on the ride. I love the little details on the display, I think this may be what I'm going to do for the rest of the morning!

Of course, if you beat me to the photoshop head-up display you're welcome to post your version first with the flat pattern!

(I've got a lightsaber to build for my cousin's birthday and a set of remote control electronics for a KITT I need to complete before I get to the glasses so I'm another week or two out)

--Brian

I've put together a version of the Heads up display found in the video Too Many Cars posted above. There's a little preview below. I've also just orderd what I think is holographic, self adhesive printer paper, should arrive within the next couple of days. If this all goes to plan then I think it should look pretty sweet, and shouldn't be too much extra work.

I'll keep you posted

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back