Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

I'm starting to wonder if a certain member in this thread is the same person that's he's defending, but under a different account. Dunno, probably not, but I can't help but wonder about it. Same bad spelling, same reasoning, same attitude and everything.

Anywho, that aside, I just caught this thread. Awesome work so far. It's really great that you're doing this for people and putting the techniques and templates out there for everyone. Can't wait to see how it progresses and looks when you're done.

I'm starting to wonder if a certain member in this thread is the same person that's he's defending, but under a different account. Dunno, probably not, but I can't help but wonder about it. Same bad spelling, same reasoning, same attitude and everything.

Anywho, that aside, I just caught this thread. Awesome work so far. It's really great that you're doing this for people and putting the techniques and templates out there for everyone. Can't wait to see how it progresses and looks when you're done.

Nah, two separate people, they live in the same state possibly the same city, went to highschool together, and work on costuming together. Just a friend trying to back up his buddy.

Last edited:
If you're not in a hurry I have a tutorial coming up next week on how to make an automatic opening and closing faceplate with eyes that light up. I won't have the parts to start until next week and I'm still working some of the details.

Are you still planning on doing this tutorial? I was really looking forward to seeing it!

I might do the eyes but Finhead has a better hinge system in his thread and he stated there that hes going to do a blueprint when it's finished, so I figured that I'd defer to his better opening faceplate system. His system is quite elegant. Check out his video if you have time. If no one does an electronic eyes tutorial I'll do that.

Last edited:
SO I have been looking over a pic of the armor. For the shoulder bells I think you could reuse the triceps templates. Shins I am still thinking on.

OK figured out the shins and calves. Use the ARC chest piece, but cut off the pegs and the bottom and do not cut out the circle these will be the calf covers. Then use the Triceps again to wrap around to the front you will need to shorten them toward the ankle.

As for gloves and feet use the pep files that are available.

I've been working on a pep IM suit for the last couple months as well and have always had trouble getting the mid section parts to fit and work with the rest of the parts. I think using your idea of the ab plates in the mid section would be a great way to overcome this, thank you so much for posting! It'll end up as a pep/trash can hybrid, thanks fetts! :thumbsup

OK figured out the shins and calves. Use the ARC chest piece, but cut off the pegs and the bottom and do not cut out the circle these will be the calf covers. Then use the Triceps again to wrap around to the front you will need to shorten them toward the ankle.

As for gloves and feet use the pep files that are available.

tk1055, you are awesome! :thumbsup

I was saying either here or in another Iron Man thread (there are a couple lol) that it's a real shame they chose to show this in the trailer. How absolutely insane would that have been to have seen that the very first time in the theater?

An RPFer asked me if I could make an Iron Man Mark III chest base for him to use for a charity event. I don't know exactly what his project entails so I'll let him explain it if he chooses to. I whipped this up last night and donated to his project.

This is to give you an idea of what you can do with other plastics and the rivet method.

It looks a little rough but it's just to get him started. I used 6mm sintra. I wouldn't recommend using this thickness too much. It was so thick I had to cut it on a bandsaw, but it's VERY tough. It may be too tough. It feels like real armor almost.

Anyway a little heat gun and some rivets and you have this. I primed it for him with some krylon fusion red to get a base coat of paint.

You can see where the plastic started turning brown because I heated it up a little too much in a couple of places.

Sorry, no templates for this one. I kinda just free handed it as I went along since I was in a hurry.

A mannequin was happy to assist. I put the Mark V helmet I'm making on him to protect his identity.

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Capture4.jpg

Capture5.jpg

Capture6.jpg

WOW! I definetely will hand you the "god of sintra" title ahahahhaha.
I usually take a bunch of time to get measures and stuff like that, but you're just....WOW!

6mm sintra is going to be SO TOUGH...wouldn't like to deal with that! I can't stand the 3mm anymore...I'd die with the 6mm. But trust me, excellent job on this armor, from a guy who did the 300 shins, armguards, helmet and some clone trooper armor with it!

again, WOW!

Fetts,

Awesome job!!!

I have often wondered if this can be done with screws/bolts that set below the surface and then have the indentation filled in with Bondo, sanded and painted.

Paul D.

Yeah you could no prob. But, need to tell you, after a while, you'll see where the bondo was put. Forex and bondo do not survive a lot togheter. It's always better to make a mold and the cast it so that you'll have the piece made of just one material.

At least, that's my experience about it ;)

Instead of Fusion paint, I can highly recommend Vinyl and Fabric Dye from an Auto Parts Store. It stinks to high heaven for awhile, but it dries SUPER fast and literally BONDS to the plastic, so no possibility of scratching. If you assembled your pieces AFTER they were vinyl dyed, they'd look incredible and you could skip the paint at the end - so when you're done, you're done! :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back