BTTF2 hoverboard plans and graphics

Remember there were many variations of the Mattel board.
If you have the DVD, freeze frame it during the Hoverboard chase scnene and you will notice that there are multiple Mattel boards used, each with sublte to major differences.
The "hero" boards had the holographic 'honeycomb' pattern on the top as well as the sides, velcro stripes and were made from dense foam.
The "Stunt" boards had what is called the photo graphic on top in place of the honeycomb lenticular - the pattern was a sequence of three dots repeated all over. This version sometimes had a silver stripe on the sides.
There are also a number of varying widths of the velcro stripes. The prop department must not have kept to a strict 'formula' when putting this prop together.
A lot of the stunt boards were all foam because they were light weight enough to screw onto the actors shoes for the wire work. The boards that actually had wheels on them were made from wood.

GeneralFROSTY is right, there were numerous variations of the stunt boards and to a lesser extent the hero models as well. Not only did the stunt boards have the "photo graphic" in place of the lenticular - it could be applied on the spot for quick repairs as boards got damaged during takes - but all of the underside components were vacuformed to keep the weight to a minimum. This along with to deck being constructed from urethane foam made them quite delicate when mounted to the end of the steel rod rigged to guide Michael J. Fox's feet while he "flew" around.

As they were often seen in wide shots the stunt boards also had a variety of materials mixed and matched to get the same effect on screen. The stripes were made alternately from colored tape and even pink and green velcro - basically whatever was on hand to make the necessary repairs and get a board out to set for a second, third, or fourth take without holding up the show. The one constant was that Zemeckis insisted on the furry pink strap that is attached to the rear of the board no matter which board they were using.

I'll post some pics of one of the surviving stunt boards as soon as I can.

Looks like I choose to look on the right archive hard drive out of the gate - thought it was going to take me longer to track down the pics. In any case, here are three decent shot that should help illustrate what I was talking about in the post above.

Enjoy.

-Speeder

Attachments

• BTTF.II_HoverStunt.02.jpg
    BTTF.II_HoverStunt.02.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,308
I second the ebay member BTTF123, I dont own one but had many email conversations with him about the hoverboards. The best around

Hello, i was wondering if anyone was selling the printed 'Hoverboard' graphfics so i could just put it on my board. I don't have a printer and i have no idea how to print it out so i want to buy a finished 'kit'.

Two quick questions as I do some research leading up to a Hoverboard build:

Does anyone know the proper angle for the tail/kick to be angled at on the Hero board? Stunt board?

On the hero board, is the angle where the tail meets the main body rounded at all on the top or bottom, or does it terminate in a sharp angle? It looks rounded on the bottom to me, but I'm not sure and the top is a mystery to me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Nick

This is a frakkin' awesome prop and project... BTTF 2 is my favorite of those films, and I always loved the hoverboard. BTW... has anyone on this site ever tried to make a replica of the hoverconversion bits that were added to the flying cars in the film? I have a fairly decent shot of the pink Edsel that was hoverconverted, as well as some photos of the actual full-size 2015 Hill Valley police car, if anyone here would be interested in seeing them.

I'd love to make a hoverconversion for my own car, but IDK if there are any "clean" refs, in the form of stuff like large measured line drawings or anything for those props.

Two quick questions as I do some research leading up to a Hoverboard build:

Does anyone know the proper angle for the tail/kick to be angled at on the Hero board? Stunt board?

On the hero board, is the angle where the tail meets the main body rounded at all on the top or bottom, or does it terminate in a sharp angle? It looks rounded on the bottom to me, but I'm not sure and the top is a mystery to me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Nick
2nby79t.jpg

I believe it is supposed to go up an angle of 25 degrees, but that's just using Beeb89 's details

Do you guys think that using an actual skate-board as a starting point would be a good idea, or is there a better way to go?

Found these old photos while digging thru my online image storage.

I made this skate board as just something to do. I had planed on making my little sister one (she's a sk8er) but never got around to it.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Who won it off ebay?
I remember it was someone in Australia...

Remember there were many variations of the Mattel board.
If you have the DVD, freeze frame it during the Hoverboard chase scnene and you will notice that there are multiple Mattel boards used, each with sublte to major differences.
The "hero" boards had the holographic 'honeycomb' pattern on the top as well as the sides, velcro stripes and were made from dense foam.
The "Stunt" boards had what is called the photo graphic on top in place of the honeycomb lenticular - the pattern was a sequence of three dots repeated all over. This version sometimes had a silver stripe on the sides.
There are also a number of varying widths of the velcro stripes. The prop department must not have kept to a strict 'formula' when putting this prop together.
A lot of the stunt boards were all foam because they were light weight enough to screw onto the actors shoes for the wire work. The boards that actually had wheels on them were made from wood.

Actually, if you look carefully, the pattern appears to be a series of TWO dots with a border around the pair repeating over and over. :)

My board was made by a guy that goes by the Ebay name Bttf123.
His boards, IMO, are the best out there - at the time he made mine, he had the authentic lenticular pattern available but has since run out. It is very hard to come by now.
Before selling my ICONS Hoverboard parts (which included the board as well as the magnet assembly) I took detailed photographs and measurements.
The board that was made for me is made of hard foam (like the original stunt boards) and is identical in size and shape to the original. It's not just the overall dimensions that are important - but the tapering of the angled edges.
The magnet assembly parts that came with my board were switched out with the ones from my mold.
I did sell one set of molded parts a year or two ago, but I think the guy had recast them and started selling his own boards. It's fine I guess since it's not my work, but once people start recasting and recasting, it makes the parts less special in a way. Since I owned the original 'master mold' parts, that gave me a certain right to make a mold and make copies for myself to use on my board. I sold an extra set to help someone out with thier own board but I believe they were recasted:cry
It used to be a secret - but the REAL dimensions of the board is:
28" x 8" x 1"
Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the great info!

I've looked at Bttf123's boards on evilbay and they look quite nice. Then I found Hoverboard Replicas and theirs appear to be even more accurate and better built than bttf123's boards.

GF, do you have any experience with hoverboard.org.uk and if so, how do their boards compare IRL to bttf123's?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back