BTTF2 hoverboard plans and graphics

hi

I am a 1st time prop maker what would you use to make a hoverboard for the resin/ disc parts ?

I am using clay to make them on a smaller basis now because it is my first time modeling. But there are some images I created on file at

www.area84.com/PDFFiles.zip

Also on a larger not there are some plastic plates you can get at any supermarket that are a good size for the beveled magnet part. I cast it with plaster of paris then was planning on working on the rest of the underside.

noob question i know but how do you print the pdf on to the board ?

P1050858.jpg

I had my magnets and spacer machined on a CNC router. I'm trying to find out prices now if he'd do more.

I'd imagine a router is the only way to go other than taking a pie pan, pouring something into it and molding it.

As far as printing onto the board, what others have done is take the images, print stickers and use that.

If someone had measurements for the board I'd probably start right on this, but I don't want to until we get proper measurements.

Gregg

noob question i know but how do you print the pdf on to the board ?

P1050858.jpg

Some of my ideas are you could take that pdf file and size it to your board then have a sign company just print it out on a vinyl sticker and apply it to your board. Another would be have them cut out the individual colors and apply them in layers on the board. I have some paper that runs off a our press that is a coated stock and is UV protected that could be applied by spray adhesive. There are endless possibilities out there you would just have to do one that suits your needs.

The vinyl layered way is the most accurate in my eyes, and you could use the velcro for some of the colors as they are supposed to be.

I'm not a fan of the "brick pattern" of the pdf so I made this based off the highest rez photos I could find, in case anyone wants to try printing this onto vinyl and doing the "layer" method. If I can find a place to print it cheap enough I might do that...

http://www.williamwhirity.com/HB-pattern.png
(best to right click and download linked file) I can't host the file there for long so if someone wants to grab it and re-host it, I'd appreciate it as I'm sure would others on the boards)

my other idea is to paint the patterned area of the board a purple-ish color and stick on some patterned transparent contact paper over it for the lenticular effect. I'll try to keep this thread updated on the results....

either way I'll probably cover the entire surface with a clear contact paper to keep the layered vinyl elements from peeling off...

Im trying to get a run started of the actual material for the board. which was stated earlier in the thread. That way you wouldnt have to come up with ways to recreate it.
-Todd

that would be ideal. any luck with the pic of the material? also how thick is it?

Im trying to get a run started of the actual material for the board. which was stated earlier in the thread. That way you wouldnt have to come up with ways to recreate it.
-Todd

I'm sure most of you know this but there were two different kinds of boards used for the film. One with the lenticular sheet and hand assembled velcro strips and lettering:

http://www.ketzer.com/backtothefuture/PH_mattel_top.jpg

..and a photoboard (photocopied lenticular sheet and graphics) so they could be produced quicker.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_hoverboard_mcfly.jpg.jpg

You can probably tell that the photocopied board has a much different pattern than the other one. The green and pink stripes are also solid strips of color. Some of those boards have the velcro strips covering them.

I'm interested in doing one of each. I have been trying the hunt down the neon pink and green velcro strips that were used. I have gone to a couple of fabric stores but no luck so far. Does anyone have a source for this material online?

So am I right in thinking that these are strips that get the velcro treatment:

hblines.png

Does the yellow get any velcro love, or is it just the vinyl? And is the velcro also used on the back, or is it a preference thing?

One last question for now; how was the foot disc made to swivel? I see in that one reference pic there's a large square hole. I assume that a support block was on there that attached to something... to make the disc spin. Like a lazy susan bracket?

SWEET!!! I went to a "paper prop" site, where you can download a bunch of BTTF stuff, and most of it was SO small it was not even printable. But I did find a large Indy map, with an email address on it, which brought me over to THIS site, and I registered! WOW, you guys are GREAT! I feel out of place, since I don't have anything even close to the fantastic stuff you guys have! Seems everone here owns a stormtrooper outfit, or a Ghostbusters backpack, hehe! Anyway, glad to be here.

William (original Trekker)

I used to own the original 'Master Mold' parts that ICONS was going to use to do thier run of Hoverboard replicas.
I had a set of molds made from them before selling the set.
From what I have learned, the ICONS parts were molded right from the original prop.
Here they are painted and installed on my Hoverboard replica:
Hoverboard2.jpg

Hoverboard3.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back