Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

I was pondering on how to cut this besides using a utility knife, considering I like my fingers and all.. I think a dremel with a cutting disk would melt the plastic, maybe a bandsaw or a jig saw?

Band saw, jigsaw scroll saw, metal shears, dremel with a drywall bit, router. :eek:lol

I am following this so well I was just inspired to make my Alice In Wonderland armor the same way!!!!! Just need to figure out how to build up the plastic for designs in the armor!

Hurry up and figure out how you are going to do that please!

Great work so far!

i see a lot of people are having trouble with the bins in the uk as the plastic is not as good as in the usa.
so if any one in the UK has started this prop please tell me what bin did you use and please post a link. thank you.

This is really cool. Probably one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. Kudos for putting this out there [...].

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know if you have seen this picture, but it just shows a transition of the suit being put on. i thought it was cool, and also it has a few close ups that i thought might be helpful

suitcaseawesome.jpg

Thank you charliehall03 for those pics. My phone now has a series of new wallpapers!

I ended up having to work a little late so I'm behind schedule. I hope to finish up the arms and legs tonight and get the templates drawn. I'll post them in the morning most likely.

I've had a lot of questions asking when the tutorial will be finished because May 7th is so close and some want to finish their suit before then. I have to work late Friday and all weekend but I plan on finishing the suit and the tutorial at night. I plan on having everything finished and posted Monday evening.

My advice for those who plan on having a suit for the Iron Man 2 opening would be to get a helmet squared away first (or at least have a plan for one)since that is the hardest/most important part. Sintra, Pepakura, and the Junkyard are you friend....Then, just have fun making the suit.

I may be able to get some pics up late tonight.

I meant to post this tip earlier but I forgot. If you take a heat gun and carefully heat the edges of the parts (where you cut them out) after you assemble them it will clean the edges and make them look nice.

Last edited:
Fetts, the heat gun idea is great, I was using a file to clean the edges up and then hit the edge with sandpaper really quick.

I have a tone of Sintra here, do you think this would work? Its about 3mm thick.

I think it would work . You'll need to make the cures yourself with a heatgun. Sintra is harder than the trashcan plastic so it might be more time consuming but sintra is much more durable that the trashcan plastic.

Finally! Someone has used my template!! URRRRAAAYYYYYYYY! Fetts, you did an excellent job and really thanks for "tagging" me in this thread. I'm sorry not to have replied in here, I feel sintra questions as mine, but you already did all the "dirty" job!

If you need anything about the making of the helmet just ask, I'll answer here so anyone can read ;) Did you close the helmet btw? Also, I've seen you cut the "cheeks" out. You could have left them. If you heat the sintra up, you can bend them just like the original helmet without need of cutting them. What you need to do is this:

Cut a not TOO DEEP line where you have the line of the cheek. If the sintra is 3mm, go like 1.5 mm deep. This has to be done while your sintra is still on the ground. Once you have your cut, try gently and push the cheek downward just a bit. As you start heating the sintra up, keep pushing REAL gently downward and when the faceplate gets the way you wanted (rounded), you'll see that by pushing the cheeks, they will get the shape of the original helmet ;)

Ok, this was Italian to english...did anyone understand a single word of what I wrote? ahhahahah :D

Finally! Someone has used my template!! URRRRAAAYYYYYYYY! Fetts, you did an excellent job and really thanks for "tagging" me in this thread. I'm sorry not to have replied in here, I feel sintra questions as mine, but you already did all the "dirty" job!

If you need anything about the making of the helmet just ask, I'll answer here so anyone can read ;) Did you close the helmet btw? Also, I've seen you cut the "cheeks" out. You could have left them. If you heat the sintra up, you can bend them just like the original helmet without need of cutting them. What you need to do is this:

Cut a not TOO DEEP line where you have the line of the cheek. If the sintra is 3mm, go like 1.5 mm deep. This has to be done while your sintra is still on the ground. Once you have your cut, try gently and push the cheek downward just a bit. As you start heating the sintra up, keep pushing REAL gently downward and when the faceplate gets the way you wanted (rounded), you'll see that by pushing the cheeks, they will get the shape of the original helmet ;)

Ok, this was Italian to english...did anyone understand a single word of what I wrote? ahhahahah :D

I'll do the cheeks that way next time. Your way of doing the cheeks is a much better way than what I did. I was going way too fast. The helmet is closed at this point. I'll take some picture of the back and post them. Thank you for the template! It worked great!

The only big problem of that template is the chin. It's in a straight line with the faceplate, which is not correct. In my helmet, I had to cut the chin part off, redo it and then glue it back in to achieve the right angle between chin and faceplate. But I'm a sick individual so... :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back