Beginner Question on Stormtrooper Armor

Egon

Sr Member
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a little help. I got my tax refund and I'm looking to buy my first real stormtrooper helmet. THIS IS NOT A WHERE TO BUY!

I am looking at a reputable dealer, but I'm just not sure what the process is like since I've never done this before.

Could any of you PM (not sure if any info should be public...or even if i should be asking in the forum...)me with a little info on what I should expect and how the process goes, also anything that should send up some flags?

Thanks!

Do your research...

GO to http://www.whitearmor.net

In fact there are a few nice helmets for sale in their personal sales section... http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showforum=11

DON'T buy from Ebay if you want good quality non-recast stuff. That's my best advice!

And you have to ask yourself... what are you looking for exactly? 100% screen accurate? A close too accurate trooping bucket?

Because the materials different helmets are made from may sway your descision...

If you are going for as close to screen used as you can currently get... probably a TE on HDPE is as close as is available at the moment. But like the originals... paint doesnt want to stick to HDPE and eventually will crack and chip JUST like the originals.

Any other REALLY crisp sharp copies are probably going to be UBER thin styrene, which for trooping... isn't the best. Drop once and it's broken.

Now you could go with an AP if you can find one... pretty sharp for a 3rd gen casting made in thick durable ABS. probably the best average of accurate and trooping durability

Now thats just MY opinion on a few of the different makes you may find floating around for sale. Different people have differing opinions on the makers, materials, lineage etc.

Personally I think Gino's helmets are the closest looking to the original... ESP the hero wich was made of ABS in the films and also by Gino (you wont find one for sale and if you did it will cost you 3-4 times what another make will)

Again... do your research!!!

Go to starwarshelmets.com compare the different makers and screen captures of the original helmets along with pictures of surviving screen used helmets and their condition today.

You may find that you don't even know which one you want... or you may end up realising you want something totally different than what you thought you did originallly!

There are alot of options... it's actually a pretty complicated question to answer! LOL!

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a little help. I got my tax refund and I'm looking to buy my first real stormtrooper helmet. THIS IS NOT A WHERE TO BUY!

I am looking at a reputable dealer, but I'm just not sure what the process is like since I've never done this before.

Could any of you PM (not sure if any info should be public...or even if i should be asking in the forum...)me with a little info on what I should expect and how the process goes, also anything that should send up some flags?

Thanks!

Hi, how much are you wanting to spend? Are you keen on accuracy, or just want something cheap?

I can get you in touch with AP, his armor is probably the best you can get, both durable, and accurate... and is not a recast. I would. Send me a PM whenever you like :):thumbsup

Hi, how much are you wanting to spend? Are you keen on accuracy, or just want something cheap?

I can get you in touch with AP, his armor is probably the best you can get, both durable, and accurate... and is not a recast. I would. Send me a PM whenever you like :):thumbsup

Wasn't his stuff more of a recast by permission kinda thing? I know its basically a cleaned up version of a GF which is a cleaned up version from Gino's original mold that turned into... nevermind... LOL!

Again DO YOUR RESEARCH, FIND OUT WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!

But I do agree that an AP is a GREAT first time buyer helmet! And deffinately the best average of accurate and durable! But not TOO accurate with all the bumps and blobs that most average people don't know about and usually are turned off by at first... :confused

Hey everyone!

Thanks!

Reputable dealer? okay -the process is generally you send him money through paypal and then in a few days you'll get your helmet. (ask if he has to make it, or he has it on hand) if he has to make it it'll take longer.

Flags: they should take paypal. If you have to pay by money order that's a red flag. (unless you implicitly trust the guy and know him personally) They may ask you, if you pay through paypal to pick up the paypal fees which are 4-5% now.

Find out what helmet you're getting: There are many different kinds of trooper helmets. like people said above, do your research. whitehelmet is great but I always felt that star wars helmets with it's quick pictoral categories of different helmets a great resource.

good luck - happy hunting.

Thanks you guys!

I have a strong hold on what helmet I want, just needed to know more about the process so I don't get duped...far too early for me to get soured on the hobby!

After looking for well over a year, I've decided the an ATA is best for me. Its definitely in my price range, comes with everything i need to complete it (with the exception of paint and screws) and its styrene which i am comfortable working with (failed attempts in the past left with a nifty trooper belt that I can use as a Han Solo on the Death Star look...I can post pics if anyone is interested in that).

All in all, I feel like the ATA is a bargain. I know that some people have issues with its origins...but it seems like a fine helmet.

ATA is a mighty fine helmet. I got 2 test pull kits from ATA last year. Top notch stuff if you ask me. Not to mention ATA is a stand up guy. :thumbsup

Wasn't his stuff more of a recast by permission kinda thing? I know its basically a cleaned up version of a GF which is a cleaned up version from Gino's original mold that turned into... nevermind... LOL!

Again DO YOUR RESEARCH, FIND OUT WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!

But I do agree that an AP is a GREAT first time buyer helmet! And definitely the best average of accurate and durable! But not TOO accurate with all the bumps and blobs that most average people don't know about and usually are turned off by at first... :confused

nope... AP is not a recast... GF sold his molds to AP... I think you may be thinking of ATA... his a recast by permission from TE... AP uses GF's unmodified "stunt" style molds.

from what I've been told... TE is from the same lineage (or even a recast) but he uses lower gauge plastic so it does show a bit more detail. The only difference was that a few parts had to be sculpted, and created from scratch, so there are some parts that look different (shoulder bells, hand plates, etc.). I've also been told by several expert members that the bumps everyone refers to as being more accurate is actually just a misconception... its from the mold warping, not the original detail.

I have heard many great things about the ATA helmet, however I've also heard in a few forums that the area around the mic tips can be thin. These posts seem to be from when ATA first hit the scene, so it may have been remedied.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this? Do other helmets have similar issues because of the gauge of the styrene? I believe that the ATA faceplate is .06 while some others are .08. I don't anticipate trooping with it (lack of funds are preventing me from purchasing the whole armor kit) so I am not as much concerned with it holding up in action as I am with the dangers of assembly.

Most thin styrene TK helmets will be thin in certain areas like the mic tip recessed areas.

You can use e6000 glue and some additional plastic on the inside to make it more durable though.

Thanks Oldken, you've been very helpful!

I like it when this forum is supportive and not nasty. Even as a lurker, its nice

I have heard many great things about the ATA helmet, however I've also heard in a few forums that the area around the mic tips can be thin. These posts seem to be from when ATA first hit the scene, so it may have been remedied.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this? Do other helmets have similar issues because of the gauge of the styrene? I believe that the ATA faceplate is .06 while some others are .08. I don't anticipate trooping with it (lack of funds are preventing me from purchasing the whole armor kit) so I am not as much concerned with it holding up in action as I am with the dangers of assembly.

most helmets are like this actually, even the AP is a bit thin around the Mic Tips, but it holds up very well because its ABS, and a higher gauge at that... styrene tends to crack and yellow easier, but if you aren't trooping with it, I think you should be okay. You can either glue or drill the mic tips with no problem... just don't press on it.

Another thing to do, which worked for me, was to paint the inside of the helmet with Plasti-dip spray paint. I added some T-shirt and superglue to the thin areas like the mic tips on the inside of the helmet. Then to add to the thickness and finish it off with the Plasi-dip spray. It seamed to make it a little more durable also.
I picked it up at Lowes in the spray paint area. The stuff works great for other effects also. Check it out sometime.

Just some FYI,

Thanks Pandatrooper!

I've been making my way through the whitearmor forums and have seen some fantastic work from you!

I think you may be thinking of ATA... his a recast by permission from TE...
Interesting. I've heard conflicting stories on this.

If permission is given, then it is not a recast, but is a copy or reproduction. The term "recast" was coined to label those who copy without permission - eg: stealing from others.

Last I heard, no permission was given.

I used to have ATA's email...I contacted him about armor, but didn't buy. Can anyone PM me his contact info so I can pursue this again?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back