New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Agreed. I hate the rushed feeling. Tennant was the worst at that. I also hate how it's all "Pull solution out of your butt" in the last few minutes. I liked the old school way of having time to actually have a conversation and plan, not just shouting and running.

A nice start. Don't care for the new opening sequence, new theme or new logo at all. The classic styling that was revealed a few months back was alright, but this written out on one line version with the giant DW smack in the middle really looks lame to me. Blech. Maybe I'll get used to it. But right now I'm rather cold towards it. I wonder if they even tried to bring the "face" back to the title sequence?

Matt was good, Karen was good, for a Regen-recovery/introduce a New doctor & companion the episode worked very well. The story itself worked fine for what it had to do. Did feel a bit rushed yes. There seemed to be a nod (intentional or accidental) to all of Moffat's previous Who scripts. Adored the nod to the previous Doctors at the end and the semi-Pertwee nod in how Smith got his new clothes.

Love the new console room- still not 100% on the new console itself. Felt it was a cheat that it just spit out a new Sonic without him having to actually make it which I would have preferred.

But look, in the end most of these are niggles - I enjoyed it- bring on next week.

But the thing that COMPLETELY won me over was a somewhat obscure but huge nod to old Who was at the end when they both walk in the Tardis - his coat rack is there.

I loved that too, I have a coat rack just like this! I love it, but can't ever see it as it's always got bloody coats on it!

I loved that too, I have a coat rack just like this! I love it, but can't ever see it as it's always got bloody coats on it!

lol, I noticed that as well. I was very happy about it ^_^

Maybe they're just trying to make it easier for us builders to recreate! :lol

But that's just cheating! XD That's almost giving them a reason to not try harder XD

You nailed the console :lol:lol:lol:lol. When I saw that pic I totally thought of the console.

I think it is a good sign that everyone so far has liked the new Doctor. I do not think Tennet was fairing as well here on the board when his first episode was aired. That is a good sign.

Could the crack in this series be the same crack that was going to the alternate universe in the 3/4 seasons? The Daleks and Cyberman were kind of hanging out in there anyway.

I couldn't help it! XD When i had seen the bell and the weird little bits that make noises when you flip them it was the first thing that came to mind. Now just glue six of them together around a big clear cylinder and VIOLA! Your very own Tardis Console XD

The one thing that did annoy me was the "foreshadowing" of what's to come. It worked for the RTD era. I kinda like being surprised by stuff, it's all well and good letting us know that something coming but just spring it on us already.

Dan

Yes, I agree completely. I absolutely loved the episode, and the new doctor surprised me with how easy he is to like. Great choices for casting all around, and a great kick off to a new doctor.

But the heavy handed foreshadowing and set up for the season arc was just too much. In the RTD years, he would drop VERY subtle little things that you would just simply not pick up. Like a kid spray painting "Bad Wolf" on a street corner, or a TV in the background talking about the new PM. But nothing "in yo face" about what was to come. I dunno, just seemed a little sloppy. What I liked about the RTD arcs is that when they finally started coming together, you would think back to earlier episodes (or upon re-watching them) and go "eureka!" when you noticed someting. But now, with all those clumsy clues dropped all over the place of things to come, I feel like I"m being led by the nose to the story, not cleverly following bread crumbs.

BUT with all of that said, that is a VERY minor complaint in the backdrop of what was a really great episode. I'm very excited about the rest of the season!

I liked it. On the intro I only didn't like the lightning and the lightning sound when the Tardis left the girl the first time. I mean come on is this Bill and Ted or Dr Who?

For anyone looking to make a start on the ultimate in Prop Replicas... I found the Hexagonal 'Roundels' from the new console room.

I resisted the temptation to start looking around for the light.

Been listening to the new theme tune on the website.... it's better without the lightning FX and you can hear the synth sounds clearer, which is something I felt was lacking in the last couple of arrangements. I still don't like the overly long and cheesy intro to it and I'd much prefer it without the trance/techno beat.

I suspect it'll grow on me, but it's not going to be one of my favourite versions of the theme.

*Ka-thunk!*

That was the sound of the 11th Doctor clicking wonderfully into my mind.

I still can't stand the intro sequence, but I have fallen completely into the 11th Doctor fanboy crowd and am overjoyed by it.

And that click hasn't happened since... Well, since Eccleston I suppose if I were to be really particular, although Tennant was a 3/4 click for me as well.

But it's just good to know that after seeing this second episode, I get to be as rabidly supportive of No. 11 as any raving fan would be- Mr. Smith has completely and totally won me over, and now I shall think of him as a fantastic Doctor Who :lol

Eleventh Hour was the 11th Doctor sliding into the gap in the lego-construct that is Doctor who. The Beast Below, that was the solid connection that helps make that awesome multi-story house, with bits from space lego, because, y'know, SPACE LEGO WAS COOL.

On a more serious note; that just hit beats. every few minutes: Bam, bam, bam.

Loved the setup for Episode 3 at the end. Loved having the setup in the preceding episode rather than in a 'next time'.

Lovely stuff.

Great ep, I love seeing more of matt smith as the doctor, he really has alot of demensions to him, and did anyone notice the magpie electric sign, nice touch

The writing was way better in this episode than the first. And I'm really liking the almost Tom Baker style portrayal of the Doctor Smith has started to do. The episode felt a little rushed, but I realized at the end it was just because I was enjoying it so much it flew by. Can't wait to see more. (The CG right at the end did take me out of it though, just terrible.)

No, Not 2 for 2 - Lets be honest - that second outing was a bit ****. Mawkish over manipulative sentimentality doesn't impress me much.

Space whale? Why would a big kind cuddly space whale have scorpion stings growing out of it's back? And if it was the last of it's kind It makes Scotlands decision to have a separate ship a bit of an own goal! Separate, but dead! The plotting was poor and seemed rushed.

However - with one line "Nobody human has anything to say to me today!" Matt Smith took another little jump up in my estimations.

I have to agree that Matt Smith is really making his mark, really great stuff. I really am looking forward to next weeks ep, the preview looks great, and there is a tastly looking Paper Prop I'd like to have on my wall! Love it!

ToVictory.jpg

Good character work again, but the plotting was definateley off. The whole setup of how the society worked just seemed contrived and didn't follow any kind of real logic.

Are they now saying that only the UK survived the destruction of Earth?

I enjoyed this episode immensely, and the Doctor is coming into place nicely for me! It's sci-fi for people who don't particularly *like* sci-fi. My wife's going to love it once I show her. :)

It sounds like the people of Earth destroyed themselves, and the UK won whatever battle or conflict (or else just the remaining survivors). Consequently, they had to do something they felt was so horrible and ethically wrong that they constructed a social standard around the forgetting.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back