BTTF2 hoverboard plans and graphics

this is a prop that i'd love to build , as i'm new i'm a bit scared to ask , but here goes , can someone pm me the measurements , with the angle of the kick tail

Cocomando... General Frosty has posted measurements and someone else earlier posted blueprints.

Gregg

I checked out those blueprints...
Very well made - though I cannot agree that the measurments are correct. I got to see and measure a real one in person and I can tell you my measurements are legit.
Also, the blueprints show that the taper on the bottom is 5/8" just like on the top, but the taper on the bottom is slightly longer.

General Frosty is correct. 28 x 8 x 1. Seen it myself.

hover-28.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds good to me guys.

I want to clarify that I in no way doubted you General Frosty, I've just found in this hobby, especially if you are going to do a run of stuff, you can't make decisions unilaterally because people have percieved beliefs in how things are supposed to be.

I know for many of us, myself included, that have been looking at the drastically oversized boards that it's hard to sometimes wrap your head around something "right".

Thanks for the information. So for the bevel on the sides? is it just a 45 degree cut? Any idea what the thickness of the flat edge is?

Thanks again,

Gregg

I just posted an interest thread. If there turns out to be some interest and the pricing seems ok, I'll go ahead and have a prototype made up.

Gregg

If you want my opinion, offer replicas of the 'stunt' board (the one with the printed graphics) since most people always try to do the hero board with the lenticular and velcro. Since the exact lenticular is pretty rare, you would be better off doing the stunt foam board with the printed graphics.
General Frosty, could you clarify this part a bit please ? The hero board doesn't have the graphics, or the graphics AND the lenticular ? Are the stunt board and the hero board different ? I must admit I'm kinda bugged here. o_O

I'm starting to think the board used for the hero boards weren't custom fabricated for filming, but actually from a real skateboard. My guess is from the 80's, possibly available around the time of filming.

I noticed in pictures of two different versions of the hover board, they both have the same kind of curve they carve in longboards and older skateboards to keep the wheels from rubbing the wood when making turns. aka, to avoid wheel bite. I kinda doubt the prop maker who made these boards would have carved these concaves into several custom made boards that weren't going to ever use wheels anyways. They can be seen both on the front and the back of the board right where the wheels would usually be.

So now, it apears I have yet another 'un-found' part I need to be searching for.:)

-Carson

wheelbiteu.jpg

The actual origins of the Hoverboards were closely guarded secrets from owners of the original props for many years, however, in recent years more information has surfaced regarding this amazing little prop.
I had litterally obsessed over this prop for over a decade. It's what got me started in prop collecting.
There were MANY variations of the Mattel board made. Some from wood, some from hard foam - all custom, no 'found' items.
The original plan was to have the Mattel boards be made using the holographic 'honeycomb' pattern (the "hero" prop), however, the boards were getting roughed up and broken on set so much, that the hero boards were replaced/interchanged with the 'stunt' version, which instead of the honeycomb lenticular and layered graphics, featured a flat printed version of the graphics.
The hero board also featured velcro strips (hook side) which from what I have learned, was to act as a kind of tread to keep the actors' feet from slipping off the board - I personally believe this was added to give depth and detail to the surface of the board.
In the 2015 chase scene, there are at least three or four variations of the Mattel board used - you would'nt know unless you were looking for it by freeze-framing, but they are there! The first time we see the board is the hero....later, when he's hanging on the rope and being pulled by the car, it's the stunt - and the sides of the board have a sliver strip instead of the honeycomb pattern....other shots the velcro strips on the top are wider, sometimes thinner....color variations....etc etc....it really goes on and on!
Only the stunt version was seen in Pt.III. as far as I know.
I've purchased four Hoverboard replicas in the past fifteen years - the first three were dissapointments because they did not suit my belief of what I felt it should look like. Once I learned how many version there really were, I knew I had to 'pick one and go with it' - I was lucky to nab the ICONS master parts off ebay years ago, and just as lucky to come in contact with ebay member bttf123 who makes THE best Hoverboard replicas I have ever seen, and I proudly display his board in my home (using my ICONS parts).
It's a tough prop to get perfect because perfect, in this case, is a point of veiw.
Sorry for the long post here...I have a lot of love for this prop...but I have obsessed over it for FAR too long...it's time to leave it behind and at least share my knowlege of it with others just starting the journey.

Unless you are talking the graphics only. That board looks longer than 28".

There were dozens of these made - some wood, some foam. It is likely that some of them were slightly longer or shorter, but 28" is the standard length for the prop as per the hero board.
There were also boards equipped with skateboard wheels for some of the shots. Not sure about those grooves though? The board WAS 1" think, never seen a skateboard that thick. Could be just an extra detail? Unfortunately, the few out there who have intimate knowlege of these props are pretty stern on NOT sharing any info. It took me ten years to find out what little I know!

I was bidding on a Pit bull on eBay & the guy emailed me a few times asking my bid. Then his brother would bid to raise the price, then he was no longer a registered user. Anyway I've trifled with the "hover board" dimensions and the props as I have designed my own hover boards and various oddities. At first I had no incline about what was best in size as I have a design of 4'x9' to car-size and the boards of 1'x2'. As they actually shrink a great deal in design they were never actually the right size, too big! In design and prints I found that the dimensions of a perfect hover board are exactly: 9" x 22".

Here's a site listing the hover board dimensions of BTF2! http://cvip.fresno.com/~chelz/mattel.html

Last edited:
That's interesting about the wheel grooves. I never noticed that before!

Perhaps the boards were manufactured my a local skateboard designer and he just put the grooves in there out of habit?

Very interesting though.

I just finished modeling Griff's board. Please note that the position of the parts is not accurate. I just stuck them in their general location. I did not include the spools, footpad, etc. because they can be produced by simpler methods. Based on the information that I could find, I modeled it as accurately as I could. I hope all who try it out enjoy it.
griffboard.jpg

The board itself is better suited to be made from wood instead of cardstock or sintra, but I included it for the sake of completeness. I had the most trouble finding accurate info on the rockets, but I think that I have provided a decent representation of them.
Thanks to Unheard for all the help with info on these boards.

Get it here: http://www.4shared.com/file/QzZ-9ell/griffs_hoverboard.html

Edit: I just spotted that I missed some fins on the rocket. I'll post an update after I fix it.

Last edited:
thank you m8 good to feel part of the team.

Dimensions: 10 X 30 this scale on the hoverboard pepakura is set ( thanks again dung0beetle )

i also found info.

Strap: 4 inch width-colors vary

i am guessing that's the thinness of the strap ?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back