Doctor Who: 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Defined Thread!

Jack T Chance

Sr Member
FINALLY! At long last, the new season of Doctor Who is here! And with it, a brand-new Doctor, with a brand-new TARDIS set, and... a brand-new Sonic Screwdriver!

And after months of waiting, we FINALLY have the first truly good picture of an actual filming prop! Here it is...

11thDoctorSonicActualProp.jpg

It's been said in the thread about the official licensed replicas of this Sonic that the white portion of the handgrip is a found item! Any of our members from the UK have any idea what it might be? :confused

As I find other good images of this sonic, I'll be sure to post them. And I'm sure others will do the same, as well. :cool

Allons-y! :)

The white part is made from corian which suggests a high quality bath or shower part.

Meh... could be anything from cheap plastic to ivory (doubtful) but just because it looks smooth and white doesn't mean it's corian.

I also think the black middle piece looks found... reminds me of something... :confused Also, the coppery end piece is quite reminiscent of the end of an pneumatic air chuck fitting.

Meh... could be anything from cheap plastic to ivory (doubtful) but just because it looks smooth and white doesn't mean it's corian.

I also think the black middle piece looks found... reminds me of something... :confused Also, the coppery end piece is quite reminiscent of the end of an pneumatic air chuck fitting.

If they say it was corian and the only found piece, I believe them. I don't see a reason to lie about it to me.

On the toy version that black section has stitches in it eluding to leather wrapping. On this picture you can sort of make out the stitching there as well. It could be a custom leather wrap rather than a found item.

If the white part is supposed to be a found part... I'm going to say someone got clever and used an actual screwdriver handle! Would it be the first of all the screwdriver designs to actually use a screwdriver?

I'd like it if he had more than just one, but I don't see why the new Doctor and all those after him can't spice it up with a little "Allons-y!" every once in a while. I would have thought a nice touch in "The Beast Below" was to have had one of the kids say to the Doctor "hey mister, want a jelly baby?" Be nice to know they are still around centuries from now. Or River this coming week could have some in her pocket.

I miss the deadly jelly baby.

lol I was watching the old Pertwee episode "The Three Doctors" the other day and noticed that Pat Troughton had a bag of Jelly babies. :lol

Okay guys... Here's an interesting find.
So I'm under the impression that the image in the first post is of the screen used item. The screw in the white portion and the hazy look to the led were cited as the tells for this fact.
So here's where I'm fuzzy... I just searched entertainment earth for sonics and they are advertising a 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Flashlight.
Checkout the pic they are using!
bd642b8e.jpg

It's the same image! So what is there to make of all this. Are they just using that image cause they like it or what?
Anybody have the lowdown on this?

Here's the page link...

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=UTDR109

Okay guys... Here's an interesting find.
So I'm under the impression that the image in the first post is of the screen used item. The screw in the white portion and the hazy look to the led were cited as the tells for this fact.
So here's where I'm fuzzy... I just searched entertainment earth for sonics and they are advertising a 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Flashlight.
Checkout the pic they are using!
bd642b8e.jpg

It's the same image! So what is there to make of all this. Are they just using that image cause they like it or what?
Anybody have the lowdown on this?

Here's the page link...

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=UTDR109

That's a picture of the actual prop. You can tell by teh pixels.

The silver knurled part (all four of them) look like they have come from an architect's kit of drawing implements, a compass or something similar. Or even a scalpel. The ones where you have a screw fitting to tighten all four parts together as they grip a lead or blade or something. I had something like it back at school.

that's kinda what I figured... gonna make a few people mad when they pre-order and then don't receive a screen accurate replica for their flashlight! :lol
I just wish they did have a pic of the actual product. I'll probably pick up a few to tinker with.
Oh well.

They've done it before with other stuff besides that torch. I think for a little while they did it with the vortex manipulator.

I already snabbed up one through thinkgeek; it should be on the way today. Grabbed a tenth via Amazon as well. After twenty years, my inner Whovian has busted loose. ~sigh~

There's a wealth of demos on Youtube, if you don't mind many pre-pubescent commentators, further insuring oldguy guilt for snapping up toys meant for fellows that have not yet discovered women. ~grin~

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back