AKIRA experimental laser rifle

Dudleywigley

Hello all! great to finally register here and amongst it all - last year I built a 1:1 Scale replica of the laser rifle from the seminal manga and anime AKIRA. I used the manga version as it was more detailed than the pared down cartoon version. It's a weighty piece and comes apart in the centre for storage as well as the power pack being detachable.

Let me know what you think of it?

webtogether.jpg

topbd.jpg

webleft.jpg

Welcome to the club!

Thats a very nice replica of the laser rifle, It's definitely a propr I'd like to have in my collection! Nice work.

How long did it take you to put together, and if you don't mind saying, what materials did you use to build it?

Thanks for the kind words - it took about two solid weeks to put together, once I started on it I couldn't stop.

The main body and powerpack is wood (offcuts from a new kitchen worktop) - PVC tubing for the upper pipe and "mag" and thick PVC card for detailing.

TV cabling and sockets for the powerpack connectors

The Manga version is interesting, but I think it has too much junk on it. It looks more like they stuck alot of random technical bits on it for the sake of looking cooler, I think the Film version is more streamlined and looks like something the Military would actaully be using.

I forget which workshop made it but there's an awesome rendition of the film version in the Mechanix magazine that was built for a photoshoot.

Last edited:
Nicely done DudleyWigley! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup It's always nice to see props from the pages. Welcome to the board!

I'd not seen one before myself, which is one of the reasons I decided to build one - great to see the anime version - I agree the more streamlined version worked well in the film with all the hopping about Kaneda had to do - if he tried it with mine he'd end up with serious injuries - it's a bit of a beast!

One great masterpiece. Honestly you have crafted this with perfection it looks just like the manga! I loved both the film and the original and this is really cool to see in real life. I would love to own one.

You don't see many Akira props - I can only think of the bike and the jacket that have been made before. But that laser rifle looks great. Very believable.

Mabey they will use your prop in the live action film LOL. Somthing tells me the movie will be bad. But anyways How did you sculpt the gun and battery pack?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back