BTTF2 hoverboard plans and graphics

Hey guys i just made some graphics from other peoples graphics and designs, i altered the colours and put in the lenticular material pattern for those that don't want to buy the material and just want the look, here you go http://i51.tinypic.com/34yz52b.jpg
credit to Beeb89 for the original graphic

Last edited:
I love this thread!

Owning a Hoverboard has been a dream of mine forever. I recently got to attend the Hoverboarding 101 event hosted by We're Going Back (http://www.weregoingback.com) and got to play around with a whole line of BTTF123's replica boards. They had foam and wood ones there, with each of the five boards from the film represented. There was a Pit Bull made of wood that was really heavy but was nice and solid. It was a great experience and I got to actually Hoverboard like the stunt team did for the film.

I have lots of photos and video of the Hoverboard Replicas and that day's event here:

Photos:We're Going Back - Hoverboarding 101 - a set on Flickr
Video:Hoverboarding 101 - We're Going Back to the Future on Vimeo

Can't wait to see where this thread progresses.

Looks like I choose to look on the right archive hard drive out of the gate - thought it was going to take me longer to track down the pics. In any case, here are three decent shot that should help illustrate what I was talking about in the post above.

Enjoy.

-Speeder

I can't believe no one has commented on your posting. Those pictures are awesome. You obviously had something to do with the production!? Thanks for the info.

Hi guys,
Total rookie at prop making in general and just getting started. The hoverboard has always held a sentimental place in my heart since I was a kid so I'm going to give it a shot!

My question is, making the board out of wood...how do you get the slope of the tail and the board to look right? I'm assuming there are two pieces of wood that are shaped and glued (?) together? What kind of wood do you start with? Is foam better (this is probably a matter of debate somewhere on this forum)?

Thanks....and as a freshman at The University of RPF, I appreciate the time and education.

If you went with wood, I'd use MDF. its smooth and easy to work with (and easy to hide that its wood)
for the tail, a miter cut would do the trick.

Foam is cool, but its almost too light.

We need to come up with something in between.

If you went with wood, I'd use MDF. its smooth and easy to work with (and easy to hide that its wood)
for the tail, a miter cut would do the trick.

Foam is cool, but its almost too light.

We need to come up with something in between.

Thanks Charles....the more info the better. So it's pretty much a straight cut with no smooth transition to the slope? I can see from other photos in the thread a slope of 25 degrees. Just trying to be accurate as possible.

I also had one other question about prop replication in general (Again, totally new at this). How does hoverboard UK sell their boards to consumers without getting sued (Unless they have license to do so I suppose)? Or a better question might be, does someone or some company own license to the original idea and concept of the hoverboard that me/you/we need permission from before we make and/or sell reproductions of?

Do you need a license to sell any of this stuff? Lightsabers? Ghostbuster Packs? Hoverboards? I mean I get making 1 or 2 to sell on ebay probably wouldnt cause to many problems....but the Hoverboard UK guys, I mean....a site just for mass producing hoverboards? How is that not illegal? Or is it?

I finally finished 3 of the 5 boards, I just need to paint my PitBull and am waiting on a vinyl printout of the No tech board.

Here is a pic:
206872_1985656999944_1198842238_2405867_3401762_n.jpg

If anyone didn't get to download the vectors send me an email address and I will get it over. They have reached their download limit.

I'm fixin' to do a run of my ICONS magnet assembly parts. I am having five sets made, two sets are already spoken for but if anyone is interested in finishing thier board off with the most authentic parts anywere, let me know.
Thanks for posting the above graphic images - they look great. This is a tricky prop to nail simply becuase of the many variations that were produced for the movie.

I'm fixin' to do a run of my ICONS magnet assembly parts. I am having five sets made, two sets are already spoken for but if anyone is interested in finishing thier board off with the most authentic parts anywere, let me know.
Thanks for posting the above graphic images - they look great. This is a tricky prop to nail simply becuase of the many variations that were produced for the movie.

How much are these running?

I'm going to take a crack at building this prop. I'll be using the 28" x 8" x 1" dimensions and basing everything off of that (thanks GeneralFROSTY). I have access to a well-equipped woodshop and the desire to learn how all those tools work, so my board will be made of wood, including the discs and clamps.

Noobie question - what type of wood would y'all recommend I use? I intend to use real wood, not MDF. Thanks!

I'm going to take a crack at building this prop. I'll be using the 28" x 8" x 1" dimensions and basing everything off of that (thanks GeneralFROSTY). I have access to a well-equipped woodshop and the desire to learn how all those tools work, so my board will be made of wood, including the discs and clamps.

Noobie question - what type of wood would y'all recommend I use? I intend to use real wood, not MDF. Thanks!

You could get a A grade piece of pine, it would have no knots or anything and they tend to stay pretty light?

My son saw me working on all my boards and he wanted his own "surfboard" so I made him one with some leftover material.

208015_1996620274019_1198842238_2421643_4598556_n.jpg

206631_1996619634003_1198842238_2421641_1472890_n.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back