Big Daddy costume from Kick Ass

I've been doing some looking, and while I could be completely wrong, it looks to me like the vest he's wearing is something called a molle vest? I was looking on ebay and found one that looks similar, although not exact. Something along the lines of this is what I was able to find.

http://www.pyramydair.com/images/acc/LEPVC-V747B.jpg

Compared to what he's wearing here:

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.nationalpost.com/arts/movies/2911432.bin?size=614x414

Hopefully I'm not way too off base here. Hope this helps.

I've been doing some looking, and while I could be completely wrong, it looks to me like the vest he's wearing is something called a molle vest? I was looking on ebay and found one that looks similar, although not exact. Something along the lines of this is what I was able to find.

http://www.pyramydair.com/images/acc/LEPVC-V747B.jpg

Compared to what he's wearing here:

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.nationalpost.com/arts/movies/2911432.bin?size=614x414

Hopefully I'm not way too off base here. Hope this helps.

Those could be Molle straps or just the strapping system that holds that chest plate in place, it's hard to the....

I couldn't find the other thread concerning Big Daddy I posted in previously. However, I need some help confirming, but I think I may have sourced the gloves. These aren't riot gear gloves, but are Harley all weather gloves. They are called FXRG GAUNTLET GLOVES. Can anyone confirm if these are indeed the correct gloves? They look very, very close.

Short gauntlet. Check
Gauntlet length, shorter on thumb side. Check
Smooth Knuckle protector. Check
Smooth finger joint protector. Check
Ribbing on inside-palm. Check
Ribbing going up inside-palm fingers slightly. Check
Tapering cinch strap on underside of wrist. Check
Zig-zag stitch on topside of wrist. Check

I'll check my blu-ray disc and Art-of Book to see if the back-of-hand stitching is the same/similar.

Wholly Mackeral , man, how did you run across those gloves? I've been researching GAUNTLET GLOVES on Google for months and never ran across these before. But, there they are, plain as day with "FXRG GAUNTLET GLOVES" in the google search field.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this find with us. I'll give you credit on my howto site when I build the Big-Daddy costume tutorial.

Short gauntlet. Check
Gauntlet length, shorter on thumb side. Check
Smooth Knuckle protector. Check
Smooth finger joint protector. Check
Ribbing on inside-palm. Check
Ribbing going up inside-palm fingers slightly. Check
Tapering cinch strap on underside of wrist. Check
Zig-zag stitch on topside of wrist. Check

I'll check my blu-ray disc and Art-of Book to see if the back-of-hand stitching is the same/similar.

Wholly Mackeral , man, how did you run across those gloves? I've been researching GAUNTLET GLOVES on Google for months and never ran across these before. But, there they are, plain as day with "FXRG GAUNTLET GLOVES" in the google search field.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this find with us. I'll give you credit on my howto site when I build the Big-Daddy costume tutorial.

Thanks, mate. No problem. I noticed the gloves looked tactical in nature, but remember noticing a while back that motorcycle gloves also had that same look. It seemed a good avenue to pursue since I couldn't find anything remotely close on the tactical side and that's when I made the discovery.

I'm also looking for a good picture of the back of the neck. I don't know if it's my eyes playing tricks on me, but it looks as though there is a zipper at the back of the neck.?.? Can anyone see it? Or is it just my eyes playing tricks on me??

I think I found Big Daddy's jacket (what he wears under the body armor)

5.11 Tactical Series Packable Jacket, Dark Navy 4X

It definitely looks like he's wearing a zippered shirt underneath the armored vest. However, there's one small sign that shows this may not be the exact shirt and that is the seam that runs from the shoulder down the arm. (There's a small shot of a seam going on). It's definitely a doable piece, however, and can be made to work and would look great.

I've also been going back and forth on whether or not he's wearing a full armored tactical vest (with sleeves) and not sure if he is or not without better references. I've researched baseball, x-ray, tactical, overhead, plate carriers, etc. and have come up empty handed. The closest I've come is a safety vest and overhead chest protector. His vest almost appears like it has a camo like appearance. Other than that, empty handed. The molle vest posted has been the closest representation thus far. The search continues......

Thanks for the post, EnragedSith. :)

From this photo;

attachment.php

It looks like the chest plates are attached to a vest that has molle type webbing. But on the sides there are simple click locks. No real vest has these. The vest wraps around under the armpit and overlaps with velcro fasteners.
The arms look padded for size or bullet proof cloth, with plates attached.

It's a custom made prop.

The armor is mounted to a Molle vest with 3 snaps on each side. That is an easy mod if you can find a molle vest that has the same collar.

I've been following along this thread and have been looking for similar vests. Problem with most carriers is the cost. Ouch.

But, here is the closest I've found thus far. It's pricey, but the collar is just about the closest i've seen so far. However Big Daddy's Molle webbing goes a lot higher than this vest. Those clips make me think it's not a Ballistic Vest but more of a Load Bearing Carrier. Here's hoping we find something cheaper!
It's a Safariland CSI Vest

Second one I found looks a little better. It's another Safariland vest, this one called External Raid Vest Molle
Tactical Outer Carrier
Safariland Xtreme TOC Cover.

Most Ballistic Vest's don't have that V neck. The V neck seems to be more prevalent with Stab Vests; however the problem with that is that no stab vest is going to have those clips on the side. Kinda defeats the purpose. Kinda strengthens my theory that if there was a base vest, it'd be a Load Bearing Carrier. *sigh* more searching.

P.S. I bought boots very similar to those from Walmart. Steel toe and at a much cheaper price than those, around $40-$50 I think.
P.P.S I've never seen the comics until I started searching, and I never realized how huge Big Daddy really is in the comics. Maybe that's the reason they bulked up Nicholas Cage in the movie?

P.P.P.S I found this pic of Big Daddy and I think I just realized that the vest might not even have a V Neck. It looks like a neck piece that goes over the vest, and maybe serves as an attachment point for the shoulder pieces. hmmm, thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm also looking for a good picture of the back of the neck. I don't know if it's my eyes playing tricks on me, but it looks as though there is a zipper at the back of the neck.?.? Can anyone see it? Or is it just my eyes playing tricks on me??

I just saw the movie again and I can indeed confirm there is a zipper in the back of the neck. There is a good shot if it in the warehouse scene.

ref_bd_back_shoulders.jpg

This is a good back shot of BD in the warehouse (I upped the gamma about 20% to see the black details better). You can clearly see the zipper flopping at the bottom of the Shoulder Shawl. IS the zipper stitched on upside down, so the pulltab is on the bottom side of the Shawl? Looks like it.

I agree with Epilepticsquirl in thinking the Front V-shape is actually part of the shoulder shawl that zips up in the back. See the image below, the bottom edge trim of the V-shape is angled oddly to be part of the chest protector, it is more likely to be the edging of the Shawl area, and then the shawl is stitched down over the Molle Vest. In another of the "car crusher" shots I can see the imprint of the molle vest under the shawl cloth.
ref_bd_carcrusher_uppertoso_right.jpg

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE BIG DADDY MOLLE VEST IS ACTUALLY THE BACK OF A MOLLE VEST?

Last edited:
Decent shot of the back of the boots. I adjusted the gamma in the second shot so you can see details a little better. This gives more ammo in confirming Judge Hellfast's identification of the Magnum Elite II Boot. That "double-bubble-looking" area in the back is present in the Magnum boots.

Looks like the boot is completely LEATHER too, no Leather/Nylon hybrid.

ref_bd_carcrusher_backboot.jpg
ref_bd_carcrusher_backboot_adjusted.jpg

Another good shot of the boots confirming the ALL LEATHER style. This one is from an online promo poster image.

ref_bd_boots_promoposter2.jpg

Last edited:
IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE BIG DADDY MOLLE VEST IS ACTUALLY THE BACK OF A MOLLE VEST?

Great reference pics, SC! This helps out A LOT. I think you're on the right track with the molle vest being turned around backwards. I ran across a molle vest where the back looked just like BD's front with the same clips on the side, etc, and began to wonder that myself. The V-NECK kept throwing me off track, however. Now we know the V-Neck is actually a seperate piece, I need to go back and find that vest. I will post it when I run across it.

I'm willing to entertain that notion. The more and more I look at it, I'm leaning towards a Plate Carrier Vest. Kinda like this one.
Plate Carrier from 5.11 TACTICAL

This rig looks promising, the vest is not quite the same, but it comes with the shoulder armor. It'd be an ideal starting point for the costume at least; and at around $100 not too steep of an investment. I might go this route if push comes to shove.
Condor Complete Outer Plate Carrier Vest #OTVGS

Off to search for more!

Epilepticsquirl, Ooo, that shoulder armor hanging off the shoulders of the Plate Carrier Vest looks very promising. I think you have something there. In the movie and in the promo images you can see an arm sleeve slipped over an under-jacket.

I cannot make out whether that sleeve is all the way down the arm, or just to the elbow, but your Plate Carrier Vest gives us hope.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back