Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

You said you were giving it to your friends kid so does that mean we should scale up the templates to adult size?

No, they are already adult size. The "kid" is 17 and taller than me. :lol I'm 5'9".

I put the more important measurements on the templates in case you wanted to scale them up or down. You can look at the template and see quickly what size they are by default and adjust them accordingly.

The templates will get you there, but feel free to change it up. I'm making the templates as I go and you guys could probably figure out a better way to do this than me. If you see something that needs to be changed on the templates let me know. They are just a guide, and will make what you see in the pictures, but they are also very much a work in progress. :)

LOL! Fetts, dude you're the hero ahahhaha, I'm was laughing so bad when I saw this. You're awesome, tut made in what...24 hours? Just awesome! Excellent JOB! And really thanks to you for your kind words about my helmet :D although, it ain't a tutorial, even though it is shown how to make the helmet...almost...step by step.

Keep posting man! This is outstanding stuff for all of us!
Up with the trash can HERO!

Awesome...I am using the same technique with Foamies underneath for my War Machine. I love the progress pics and cannot wait to see updates. Thanks.

Paul D.

Fetts,

Refreshing to see someone take an alternate route in releasing the "Ultra-super-Top-Secret" technique to build armor suits out of a readily/cheap source of plastic material. I spend alot of time my self sourcing readily available/cheap sources of plastics and foam peices at places like Walmart, Target, etc. I used a sleek bottomed thin foam sled for my iron man stomach along with 4 multiple sized baseball helmets for my shoulder armor, 7-11 cups for gauntlets, detergent bottles for biceps/upper arms, along with some old clone trooper parts, Plastic cups for trapezius area, etc. Mounted everything on some old motocross armor so that I could just slip it on and off. Bought the Helmet.

DSC01507.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread

Man, I realy want to do this...But being Mickey Rourke's son...I'm sorta obligated to...Uhh....Cut your car in half. :(

You know that could be a really good costume for you Jodo! tell you what you do Whiplash and we can get together for a photo shoot!

I used a sleek bottomed thin foam sled for my iron man stomach along with 4 multiple sized baseball helmets for my shoulder armor, 7-11 cups for gauntlets, detergent bottles for biceps/upper arms, along with some old clone trooper parts, Plastic cups for trapezius area, etc. Mounted everything on some old motocross armor so that I could just slip it on and off. Bought the Helmet.

That's a very good point right there - there are many many many commercially made plastic items of different shapes and sizes that can be cut up and reused... beats sanding bondo down anyway ;-)

Very nice. Just a couple of quick questions, when the scale says 1:2 we print it double the size? What size paper are you using?

Fetts,

Refreshing to see someone take an alternate route in releasing the "Ultra-super-Top-Secret" technique to build armor suits out of a readily/cheap source of plastic material. I spend alot of time my self sourcing readily available/cheap sources of plastics and foam peices at places like Walmart, Target, etc. I used a sleek bottomed thin foam sled for my iron man stomach along with 4 multiple sized baseball helmets for my shoulder armor, 7-11 cups for gauntlets, detergent bottles for biceps/upper arms, along with some old clone trooper parts, Plastic cups for trapezius area, etc. Mounted everything on some old motocross armor so that I could just slip it on and off. Bought the Helmet.

DSC01507.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread

All 3 costumes rock in that pic! You've done an amazing job transforming common household items into an excellent Iron Man. :thumbsup

Very nice. Just a couple of quick questions, when the scale says 1:2 we print it double the size? What size paper are you using?

The templates are not very printer friendly at this point. Some are letter,some are legal,some are tabloid. When I get the templates finished I'm going to offer a second option and format them all US letter and add them to the main template zip file. When they are all on Letter they will have to be cut out and put together since some templates will span multiple pages.

To answer your question, when it is 1:2 scale, it appears on the paper to be half the actual size. You will need to double the size of the drawing to be life size. When it is 1:1 it is appears on paper the size it should be. The measurements are on the drawing if you need to verify your scale after printing. As for the paper sizes I'm using, I've used Letter 8.5X11 and Tabloid 11X17 so far. Tabloid for the ribs, and I think the breast plate, letter for everything else.

LOGANCLAW22, your suit looks sweet! That is a work of art and very creative uses of commonly found items! I don't think I could make it look nearly that good!:thumbsup

Fetts,

I did not intend to hijack your post, just re-enforce your point about what can be done with some plastic parts, trashcans, etc. Don't kid yourself, your MKV is going to kick ass. I have never attempted to make a helmet so I have to resort to buying them. I think that once you have a great helmet/mask that you are 80% there when going for a look. It takes a true "expert" on props to recognize a costumes faults and there are only so many "so-called experts" out there.

I cannot wait to see your finished product and just love the progress picks. I was just down in my basement last night cutting up a black trash can for parts of the War Machine so I got a big smile on my face when I saw your post. Sending templates out was thoughful and just awesome. There are some great people on these boards. That's why I'd like to think that they were created in the first place. This is some fun stuff! Take care and keep those posts coming. Thanks.

Paul D.

Fetts,

I did not intend to hijack your post, just re-enforce your point about what can be done with some plastic parts, trashcans, etc. Don't kid yourself, your MKV is going to kick ass. I have never attempted to make a helmet so I have to resort to buying them. I think that once you have a great helmet/mask that you are 80% there when going for a look. It takes a true "expert" on props to recognize a costumes faults and there are only so many "so-called experts" out there.

I cannot wait to see your finished product and just love the progress picks. I was just down in my basement last night cutting up a black trash can for parts of the War Machine so I got a big smile on my face when I saw your post. Sending templates out was thoughful and just awesome. There are some great people on these boards. That's why I'd like to think that they were created in the first place. This is some fun stuff! Take care and keep those posts coming. Thanks.

Paul D.

I'm not worried about it :lol I'm glad you posted that and told me how you did it.

I've been getting a lot of questions about formatting the pages and sizing.

I have added some more files to the main templates zip file. Now you will find the original template with my comments and measurements, you'll also find another file associated with the same part but with US-LETTER in the file name. These are multipage PDFs that are formatted for 8.5X11 and ready to print.

Still, reference at the large template file so you can see what the part should look like when you cut the paper out and tape it together.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back