BTTF2 hoverboard plans and graphics

I second Droidboy on this one, but this apply to him as well : is there actually a way for us to buy some of those Hoverboard parts, or is it still too early in WIP ? :)

( GeneralFrosty, I spotted some The MASK stuff in the background... nice ! ;) )

I'm happy to make my parts available. I'm just waiting on my machinist to get me a price back. He got married this weekend so he' probably out of commission for a few days at least.

I also have an idea for the clamps themselves, but I didn't like how the test pieces worked.

gregg

Great news Droidboy ! Can't wait to see what's going to happen. :)

Do you have a mold-making problem for the clamps, or were you thinking about something totally different as a process ?

Great news Droidboy ! Can't wait to see what's going to happen. :)

Do you have a mold-making problem for the clamps, or were you thinking about something totally different as a process ?

Yes, I can ship stuff to the UK Unheard.

No mold making problem just didn't like how the clamp turned out.

What I've done is make a vac form buck that is the shape of the magnet and the flanges for the clamp. It pulls beautifully and looks really good, but it's just off dimension wise. I'll try to take photos today of the pieces and show you guys.

If I had a measurement of the board we all agreed on, I could have the board made too. Not that I am trying to be the Hoverboard guy, but I want to do a couple of these for me and have no problem making them for others.

I'm going to work on redoing my GA board this week to try some stuff out, but I don't think it's the right size, so it won't be my finished piece.

Gregg

P1050867.jpg

The white base is the vac form buck for the clamp. To me it looked a little too small but I had been looking at the GA one for so long who knows. Looking at General Frosty's it looks like it's pretty much right on.

What say you?

Gregg

I used to own the original 'Master Mold' parts that ICONS was going to use to do thier run of Hoverboard replicas.
I had a set of molds made from them before selling the set.
From what I have learned, the ICONS parts were molded right from the original prop.
Here they are painted and installed on my Hoverboard replica:
Hoverboard2.jpg

Hoverboard3.jpg

What size did you end up making your board?

My board was made by a guy that goes by the Ebay name Bttf123.
His boards, IMO, are the best out there - at the time he made mine, he had the authentic lenticular pattern available but has since run out. It is very hard to come by now.
Before selling my ICONS Hoverboard parts (which included the board as well as the magnet assembly) I took detailed photographs and measurements.
The board that was made for me is made of hard foam (like the original stunt boards) and is identical in size and shape to the original. It's not just the overall dimensions that are important - but the tapering of the angled edges.
The magnet assembly parts that came with my board were switched out with the ones from my mold.
I did sell one set of molded parts a year or two ago, but I think the guy had recast them and started selling his own boards. It's fine I guess since it's not my work, but once people start recasting and recasting, it makes the parts less special in a way. Since I owned the original 'master mold' parts, that gave me a certain right to make a mold and make copies for myself to use on my board. I sold an extra set to help someone out with thier own board but I believe they were recasted:cry
It used to be a secret - but the REAL dimensions of the board is:
28" x 8" x 1"
Hope this helps.

GF...first thanks for the info. You rock. Secondly that sucks that you did someone a favor and they did that to you.

Anyway you'd be willing to share any more info on the board? Particularly the length of the board to the tail break and the length of the tail and the angles of the edges?

Thanks,

Gregg

I would have to take some measurements (which I suck at) but I can share these things with you:
The end clamp (the one at the kicktail) had to be slightly bent as it rides up on the kicktail a little. I verified this with some screen shots. Remember that most of the stunt boards had vacume formed peices on the bottom to make the board lighter.
The taper on the bottom side of the board is longer/more angled than the taper on the top.
Your magnet assembly looks pretty glose to the real thing. I don't think you would need my parts at this rate - looking real good so keep up the good work.

Thanks for the good words. It's nice to know I'm on the right track. If you'd be willing to take those measurements, I'll have one of these cut out right away. I'm excited about the idea of actually getting this thing done after all these years.

Sorry for all the questions, but do you know what kind of foam? I was planning on doing mine out of MDF but I'm a little skeptical because of the weight.

Gregg

I have had these drawings with measurments for a while...can't remember who sent them to me, if the original maker wants them taken down just let me know!

Attachments

• HB_Layout_1.jpg
    HB_Layout_1.jpg
    747 KB · Views: 8,018
  • HB_Layout_2.jpg
    HB_Layout_2.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 7,601
I don't have much to say to be useful to this conversation, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I closely follow this thread's evolution. :)

I'm meeting with the machinist today. I hope to have a price for a complete kit minus graphics based on General Frosty's measurements.

I'll have some info later today and can probably even start an interest thread.

Gregg

I know there are two other guys who offer exceptional Hoverboard replicas at the moment so you do have some work to do, but your stuff looks pretty good so far.
If you want my opinion, offer replicas of the 'stunt' board (the one with the printed graphics) since most people always try to do the hero board with the lenticular and velcro. Since the exact lenticular is pretty rare, you would be better off doing the stunt foam board with the printed graphics.
For the board, I think he used two 1/2" thick foamcore boards glued together, then trimmed and shaped, and covered with some kind of sandable sealer to make everything smooth.

Oh, the drawings posted by tk5378 are the ones I've before, but they are vastly different than the 8" x 28" x 1" that General Frosty lists, although if he says that it's right I'm inclined to go with that I just need a consensus before I actually cut any parts.

Gregg

I got pricing from my machinist for doing these. I wouldn't personally want them done out of foam core, and MDF is too heavy, so we found a dense plastic that is nice.

I don't want to start an interest thread until everyone concurs on measurements, but feel free to PM me if there are questions.

Gregg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back