New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I really liked Clara when she was introduced, but now, she's too self-aware & WAY too self-important. Instead of the awe that traveling with the Doctor usually inspires in a companion, she seems to think she's the boss. When Capaldi ordered her into the TARDIS, I yelled, "FINALLY !!!". Then they had her use it again on him, albeit, for his own good.

As far as the 'baddie', there has got to be more than this to it. On the surface, it would seem that the Doctor was the 1st thing in history to have the experience & accompanying fear. Then, he's somehow repressed the memory, & psychically gave it to everyone else as a dream.

So, was the Doctor the baddie? Or a future version of himself? One clue was that Clara said that the 'LISTEN' that the Doctor saw appear on the chalkboard, was his own handwriting. The thing at the end of the universe may have had some interaction with the Doctor, based on the head injury, but the Doctor was conscious when future Pink pulled him into the TARDIS. So what knocked him out?

Remember outside the Children's Home? He said that meeting oneself could have catastrophic consequences. He also said that he thought he would be the 'Last Man Standing' at the end of time. Maybe he was?

BUT...

When the thing appeard in 'Rupert's' bed, it was short & had a flesh color to it. It almost looked bald, too. There was definitely some thing there that didn't look like the Doctor.

Or we can take what the episode said-Fear alone is our constant companion. If so, then what was under the blanket was only a projection of young Danny's mind. But Clara saw it, too. Like I said at the beginning, I think there's more to this than just what we saw tonight.

I'm also going to be on the lookout for chalk. In the 1st ep, he woke up sniffing out a piece of chalk, & immediately started doing some sort of calculations. If I'm not mistaken, we've seen him working on similar calculations on the TARDIS in every episode except tonight's. The chalk & blackboard, however, were still extremely prominent. Now, if at the end of the series, he suddenly declares something he's been working on that will solve the overarching story, some will cry foul. I think that that will reinforce what they've said they're trying to reinforce this series. The Doctor is an alien. His method's & thought processes are not like ours. Maybe it's something bigger, like he woke up calculating how to bring back Gallifrey? Maybe nothing.

Last random thought, but I did not realize that the barn from the 50th was on Gallifrey. They never said that it wasn't, but I had the impression that all of Gallifrey was under attack, so he went to a different planet. Looking back, though, with what he was going to do, I guess it'd HAVE to happen on Gallifrey.

I REALLY liked "Listen" I thought it was really a good true to form Moffat episode. And not a word from Missy and Heaven. That's how it should be, let Moffat write the one off or two parters, but give someone else the arc stuff.

It sounds like from the doctors description of the creature, it is the Silents. "Listen" is an anagram for "Silent".
Beside that particular alien has not been compleatly overdone yet so we know they have to come back. :lol

Last edited:
It sounds like from the doctors description of the creature, it is the Silents. "Listen" is an anagram for "Silent".
Beside that particular alien has not been compleatly overdone yet so we know they have to come back. :lol

The Doctor referenced the Silence a couple of times in this episode but the entity in the bed was too small. Actually it confused my perception of where the story was going at that point. I enjoyed the ending as it showed the Doctor's insecurities as a child, and continues to build on his character.

I think the thing in the bed was another kid from the home, but when he saw the two adults in the room he just panicked and decided to keep quiet.

I saw they specifically blurred whatever it was. I never thought it was a kid from the home unless the Doctor let him/her in. They entered at about the same time.

I think the thing in the bed was another kid from the home, but when he saw the two adults in the room he just panicked and decided to keep quiet.

I don't think the "monster" was a kid from the home. I do think that the "monster" was the Doctor or Clara or Rupert or Danny. I think the "monster" is a manifestation of who ever has the biggest fear at the time. I think that is how the "monster" lives. If there is no fear, there is no monster. However, I don't like how Clara all of a sudden became the most influential person in the whole history of the Doctor. If we are to believe that the child in the bed in the barn was the Doctor, then she is the one that influenced him to become a time lord. I don't like that. It isn't that I don't like Clara, I just want less revelation about the Doctor, at least until they decide to actually pull it off the air permanently.

Something had to make him be the way he is. And when you're dealing with time travel constantly, predestination paradox is going to happen.

OK Can someone open the TARDIS door and push Clara into the time winds please? I have seriously had MORE than my fill of The Doctor playing second fiddle to a companion. I understand she was important but it has now become like the show is about her and her trusty sidekick timelord. I never cared for Clara all that much but now I dislike her almost as much as I hated Donna Noble.

I'm finding it more difficult to understand the Doctor - the Scottish accent and his often rapid fire delivery has me struggling at times.

I've seen some thing's pop up about Silent, many of them raving about it. I think a lot of the implications from it, kinda went over my head the first watch... it's fascinating. if not still more than a bit muddy.

Sometimes questions are more important than answers... and this episode had lots of questions that will probably never have answers.

I liked Clara Asylum of the Daleks and the Xmas snowmen episode. I even liked her in the 50th but havent liked where they took the character. Donna Noble was one of the best though in my book. The only part that I didn't like about her was when she would talk down about herself but it was understandable given how her mom told her she was worthless all the time.

OK Can someone open the TARDIS door and push Clara into the time winds please? I have seriously had MORE than my fill of The Doctor playing second fiddle to a companion. I understand she was important but it has now become like the show is about her and her trusty sidekick timelord. I never cared for Clara all that much but now I dislike her almost as much as I hated Donna Noble.

Another middle of the road episode but I'm with some others here in that I tune in for the Doctor, not the companion. They did too much of this crap with Amy as well.

Capaldi would be great on his own for a while I think. Or how about a male companion who's actually the primary companion? It's been forever since they've had one and I think it would freshen the dynamic a bit.

They won't do it, but I think it would be interesting.

Much better this week, bit of a crazy plot done at a looney tunes pace but quite enjoyable for all that. They certainly got their bucks worth from that long corridor set! Capaldis Doc really seemed to come into his own this week and fitted the role far more comfortably than last, and the whole story seemed fresh and lively. I could almost forgive all those massive vents they roled into and out of without any trouble. I liked the Teller, an interesting and well done alien monster. I also found Clara far less annoying than last week and ,I have to say, quite appealing for a change.

I liked The Teller, Keeley Hawes mentions in the online 'extra (the much shorter replacement for confidential) that she was impressed with the animatronics, and Capaldi said it makes it much easier to give the right performance
I liked Clara's outfit this week, much more practical for off-world, time-travel adventures (including a mention of changing out of the heels) - made her look a little more grown-up, too. It kinda reminded me of Sarah Jane, or (more likely because of her height) Ellen Paige

I wasn't as fond of this weeks, it felt very disposable, very much filler.

And I would have hoped Keeley Hawes would have had a better part.

I really liked this episode! It was nice to have new characters, a new villain, and a non-Earth location. It was nice to see memory worms used again. The music was particularly nice. Overall it reminded me of an episode of Hustle or Leverage. The evil businesswoman thing needs to get retired, though. It would be nice to see Psi in another episode.

not quite off topic but still....
doctor who.jpg

For any one who wants them I have Quite a few photos' of daleks and Cybermen...ideal for reference materials...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back