New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

That has got to be one of the better endings. I thought Missy was particularly good as the mad as a hater (get it!) Master but I think Marvel should sue the BBC. Got to question the sensibility of getting into an aircraft when the Ironmen, sorry I meant Cybermen, can fly though. Did like the kind of cameo at the end, that was quite clever and moving. I really like the darker tone to some of the series episodes ,and there were some seriously brutal moments in this. Come to think of it there was no happy ending for anyone at all . I like it!!!!!!

That said however, I find I'm well prepared to hate the Christmas episode by the look of it.

I hope that isn't the end for Missy, despite how it appeared. I rather liked her, though I could have done with a little less channelling Jon Simms being "bananas." Shame about Osgood.

I was expecting the whole "why did I choose this face" bit to play in during the flashbacks, hopefully that'll come up at some point. Things seem to have gone wibbly with "Listen" though with Danny dead. Maybe that's what Clara asks Santa for Christmas if she's in that episode.

Last edited:
three_months.jpg

Looooved it. I was very unsure about Missy until this episode. I was a big fan of john simm. I loved how "broken" he was. And this is a perfect successor to his master.

As far as her "endgame" was, it was a bit confused. Was it to provide the doctor an army (thus proving that he is just as tyrannical as his foes) or was she also going to destroy the human species?

If it was the former, then that seems like a LOT of work to prove a point. But then again, "bananas"

Looooved it. I was very unsure about Missy until this episode. I was a big fan of john simm. I loved how "broken" he was. And this is a perfect successor to his master.

As far as her "endgame" was, it was a bit confused. Was it to provide the doctor an army (thus proving that he is just as tyrannical as his foes) or was she also going to destroy the human species?

If it was the former, then that seems like a LOT of work to prove a point. But then again, "bananas"

It's also worth pointing out that regenerations tend to modify personalities somewhat. The overall goal may be the same, but the method of execution is frequently different.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the finale, especially the touch at the end where each character shields each other. It really helped bring home how Clara had really kind of "become" the Doctor in her own way.

Those UNIT soldiers guarding the Mistress were the most incompetent guards in the history of guarding. Killing of Osgood was lame. She was one of the few interesting non companions characters to show up. The last bit with Danny sending the Iraqi kid 'back from the afterlife' was so amazingly stupid. He was vaporized in the clouds with the rest of the Cybermen. The Nethersphere was just a virtual environment. Suggesting that he was able to take the bracelet and send a kid who was dead back to life was just .. insulting.

Other than that, loved the "Night of the Living Dead" Cybermen from the graveyards, the 'return' of the Brigadier, and the Mistress overall.

I don't think Missy is dead. Everyone she disintegrates went up in an orange flash. But when the Doctor takes the device from Clara he definitely changes something on it, so she disappears in a blue flash rather as she did earlier.

The brigadier cyberman shot Missy, that's why they turned round to look at her.

The Master was always getting killed though, its a minor inconvenience at best.

Question so did every dead person comeback as a cybermen? And if you do comeback as a cyberman...your "Soul/Memories " are put back? Every shot of any graveyard scene, All I could think about was Amy and Rory coming back as cybermen. And what the heck with Osgood, why do that to her?

Enjoyed 90% of it. Didn't like (or understand) the end with the 'afterlife' suddenly being an actual thing that the bracelet can send the kid back from. "The Doctor explained..." says Clara. Well, not to the viewers, he didn't. Also, add me to the list of people unhappy that Osgood died. I liked the character (and I like the actress). As a companion she would have been refreshingly different from all-action-wonder-girl-Clara. I think we could have had some fun watching the UNIT-Nerd match wits and eccentricities with the Doctor, gradually gaining confidence in herself. Plus, a companion who needs to stop and use her inhaler might have eased the stigma some younger kids feel about having asthma. And just think of all the past adventures she's read in the UNIT files, and the alien tech she might have studied... lots of story potential there. Moffat says she had to die to show how evil Missy was, I disagree.

Question so did every dead person comeback as a cybermen? And if you do comeback as a cyberman...your "Soul/Memories " are put back? Every shot of any graveyard scene, All I could think about was Amy and Rory coming back as cybermen. And what the heck with Osgood, why do that to her?

Didn't they have a line or two about how not every grave had been emptied yet? They had that line also about a Cyberman for every major population center, but then they only showed the British Isles so maybe they hadn't gotten to New York yet?

I did not think much of the episode. The only real high points for me were the old school Cyberman head near the beginning and the salute at the end.

I am really tired of the grand, season/series long arcs. To me they do not really work out.

I did not think much of the episode. The only real high points for me were the old school Cyberman head near the beginning and the salute at the end.

I am really tired of the grand, season/series long arcs. To me they do not really work out.
The thing is, they aren't actually arcs. They do a regular episode, but there's like one line or moment that alludes to the finale. That's hardly an ongoing b-plot.

I like long stories, but these are more like tokens

The thing is, they aren't actually arcs. They do a regular episode, but there's like one line or moment that alludes to the finale. That's hardly an ongoing b-plot.

I like long stories, but these are more like tokens
Tokens or arcs, they do not work for me. At this point when they show the first hint I roll my eyes and think, "ugh, what will it be this time?"

Tokens or arcs, they do not work for me. At this point when they show the first hint I roll my eyes and think, "ugh, what will it be this time?"
I get it. I think the only one that kinda worked was the crack in the wall. Because they gave it enough time over the series.

The best formula for a long arc is to have an A story and a B story present in every episode. The B story is the larger one. But in most episodes, it takes the back seat only to take the front seat at pivotal moments.

Stargate was a master of this formula.

Doctor who is not

Yeah, I agree that the season arcs, at least in the Moffat era, aren't that great. The concept of them could be good, but the execution always seems botched. RTD was better at this, I think, where you found out that little hints that you'd have to re-watch were part of the arc, but it wasn't really presented as an arc exactly. More like easter eggs or very small breadcrumbs leading to a contained story.

Moffat's arcs always seem to be too "grand" and end up feeling rushed at the end.

You know what were the best arcs this season? The actual arcs. Clara's detachment from humanity and exploration of her personality. Her relationship with Danny pulling her in different directions. The Doctor and Clara's gradually strained relationship now that he wasn't her floppy-haired pseudo-boyfriend. Those were stories that developed over the season, rather than Missy looking evil for 4 minutes at the end of an episode hinting at "HEY, I'M GOING TO BE IMPORTANT! OOOH WHAT COULD I BE?!"

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back